Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Aftermarket Model A Frame value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Local guy is selling a Chassis Engineering model a frame with 4" kickup in the rear. He's had it for awhile, never been under a car. Did Chassis Engineering ever make a frame and if so, is it any good? I can't find much info other than they are no more and bought out by Heidt's? The frame looks very similar to the Brookeville in how they re-shaped the back.

It isn't very traditional so I'd probably change a bit up. Boxed, 4" drop axle, hairpins, 4 link, ford 9", setup for a sbc, disc front, drum rear, plumbed brakes, vega steering, on off topic steelie rollers. All of it looks to be catalog parts. What do you think it's worth?

2. Likely cost 5,000 if its a roller when new.Offer 3,000.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Not great pics, going to take a look later this week. Guy is asking 4500. No motor, trans or zoomies. That's ok.

I have 2 model a frames that are rough and twisted as well as the front half of a 31 roadster body. Thinking this may get me closer to driving if it's worth it. Thanks for your input

Attached Files:

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a good deal to me,, jump you ahead on your project, and doesn't appear too
    'Street Roddy'

6. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

That's what I was thinking. Maybe switch out the drop axle for a drilled henry steel one, take a leaf or two out and eventually chrome or paint black some of the parts that are silver powder coated. Thanks

7. Chassis Engineering always offered top quality parts, I have used a lot of their products over the years.

If you can get it for less than 4500 it's not a bad deal, offer him 3,500 and if you have to split the difference. HRP

5window, alanp561, papajohn and 2 others like this.
  8. BTW, is the front axle powder coated or chrome? HRP

9. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Not sure - seller said all parts are powder coated silver or black. The front axle does look more shiny but could just be the pictures.

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If it is a chassis engineering chassis then it should have a forged chassis engineering axle, no need to change that. Looks like a well built chassis to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Is there a way to properly identify the axle as a chassis engineering forged piece?

12. Yes sir, If it is a Chassis Engineering axle it will be a forged piece, they are made like Henry's. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  13. It will not be perfectly smooth and it will be heavy. HRP

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

My boss has a similar repro A chassis under his car made by some hot rod shop from Ontario. Worked out well.

15. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Dont know about your abilities , but that is a very good start to your project. as HRP says , offer up the 35 and go from there.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  16. lake_harley

lake_harley

Nice looking chassis and I'd agree with the others on trying to get it for 3500 to 4000. After all, it's not brand new any more. Also, it appears the rearend just has mock-up struts as it sits in place of the eventual coilovers. Will the coilovers be included?

Perhaps it's just camera angle, but the U-joint angle at the rearend yoke and the angle at the transmission don't seem to compliment one another. Perhaps it will change a bit when the suspension is loaded, but it appears to me the front of the pinion slopes up toward the front a lot more than the slope of the transmission. Maybe just camera angle though and easy enough to adjust properly if you need to.

Lynn

alanp561 likes this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hard to tell but isn't that a "Super Bell" logo on the axle?

Blues4U likes this.
  18. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I don't know how much time you dedicate to your project a week but that chassis would cut a year or more off my build time. How much is your time worth?

Just Gary likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is my Chassis Engineering axle, no logo on either side.
    20181124_125328.jpg

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  20. Some had CE in the middle. (I would turn it around) They are as good a axle as you'll get, plenty of people wish they were still available.

21. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Searching around I just found a pic of one with a CE in the middle, good to know. Going to take a look on Sunday so I'll keep you all informed.

I know enough to be dangerous but will be learning a lot. I just finished a 5 year restoration on an off topic car (73 challenger) that I sold. Patch panels, body work, paint, big block swap, suspension upgrades, interior, etc. Basically took the whole car apart, rebuilt or modified everything. The car fell into my lap and I saw an opportunity to learn while making money off it so I took a stab at it. Learned a lot. Been in love with a 31 A roadster for as long as I can remember so that time is now. A few months ago I found a 30/31 roadster cowl, doors, frame, front suspension for cheap near by and scooped that up. I have a title for it as well. May sell off those parts to fund a full roadster body so I can get into something more complete to start.

woodsnwater and harpo1313 like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks more like what you you would call "captain's Bars"

From the looks of it the actual parts list involved there runs well over 5K in todays $$
    A real similar looking chassis fresh from RJ's runs right at 7K on Ebay

Anywhere between 3500 and 4500 should be a pretty decent deal.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That's a 2" kickup in the rear, not a 4"...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. ......C E.:)

Hotrodmyk and scrap metal 48 like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Looks like a 4 bar on the front...should be able to change to hairpins by only using the bottom 2 mounting holes.

26. Sounds simple, but it doesn't really work. Bottom mounts are too low. Unless you make weird shape pins, in which case, why bother, use the 4 bar... it works well in any case.

27. A Boner

A Boner

Depends on the specific set up, just converted a modified A to hairpins. All 4 bars work fantastic...too bad they usually don’t look fantastic, especially w/o fenders.

Blues4U and scrap metal 48 like this.
  28. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

You figured out how to get a title for it in your state?

chopped and tubman like this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I agree, that's only 2" Z, not 4". I like that K-member, that adds some nice stiffening. Looks like anti-sway bar on front end.

flatford8 and X38 like this.
  30. SR100

SR100

If it really is a CE chassis, it should have a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. Be sure you get it, it'll make registering the car easier.

tubman likes this.