Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Pontiac Catalina Stick Car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31hotrodguy, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

The 87 200R4 is the best out of all of them. Built for more HP.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. Duck's Goat

Duck's Goat

Those billet blocks are to allow the later bellhousings to use the early car clutch linkage, it does not mean the later bellhousing will fit the early blocks. Basically you can use these to install a '65 engine and bellhousing into a '61 car and use the '61 clutch linkage or whatever depending on the adapter block you use.

egads, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. I suppose you could possibly use a 63 block and a 65 bell with a starter adapter? I would just go ahead and find a 65 or newer engine. Of course I already have some later engines.

4. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

The 64 blocks were used with both block & bellhousing mounted starters. A bodies were block mounted and B bodies were bellhousing mounted. Essentially all 64 blocks are drilled and tapped for the block mounted starter regardless of whether used on
    the A or B body cars. Turbo 400 can bolt up to a 64 block wo any special parts.

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Hey Old Wolf, yes that is what I’m planning. But yes, eventually I’d like to get a later 400 block and build my dream engine. But for now I’m going to make the 63 389 work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I got my Melling SPC-7 “068” cam and lifters today from Butler Performance. Let the fun begin!!

loudbang, Elcohaulic and scotty t like this.
  7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I believe this is a 69 and later timing cover which was on the 63 389? Since it died and needs to be replaced I’m looking at my options. Adjustments.JPG

Is there any reason why I couldn’t run the 59 reverse flow set up that came with the Catalina? It actually sounds like a good idea.[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Later Steel flywheel blasted and ready to be machined!
    [​IMG]

Haven’t decided on a pressure plate and disc yet. I’d like to stick with an eleven inch 3 finger but they are getting hard to find new. I might have the original 59 pressure plate rebuild down in the San Fernando Valley (can’t remember the name at the moment.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Sadly I spent most of the day changing the starter on my wife’s OT 60’s Mopar an again I didn’t get as much done on the Pontiac.

I did however; get the rusty sending unit out of the 62 4bl intake I plan to use for the time being. It took a lot of soaking in penetrating oil, a little heat an a big ass pipe wrench but it came out! It’s the little things that despite slowing me down gives me that sense of accomplishment....especially when I can do it without braking something! Lol[​IMG][​IMG]

j-jock, scotty t, egads and 1 other person like this.
  11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG
    Picked up a timing cover for a pretty good price. It is going to need some work but I’ve done some welding on one of these before.

loudbang likes this.
  12. iF YOU USE THE
    If you use the 59 heads the reverse flow will work. You possibly can remove the core plugs from later heads and make it work.

13. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Sorry if I missed it: GM called the 3-speed Ford transmission a “Dearborn” trans.

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  14. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I believe Rocky uses later heads on his early engine with the reverse flow. I like the idea of the reverse flow but my car is a year to late for it.

loudbang likes this.
  15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Not a whole lot in the way of progress but a little bump for encouragement.

I have the steel flywheel getting surfaced and balanced along with the McLeod pressure plate at Reynolds machine here in Bakersfield.

I got a little bead blasting done this morning before the temperature hits 108!
    Before:[​IMG]
    After[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some things were definitely better in the old days but the tools available to home owners and hobbyist and home bead blast cabinets are not one of them!

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So can somebody familiar with Pontiac tell me what this is and why it was in my engine compartment full of oil? Lol Adjustments.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

18. BJR

BJR

That is a block heater, used in the colder climates to heat the water in the block so the car will start in sub zero temps.

SS327, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That’s correct , it’s a circulating water heater for cold weather startups . I think what you determined was oil, was old coolant of some kind . I don’t think your goin to be needing that in the climate where you live . Keep up the positive work pace , it al looks great , be safe .

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The car supposedly came out of South Dakota so that would definitely make sense. Yeah, we don’t see a lot of those around here. Lol thanks again.
    Scott

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Thats the early PVC valve called a road tube.. Thats where the little puff of smoke comes from under the front of old cars.. I would use the new PVC valve system. You might have to change the valley cover..

I would keep everything stock and use the 068 cam.. That Pontiac drivetrain was one of the best and it will put you in your seat.. I always preferred the closed chamber motor over the open chamber.. Give it a good tune up..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Elcohaulic, I believe you are talking about the road draft tube right? IMG_2482.JPG

Or were you responding to an earlier post?

After doing a ton of reading the 068 cam seemed to be the best choice for a stock engine/heavy car for the price! You are not the first Pontiac person to recommend it!

24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

We’ve been pretty distracted here with “corvette fever” but the boys and I actually had some time to work on the Catalina so in went the 068 cam! IMG_2976.JPG

95ft pounds of torque can be a good work out for teenage boys! IMG_2985.JPG

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_3085.JPG
    Picked up edlebrock P22 dual quad from a fellow hamber.
    The goal is a “super dutyish” looking engine compartment. [​IMG]
    Yes I am aware the few 60 factory SD cars had tri power and no I’m not trying to make it numbers correct....I’d go broke trying.

Elcohaulic, treb11, scotty t and 7 others like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

[​IMG]
    Taking the backing plates off. Hoping to get the engine compartment painted this week while the weather is good. This is definitely not a nut and bolt restoration. This is the boys car so the idea is to get it driving and then hopefully run it at Famoso.

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

These guys did a great job cleaning, sanding and masking the engine compartment! IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3165.JPG

Sadly the 1960 Pontiac paint I ordered online is not quite the right shade of mahogany. Lol IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3172.JPG

29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Going to run to the parts store and look for metallic root beer brown touch up paint!

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

While the paint is drying could you send them my way? Do they work cheap?!