Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 plymouth rear axle - update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1offkustomz, Sep 28, 2020.

1. 1offkustomz

1offkustomz

i have a 52 plymouth, zz3 crate engine,4 speed with stock rear. i need to make it more drivable since stock rear gears are 4 11. its 53 1/2 in wide d to d and 42 in center to center for the pearch pin. springs are 1 3/4 in wide. what rear fits the easiest and what to do for rear shocks ? any help will help an old guy help. thanks

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

if the 53-1/2" d to d is outside of drum, then S10 2-wheel drive might be your best & easiest bet.

3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I install a Ford rear end from a V-8 Maverick in a 53 Chrysler. Fit good and I could install wide tires.

4. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I installed an 8" from a Falcon in my 49 Dodge and it was about 1" narrower than stock. Have 15x8 inch wheels and 235/60 tires with good clearance. I did have to cut and weld new spring pads on, got mine at a trailer supply store for the narrow springs. They work well for the tapered housing 8". See profile picture.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The OP’s reference to ‘D to D’ is inboard side of the drum, aka”backing plate tp backing plate”. I am familiar with that era Plymouth and measured at the WMS (wheel mounting surface) it is about 60”.

Ray

6. Backing plate to backing plate is kind of useless. You need wheel mounting surface. This is because different axle offsets and brake widths.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

lemondana likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I used a 9" rear end from a '61 Merc in my '47 Plymouth. The spring perch location is dead on but for a 2 1/2" wide spring so I transferred the ones from the original rear end.