Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Have you been sitting in it making engine noises yet? Be truthful :D

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

3. Budget36

Budget36

I normally don't use this line but

"That's traditional"

4. vetrod62

vetrod62

The reason I said to not run the 4.56 chevy posi is, you can sell it for lots of $$. I sold my 4.11s with housing for $1100+ 1n 2013. They must be worth more today. You have to consider that most of these restorer noobs never owned these cars and only wished for them in their youths and and dreams and want to restore these cars like they built plastic models as children. Once you break the parts , they are worthless. That money will get you more toward build goals.

The whole clutch, flywheel, Horse power, and the ultimate use of the car is a complicated issue involving lots of money. I went through a lot of clutch parts to get it right.
    upload_2020-9-28_23-17-18.png

Btw, Hays builds street clutch assemblies , RAM builds real racing assemblies. Jim

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  5. noboD

noboD

loudbang, scotty t, enloe and 2 others like this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Of course! Plus I ate lunch and tried to take a nap underneath it today! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, -Brent-, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. How do you decide which cool car to work on?:D

8. loudbang

loudbang

And what looks like a hefty battery cable is the battery mounted in the trunk?

Elcohaulic and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. -Brent-

-Brent-

This is an EXCELLENT project. Man, I don't know you and I'm thrilled for you!

enloe, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  10. Great score!:cool: Please clean the windshield.:oops:

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Once you break the parts , they are worthless. That money will get you more toward build goals.

The whole clutch, flywheel, Horse power, and the ultimate use of the car is a complicated issue involving lots of money. I went through a lot of clutch parts to get it right.
    View attachment 4830807

Btw, Hays builds street clutch assemblies , RAM builds real racing assemblies. Jim[/QUOTE]

Vetterod62,

That is an awesome picture! Lol
    I tend to lay at night thinking about clutch options and the perfect set up.

My 4.5 posi is not a P case. We built it for my 57 passenger car. Now the one in the 61 is a P case and yes I totally agree. Why beat the crap out of something the restoration guys will pat money for!

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yes! And the negative cables comes out of the spare tire well....I’m still trying to figure that out. It might have been the easiest place to access the frame to ground it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    enloe, loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.
  13. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

enloe and loudbang like this.
  14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

It was brought to my attention that this month represents the 20th anniversary of having just come home from a year long stay in Okinawa compliments of the USN/USMC an I had just bought my 1st corvette! A very red O.T. 60’s 427 car. It was missing the BBC but had a L88 hood, Richmond 5spd, slottes, fender flares and Hooker Side pipes! I had wanted a 61/62 but couldn’t afford one so I settled. Lol. The car was a mechanical disaster but in my foolishness I made the trip from LA to Camp Pendleton averaging well over a 100mph many times! I guess I just had to wait 20 yrs!

61Cruiser, enloe, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You have a great find there, and in my eyes the '61-'62 Vette is the more desirable as it was my first ('62 FI) Hot Rod so to speak. Here's pic's of a '59 in limbo that I know about but can't pull the trigger on it as it is not a '61-'62. I guess it could be a stepping stone! In the near future I will be trying to sell/trade my Avatar Willy's for a Black on Black '62....................
    I am going to edit this post by saying yes a '62 is my favorite BUT a '57 would be awful nice also!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    catdad49, alfin32, enloe and 5 others like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

It looks like my tim covers are gone but I was wondering what the two holes were for?. I did a lot of shop vacuuming in there! Looks like mice had been living in there! Yuck!

catdad49, enloe and loudbang like this.
  17. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

As stated in my post they are there to give access to the the rear most body mount bolt if one ever needs to lift the body. In Chevrolet's case to mount the body.

18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that is SO cool! those old fuelie engines had a sound all their own. ya know, back in the '70s, you could go to a dealer and buy any part you wanted for that setup. all you needed was part numbers!

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This is the way it was in the yearly '70s, the black hard top didn't match as I had just bought it for $250 from Lincoln Auto wrecking on old hy. 99 in Seattle. After the cross ram I traded a set of slicks for a complete and running '62 FI unit, had about $75 into the FI.
    There's a customers Black '61 in the shop now that I don't talk about as it's been restomoded, if it were mine it would already be big blocked out with a straight axle!

Attached Files:

21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That 59 is too nice to be sitting like that.

enloe, loudbang, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Those pic's were taken a few years back, it has since been hidden away under cover out of sight! If I was younger I would give it some thought but @ 72 I have to concentrated on reliving my youth with a '62!

enloe and 31hotrodguy like this.
  23. 392

Sweet.

24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Brigrat,
    Your corvette pics were too cool to not share on the corvette hotrod thread. I did a little bit of editing too.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG

Just to make the “other guys” jealous.
    std bore dated long block .

26. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

FWIW a long block has heads. The May 15/61 block with orange or red paint appears to be a short block.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Since you mentioned it. When the previous owner bought the car in the mid 80’s his wife (also a good friend) worked for an Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer in the San Fernando Valley. He had her go to the parts department and order everything that GM still had in stock for the corvette. Loading some of this stuff made me nervous!

Here is a few items IMG_2388.JPG IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2394.JPG IMG_2393.JPG

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

29. bchctybob

bchctybob

Whoa, my jaw hit the floor on the first page of this thread and I'm just now trying to speak. Cool car, great story and now a stash of NOS Corvette parts!! Congratulations isn't a strong enough word. I'm a huge '61-'62 Vette fan as well, just something special about the combination of Stingray style rear end with sporty early front end. I think seeing Mazmanian's Corvette at Lions and the Winternationals when I was a kid did it to me.

30. Sometimes the 80’s NOS stuff as bad as reproduction.