Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What about a tractor generator? I need to go talk to my local electrical guy....

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I totally forgot about the tractor generators/ alternators. @dumprat @Six Ball Let me know what you find

3. "drdave divot"...that's funny!!! LOL. I'd second Tman's comment that maybe redo the top section of that tube once you settle the alternator and what not to come straight out and then curve back to connect behind the alternator. That would help your bolt problem as well.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m going to ding the primary in question to clear the stud and then fit the collector and then decide what I want to do from there.

visually I don’t really mind it once it’s on the car but if it’s going to be as big of fight to get a nut/wrench on it as I think, I do have some bends I can splice together and move it around.

all part of the game.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@drdave I called it the Dr Dave divot because you kept talking about dinging the centers which I didn’t do, so when I saw this I was like fuck it we’ll put it where everyone will see it and I’ll call it the dr Dave divot lol

drdave, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wheel 1 into the acid 738733A3-4079-41E1-90D1-B7BF8DB448CE.jpeg

drdave, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So... leaks a fair amount but not enough to abandon the soak. D5D90EBB-EE8E-4B3D-9602-6342E991E0A5.jpeg surprisingly the wheel I thought would be mostly black paint is blue and red! C3335D31-8C67-4355-9FCC-DD3BC9BFAB32.jpeg

I didn’t touch it but a lot of it is submerged so I’m thinking a lot will sluff off. I’ll wipe it down tomorrow and see what we get.

drdave, justabeater37, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Almost got the clearance I need. Got it to bolt upwith out the intake, there’s just a teeny bit keeping a nut from slipping over the end.

I think if I had gotten the pipe hotter the first go around I’d be done by now but I got it pretty damn hot lol 44503E1D-A471-4416-BB0B-88CA1CC4A533.jpeg It’s just really a head scratcher trying to figure out how to hit it in the way you want to from the angles you have available and with in clamped your something so it doesn’t just move.

Getting closer though.

It’s a rainy day. Close enough and took a nap

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well after 2 days the side that actually soaked is nice black and blue paint with little bare metal.

the side that got about 12 hours and then was just shielded in the bag is cleaner than it was but lots of rust and some red paint.

the inside of the width is split about just past even so I guess I know where the “water line” was.
    5D2BFD02-F70D-40A4-953A-842B8195C4A8.jpeg B125DE49-AE58-42C3-9AFC-8B819B08CEB7.jpeg 98EF24F9-44C2-483C-8349-C7969BE965A5.jpeg
    I’m going to find a rubber tub for the next try. For now I rinsed them with some soapy water, towel dried and sat in the sun

Bandit Billy, patmanta, brEad and 4 others like this.
  10. rjgideon

rjgideon

I had a leaky "vessel" for citric acid dipping that sat for 2 days and it etched a nice rectangle in the floor of my garage plus I have nice rust stains down my driveway to the street. Having something 100% leak proof is a good thing. My trough was some 12" steel studs welded together into a rectangle with a couple of tarps and plastic drop cloth for holding the water, but I got some leaks in the process somewhere. A plastic tote or kids wading pool would have been better in hindsight.

loudbang, Tim, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I eye’d some tarps and figured they’d leak. I’m going to grab some sort of plastic tote and give this one another bath and dip the other as well.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  12. I use a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel. The steel barrel top finally rotted away. It's great for de-rusting wheels. You can stack 4 of them in there.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Rocky good idea! How’s that quick change coming along?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. It's in! Gotta finish hooking everything up tomorrow.

lothiandon1940, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic! @Rocky just in time for it to start cooling off hopefully. Fall is by far the best hot rod weather

lothiandon1940, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Tired of catching my self on the running board/ fender because the board had the forward lip/ flange twisted out I hammered it back down this morning.

still miles of alignment to go but for not at least I’m not hitting it every time I walk past it. F44A1DBB-3758-49F3-A756-FD6484EB7C1F.jpeg AC708371-0105-4698-A3F0-712616ADA824.jpeg 9A96389D-5853-45C2-B3B6-E98F64CAF0A7.jpeg

Stogy, patmanta, brEad and 3 others like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Last photo made me curious 3A613BB9-5048-4CE7-89E6-FBEF3B897D94.jpeg

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a Rubbermaid stock tank for my molasses bath for the smaller stuff, and I had a plastic 55 gallon drum for citric acid in the shop. I used custom forms with visqueen or a Rubbermaid stock tank for the stuff I did in oxalic acid.

Stogy, Thor1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I’ve got a variety of tubs and buckets that typically work great. Was hoping I’d get lucky with this big stuff that didn’t want to fit.

Thankfully tubs are cheap

Thor1, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was considering one of those 4' x 4' x 12" Intex tube frame kiddie pools for a citric dip. I figured as long as I protected it from any sharp edges or points and kept the level low, it should do the job on bigger pieces without making too much of a mess. The main reason I liked the idea was that I could dip a cowl in it and get the whole thing in 2 passes (in theory). They are supposed to take 9" of water.

[​IMG]

loudbang, Thor1, OFT and 3 others like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a good idea. A piece of old carpet could help protect it.

loudbang, Thor1, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I bet that works great. I like the soak compared to like painting it on and wrapping it with cling wrap because I can use the same tub full of soapy water to kill it all off in the books and crannies if need be.

been messing with house projects so nothing to exciting happening but I think before work tomorrow I’ll mess with the header some more. Trying to get that buttoned up before moving on.

Think we’ll maybe do some small patch jobs. Fixing up the running boards, the head light buckets. Maybe make a license plate bracket and some of that kind of stuff

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Stogy, patmanta, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  23. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a box 4'x8'x3' with 2x4s and plywood, lined it with a pond liner from Menards and could do a model A body with exception of the roof in my molasses tank.

drdave, Stogy, patmanta and 5 others like this.
  24. Yep, done it...with molasses. Doors, hood(in pieces), window garnish, all flat stuff, mostly Model A.
    Just set a couple of sheets of plywood over it.

patmanta, Thor1, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

After dinging it to get a nut on I made a little more room for a wrench.

everything I had wasn’t going to fit with out some grinding so I opted to head down to my favorite junk/ antique shop and grab a old wrench from the dollar table and make it work.

on my way threw I found a bundle of old ford wrenches that seemed like they’d probably work well as is. That and I’m a sucker for a weird wrench 17438EBE-12A2-4393-847E-EB8AFB11BF4B.jpeg stuck the sacrificial wrench on to see if it fit and sure enough works perfect as it is :)

onto the next step

kidcampbell71, drdave, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was thinking you could use studs with nuts where you have room and Allen head bolts where it's tight.

Thor1, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was talking to @porknbeaner about that idea last week.

by the time I’d have room for an Allen wrench to fit or a bolt to slip in it was more room than I’d need to get the nut on .

worked out either way :)

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I figured you had already though of it. Sometimes I get so centered on something I don't see options. :)

loudbang, Thor1 and Tim like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Constantly lol

the other day I spent an hour trying to make a header collector idea work even though it clearly didn’t want to. Sat it all down and cut half way to work when it hit me like a ton of bricks. A better solution with a fraction of the work involved

Stogy, loudbang, Six Ball and 2 others like this.
  30. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just don't be a dummy like me and mess up your header because you were using a mock up block without all of the accessories... I guess it will be one of the things I get to work on first in the new shop.

Stogy, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.