Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Third generation hotrodder gets his first project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 21, 2020.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

7146D2F7-5785-40EB-BD87-41CCB7F04828.jpeg I need Brooks to join the hamb, he sent me a picture of the stock outside mirror he found in the trunk while cleaning . He was really jazzed that he had found it.

2. 6inarow

6inarow

Well we need to get Dad edjumicated up real good first. V-8? Its just a fad It will never catch on. Give hm my contact info - I will hook him up with an inline that works. If I cant There are a couple of genuises in the area that know everything. Just sayin

Greenblade, winduptoy and 6-bangertim like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ahhhh no six in row for this project!!

4. Greenblade

Greenblade

Can't wait to get this running and driving! It'll be a long and fun journey. Kind of a shame that winter is just right around the corner, won't be able to work on much except the 327, which I'm excited to learn how to build! Always ready to learn.

chiro, Texas57, Elcohaulic and 8 others like this.
  5. Greenblade and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. You'll get there. Only one lesson from me. Never give up! You will get there eventually.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940, Greenblade and brEad like this.
  7. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I'd look around for a 258 six to warm up, might help keep his insurance rates down, and a six draws far more attention at shows than a bellybutton SBC...

winduptoy likes this.
  8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Good start,enjoy the journey together.

Greenblade and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Love those year Ramblers. I think most old Ramblers looked a little odd, but that year was a really good looking car. This will be a great Dad/Son project. Keep us posted!!

Greenblade likes this.
  10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ahh you six banger guys. No six for this project, this is a low buck project and we have a sbc sitting in the corner that will not cost him anything. He does have to buy accessories for it though but that nothing when the motor is free.

11. @Greenblade Welcome aboard. You have some great material to build a nice street car. Have fun building!

Greenblade likes this.
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a fortunate young man in my mind.
    My dads idea of father son bonding was to gift me a K&E slide rule and get me a membership in the Prime Numbers club. Needless to say, he is a good guy but not a motorhead....enjoy the journey you have a really good start

hotrodjack33 and Greenblade like this.
  13. @Greenblade & @rusty rocket,

You looking for original seats (bench?) for the car or going to find something else from a different car to make work?

Greenblade likes this.
  14. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

A comment on the snow tires. Back in late 50's when I was drag racing I ran the Firestone mud & snow tires o the rear and they worked great. They had about the same rubber compound as drag slicks and gripped awesome. The grip a lot more than slip. Jimmie

Greenblade likes this.
  15. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Nice project, I like the "sleeper route" direction of this build!

Greenblade likes this.
  16. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

“The car looked like shit and he always ran big ugly snow tires on the back. Fun times!”

Reading the sentence above brought a big grin to my face. Growing up in Wisconsin I recall the annual fall tradition of putting “Big Ugly Snow Tires” on my car to get ready to combat the inevitable, snow and ice. I am sitting on my patio in Florida, 80 degrees. It brought back some great memories and visuals in my mind of years past.
    Thanks for providing me with a big grin to start the day.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Greenblade likes this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Actually it looks like it had buckets(2 tracks on both side of the tunnel) we will be on the look out for something.

Greenblade and gotta56forme like this.
  18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice start, good luck !

lothiandon1940 and Greenblade like this.
  19. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thanks! That's one of the first things I was told before I started this project. Never give up and have LOTS of patience. I'll have to work on the patience part though

20. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thank you! I definitely got lucky by getting such a good starter car. I'll certainly have fun learning how it goes together.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thank you! I'm glad my Dad is here to help me or I'd have been lost from the start

22. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thank you!

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the HAMB Brooks and congrats on getting a really GREAT car to start with... not just my opinion...the whole world thought so !!! MTY.jpg

Greenblade and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Greenblade

Greenblade

Thank you! It really is a wonderful car, shame that you don't really see them that often but maybe that's another reason why they're so cool. I really like that motor trend pic you posted, its cool to see I have a car of the year. Thank you again, the amount of positive feedback I've gotten has been more than I would have ever imagined.

25. A boy needs his dad. Praying for the mend.

Greenblade likes this.
  26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great start Dad & Son ! Here is a little motivation for ya ! Modified grill, Lakers and fat tires in back to tame that 327 , it’s a real sleeper ! I will post it in the 91F916FF-FE18-4633-AB89-10B97D267CCF.jpeg Friday art show tomorrow good luck.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well now I gotta tell you about my friend Rudy. He was an early stereo, hifi,tape recorder nut. He also liked Drag Racing and owned a 62 Rambler Classic, brown 4 door base model. It didn't have a radio till he put one in it. On Sundays Rudy could be found at the local drag strips with a pit pass and a semi portable tape recorder. He would tape the cars as the did their staging and starts. Them with his notes he would edit the tapes so he had stock engines, modifieds and gassers by class and manufacturer.

I was going by his house one Friday night and the Rambler was up on jack stands with the front wheels off. So I stopped to see what was up. Rudy said I'm putting headers on it. Well it was a six and he was under the wrong side. I looked under and instead of tubing and collectors, I saw out door PA speakers and wires. Inside mounted to the trans tunnel was a tape player and amplifier. Yep Rudy was setting up the Rambler to be a Sonic sleeper for the downtown street racing nights. Nothing like sitting with three guys at a light when a Corvette pulls up next to you and blips the throttle a couple times. In response Rudy would flip a switch to uncork the Rambler's headers...... Wubwubwub, rrrrumpaaa, rrrrummpa, wubwubwub. Our job as passengers was to rock the car in synch with the sbc, hemi, 413 or blower olds etc. playing out the speakers!! l The looks we got were halarious. Got a lot of hot cars to shut down and slink away. Fun stuff from 1967.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    chiro, Budget36, Texas57 and 5 others like this.
  28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

So you need some accessories for the small block?
    I have a harmonic balancer, crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator brackets, and some other goodies. I will donate them to this project if you need. Let me know what you're looking for.

chiro, Texas57, brEad and 2 others like this.
  29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That’s really kool of you to reach out like that. I told Brooks that you had offered some part and he needed to get ahold of you. We will be running a short water pump, will your parts work with that setup?

Greenblade likes this.
  30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I will check that out when I get home and send pictures

Greenblade likes this.