Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vertex Magneto

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bonehead II, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hey all...I have a wore out vertex magneto that I am wanting to run it as just a points distributor, that way I can use the MSD boxes that I have. How do I get the guts out of the main body, I can't see how it comes apart. Thanks Mike

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Why not use it like original Magneto? 100% better spark and trusty.

427 sleeper and LAROKE like this.
  3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carefully! After removing the cap, points plate, and the advance plate (if any), you should see the two long screws that run down through the bottom.

4. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Jim I can't get the points plate off....&$^#

5. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

believe the "points plate" is part of the main casting-why are you ruining a $250[minimum core price] mag to build a $50 distributor? Most vertex dealer ads will show a take-a-part diagram

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

two nuts by the base that come up from the bottom hold the mag together-they require a special screwdriver[or make one]to remove-be aware the breaker cam is attached to the magnet shaft on a taper with no keyway-takes another special tool to align that-you remove the magnet,you no longer have a shaft coming up to mount the points cam,rotor etc.when you take the base off you will see if the mag has advance weights or is "locked out"Please save all the parts for someone that does mag repair