Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31oval, Sep 26, 2020.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I disagree with this. Usually I don't respond but I actually applaud him for ignoring it because he asked for advice about wheels and most posters got distracted by the numbers 327 and then gave an opinion that had nothing to do with what he asked.

Let's not assume he has no common sense. If the brakes suck after he swaps in the drivetrain of his choice, it's a simple upgrade.

2. 31oval

31oval

The only Question I asked was about upgrading the wheels.What advise am I ignoring? I appreciate all the advise that these guys are giving me so chill out.

3. The early 30s cars regardless of the make are rolling art. A nice unmolested car is nice to see and drive. Either way you go you can't loose. Have fun with it.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

In answer to your question, I don't believe the wire wheels are going to take much hot rodding. I also believe the wire wheels need to have tubes in them, the wheels are pretty narrow, and bigger tires are probably not available. Gene

5. Nice.

You don't like the wire wheels?

What might you put on it?

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Good luck, make it yours. Nice lines on those cars

-Brent- likes this.
  7. 31oval

31oval

I am thinking of some old school American Torque Thrusts or plain steelies with moon caps.

-Brent- likes this.
  8. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 spokes don't look all that good on these 30s cars in my opinion. Can't go wrong with smoothies or moon caps.

This car looks like a nice survivor. I know you didn't ask for opinions on the engine, but if you think you might want to go the V8 route, consider a Plymouth poly. Otherwise a later flathead 6 or even a sixties 225 slant six would be cool...

I am a pretty young dude and I have seen Chevy engines stuffed where they don't belong all my life. I find them a little boring. I know why dudes use them and respect it but with 30s cars, especially anything that isn't a Ford, you aren't going to get away without at least some custom fabrication.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The Edgy stuff looks & is great but last time I checked they had ran out and were going to have to recast more of everything. Likely will have to get some orders as casting a bunch is very expensive for a small company. Look here to view all their stuff - MOPAR MONTANA EDGY Plymouth Flathead engine parts Another source for the old flathead engines including the 218 & 230 Mopar's is Jack Clifford' Performance Products inc. - Headers Intakes Cams For Inline Six Cylinder Engines, Inl That is Clifford stuff shown in my avitar photo here on my 236 Chevy 6. Then for stock items for your car look here - https://www.kanter.com
    Start a build thread & keep us updated with what you are updating.
    The old Dodge & Plymouth engines had the 23" long head while Desoto & Chrysler engines had a 25" head.
    Good luck & keep us updated, Jimmie

chryslerfan55 and j hansen like this.
  10. hkestes

hkestes

Langdon's Stove Bolts is a good source for flathead Mopar "speed" parts as well.

11. vintage power wagon in iowa has a huge selection of parts for early mopar 6s.

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

31oval, nice car and it sounds like you got a great plan. There's nothing wrong with a 327 and a 4 gear.

As far as wheels, I would guess you need to upgrade the rear end if you’re running the SBC. I would figure that out first. So you buy wheels with the right bolt circle for the upgraded rear end.

For the guys freaking out about the brakes. How many of us are running 40 Ford drums? They can't be worlds ahead of the 31 Plymouth brakes. Again, like Brent said, once he has more power he can upgrade later if he wants.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    weldtoride, chryslerfan55 and -Brent- like this.
  13. poorolpapa

poorolpapa

Not so fast! No disrespect intended but Plymouth did'nt get a six until 33-34 so if its stock its a flat 4. Now THAT would be interesting!

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since you're planning to upgrade the engine, then that likely means upgrading transmission, rearend, brakes, brake master, and anything that can be affected by the engine change. So a new rear axle chosen to fit your car will determine rear bolt pattern, and your wheel choice to fit that. Then the brake upgrade in the front axle should match the new rear axle's bolt pattern. So once that's figured out you can begin to look at wheel options.
    A "simple" engine swap isn't just that simple on these older 30's cars. But I think it's a great idea, as most hotrodders should also. And your choice of engines doesn't matter on a 30's car either. It's pretty traditional to drop in a V8 that's from another make or brand.

