Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Four Months of 2020 to go***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2020.

1. farmer boy

farmer boy

Respect

2. Thats about it, much simpler to go with injection.
    IMG_0501.JPG

3. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am getting a bunch done though

Old Dawg likes this.
  4. poshdbs

poshdbs

I recognise that. J.

5. I thought you might.

How is it going? When will it run?

6. poshdbs

poshdbs

I don't know..... everything is so slow at the moment.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

8. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dan,
    Thanks for sharing !
    I had neglected to follow this of late and found this to be GOOD read. I didn't think that this would progress to this stage for some time, given that I followed Terry’s journey for many years. He is a talented DETERMINED ‘ young’ man, indeed. Great to see that his dream is happening !!
    Dan I suppose you will now be switching from aluminum (pipe dream..ha) to (for real...) modern cast iron ?
    Life has some real (sick) ironies,at times. Here I waited for 5 years for alum that never happened...kinda like what you are doing now. Then I stumbled into a NOS D !
    Now Terry charges back onto the scene with real Macoy 5x5 cast iron ! Life is cruel, but good sometimes. Now to get my order in to Terry.
    Bonneville here I come...whoohoo !

9. Pulled the Diamond B and along with the dead rod, most of the white metal was starting to break up. Now found a crack around a follower boss in the engine I was going to replace it with, (ran for a couple of years without knowing the crack was there!) I've been watching developments on the Burtz engine with interest. IMG_1025.jpg

winduptoy likes this.
  10. brjnelson

brjnelson

Dustyp489 likes this.
  11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I will hedge my bets and stand in both lines. I could use a couple of the cast iron blocks, but I really want an aluminum one too.

winduptoy likes this.
  12. I have no dog in this fight, only placing bets on the outer ring...........
    I like what I see, the progress has been very well documented.
    Not too sure how it will hold up at high revs but should make one hell of a touring motor.

What will be interesting is how the sanctioning bodies for organized racing adopt it or make classification for it.
    IMHO, the tooling used for the iron block will not produce an aluminum block of equal strength and that will limit availability due to cost of tooling and market.

John

winduptoy likes this.
  13. The RPM Nationals were held last Saturday at the Santa Margarita Ranch! My old buddy, Max McLain came back to the shop with a broken crank! Sounds like it was at the flange ("I'm Shocked!"). I wasn't there, but the boys said the driver at the time, Phil Farber, was closing fast on "Red Bluff" Phil Rodrigo's in his very, very fast '32 Roadster with one of Dan Price's Crossflow heads on a B block! Seth Hammond in a HAL engine T-Track Roadster was "Top Eliminator"!
    max(3).jpeg max(4).jpeg max(4)a.jpeg

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I agree, but I don't think Mr Burtz is planning on an aluminum block.

It concerned me that The Burtz project is only running 5-10 psi oil pressure.

15. I think Donovan had the right idea, just couldn't get the sanctioning bodies to adopt it.
    The oil pressure issue was a plug missing from the oil galley. I have comment, but not appropriate in a public forum.
    What I do find amazing, they are not running a filter on the oil and the fact that they don't trust the dimensions/tolerances enough and actually show using plastigage to verify clearance.

John

Old Dawg likes this.
  16. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Dan,
    That’s (oil pressure) what caught my attn also.
    They were using a stock pump, then altered stock pump. That equipment (stock) is about what # the original ford A registered. And, if anything was not plugged properly...well !
    Using a alloy high pressure pump would surely change that situation...but leaks worse if not plugged ?
    Burtz used a modern cast iron that (Engine) should last forever, if properly maintained.
    As far as alum blk, the Donovan was made from a special alum alloy to his specs... same used in V8s that ruled racing on drag strips. Tooling:
    A ‘part’ of why I never got my partially finished blk.... that and ‘flaws’ and bla bla.
    I made the Bonneville remark , ‘tongue in cheek’ , having been told that that (being permitted).... would never happen.

Ironic I say, given that Donovan was an avid A/B fan and old time Bonneville racer ! In fact, thats how the D was made exceptionally well, as He (like us) Knew all the A/B flaws and spent his time $ and resources correcting these, creating his masterpiece.
    Cant wait to get one of Burtz cast iron creations !

Old Dawg and Chopp'd49 like this.
  17. Jiminy

Jiminy

18. interested in selling the mag?

19. pumpman

pumpman

Sorry, I have not given up yet. We’ll see where all this goes.

Retson the Racer likes this.