15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Thats an amazing car.Interesting how much nicer the plymouth and chrysler models were compared to dodge.I wouldnt change much on that car just upgrade the brakes and swap a six with a newer transmission.I have alot modified on my 28 db but still run a hopped up banger.Ford in a dodge friend calls it Henrys revenge. 28.jpg

16. Olmoparnut

Olmoparnut
    from Indiana

I stumbled across your post from almost a year ago. Just wondering what you ever did about a possible engine swap?

Outback likes this.
  17. Pa609

Pa609

Interesting? Why can't guys just leave an Ol'Beauty as it is ? I have a very original 1933 Plymouth that I recently located; absolutely NO RUST--(EXCEPT THE MUFFLER); this coupe is a sweet machine and am thinking of selling with hopes that the buyer would consider minor alterations. But, buyers do what they will----so its their car and my money. Nice 31 coupe 3loval>....

18. 31oval

31oval

A little update.New shoes. DSCN2576.JPG
    DSCN2573.JPG

19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Looks good! Need any mopar hubcaps thatll fit those wheels? Beautiful and unique car! Save everything you take off, playimg with a sweet original car is fine, if its all reversible, even better! Especially with cars that there will never be aftermarket parts for! I have a 33 dodge thats a crispy critter ive had to search high and low for parts for.

20. dwollam

dwollam

Now that I like! New shoes look good.

Dave

oliver westlund likes this.
  21. 31oval

31oval

Anyone got any tips on removing the rear hubs on a 31 ?

22. Budget36

Budget36

I’m guessing the tapered axles are your issue? I have a 3 jaw puller, lines up with 3 of the 5 studs, snug the nuts down to hold it, tension on the puller and smack with a sledgehammer, if it doesn’t pop loose, tighten and repeat.

23. now that's a nice lookin coupe, what did you update the engine. trans, and rear, and front brakes to?
    if that thing was lowered about 2-3 inches it'd be perfect!

24. 31oval

31oval

This is the first update.Its all I have time for at the moment.More this winter.It will be a fifties style update.No modern stuff.

weldtoride, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  25. 31oval

31oval

Anyone know if there was a one piece rear bumper offered on these 31s?

26. 31oval

31oval

Thanks,My 80 year old neighbor who has run a mechanic shop all his life had just the tool.Thank God for these "old guys"

27. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Your car had a rear spare, you will need to find one from a car that had side mounts.
    I saw a 30 Plymouth that had a Toy--- 4 with a 4 speed (he keeps the hood down)

28. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

29. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Sharp Coupe. Wish my Model A had the round back window. Hope you enjoy for many years to come.

30. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That car is looking awesome.
    I have to be honest, I'm a tightwad ... or simply do not have spare money to throw away.
    The rear end in that car, you will want a hub puller ... here is a $50 one one ebay .... when I bought mine the cheapest one was $80 .... This $50 one may break.

Once you get the drums off .... whats your plans? There may be one vendor that sells 10" mopar drums for the 40-50's cars .... dunno if they would fit your 31. They sell for $400 each. brake shoes you can find, There are 2 or 3 vendors, they are not cheap. Or get yours re-lined .... Hydraulics are cheap & available. You will have a small fortune just rebuilding the brakes. Still a 80 year old rear end.

Many would just swap in a Ford explorer 8.8 or a jeep cherokee $150 rear end from a wrecking yard with many gear ratio choices. They are the correct width & have the dodge 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.
    Is the 31 really 5 on 5.5"?

What will you do when it is time to replace the front brakes? Same parts availability issues.
    Is where a disk brake swap makes sense. They will have the same bolt pattern 5 on 4.5"

I admit I still have stock brakes on my 49. They were new drums/shoes when it was parked 20 years ago. I will run them out.

[​IMG]