Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31oval, Sep 26, 2020.

1. 31oval

31oval

Hey guys.I have a 31 Plymouth Coupe that is 100% stock and I would like to put a 327 in it and update the wheels keeping the original drum set up..That being said is there a later steel wheel that I can just bolt on that would allow me to put more rubber under it ? 108604926_285817382726498_9121618861936060210_n.jpg 109724195_579119436101410_4933677193662477957_n.jpg

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Welcome here. That is a nice looking Plymouth. Since I know nothing about the wheel bolt pattern, I suggest you purchase one of these things. Most mopars I know have a 4 1/2" bolt circle that is used on Mopar, Ford, AMC, Studebaker, and IHC. Scan-200927-0001.jpg

RustyDogg and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I've '31 or '32 Plymouth frontend and rear under my '32 Dodge PU, and it's 5 x 5.5

Atwater Mike, Outback and 31oval like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

O.K. Look for Ford pickup wheels or 1948 and older Ford car. And since I am procrastinating going out to the garage, here is a 50 year old Rod & Custom cover car. Scan-200927-0002.jpg

5. Putting in a 327 will make that car waaaaay too fast for the stock brakes. It will get someone killed. When all those old cars had the same junk brakes they all took the same distance to stop. With today's cars with anti lock brakes they stop on a dime. It's a good way to rear end some one. Not to mention how much faster the car could go only compounds the problem.
    Why not keep your Plymouth all mopar. 318s and 340s are plentiful?

6. 31oval

31oval

Thanks a bunch for the info.The hunt is on.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  7. trey32

trey32

So are you saying a 318 or a 340 won't be near as dangerous/unsafe as a 327 chevy????

8. Since you don't see too many Mopar's especially in that condition,please consider Mopar power.You can update the brakes to be safe.Good looking coupe.

9. That car is cool just as it is. Do you know if that's the original paint? I'd leave it mostly stock or hop up what it's got and just drive it locally. As someone's signature line said: What's the hurry? Walmart is open 24 hours.

Man, look at how tall the tail light stands are.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  10. My buddy, Sonny's 32 plymouth coupe with some 32 ford front sheetmetal. sonnys32plymouth.jpg

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That car's really special. I would enjoy as is.
    Sell it. It may take a while but it will sell. Then you can use the money to buy some old Ford junk and build a proper hot rod. You are going to have to get that junk anyway to make this into a hot rod. You might as well leave it be and build up a car out of parts.

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

disc brake conversion , later rear , updated master cylinder....etc..etc...can of worms...one thing leads to another...

13. Tre 32 I should have been more clear. Putting in a 340 mopar will make the situation I described even worse. It's harder to stop a fast mopar.
    F-1 I would you like to run my 31 mopar that's apparently not a proper hot rod? 20191006_173327.jpg

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

F-One, these cars are absolutely fair game, especially this one. It's not all that hard to find some really neat examples of hot rod Plymouths.

And 31Oval, if you want to drop a 327 in it... go right ahead! A traditionally dressed early SBC is a great looking engine and there's a ton of fun to be had for the price. It looks like a really solid car, I dig it.

Those cars already had hydraulic brakes so it's not as much of a concern as a Ford of the year. Still, I'd put them on the upgrade list that's going to be made once it gets hot-rodded.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  15. 73RR

73RR

...as choptop40 says, that is a big-ol-can of worms.
    I really hope that your budget is as big as the can.
    Considering that everything that is needed to build an A is in one or two catalogues you'll be time and money ahead to start from scratch... but I already own this one.....and everything will need touching.
    Kinda like turning a go-cart into a F1 car.

Oh, what the hell, put that shiverlay in there. You won't be driving it cause everything designed for 60hp will be breaking.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Guys, that car is miles ahead of most projects. It's a complete car!

A drivetrain swap, brakes and wheels are no big deal.

Really? That's what would have some of you moving on from this car?

17. dwollam

dwollam

A later flathead 6 Mopar is basically a bolt in. 1958-9 230 Dodge 6 is 135 horses stock and about double that of the original engine. Hop up parts are available with minor looking. I'd hate to see the car destroyed.

Dave

18. I'd like to hear what 31oval's plans are beyond what's been said, and if it's running/driving.

19. hkestes

hkestes

I 100% agree on this. I built a 59 230 for my old 48 Plymouth and with the R10 overdrive it would cruise at 75 all day long. Not only that but you were not going to see 20 or 30 more engines just like it at any gatherings like you will with a small block Chevy. That car looks to be in great shape and updating to a later model flathead would mean that you or a next owner could easily put it back to stock with very little effort if so desired. Anyway if you are dead set on the V8 swap please keep it all Mopar.

Here is the 230 I built for my 48. I think this would look killer in your coupe and be very period correct.

[​IMG]

weldtoride, RustyDogg, okndnx and 8 others like this.
  20. i had a 218 in my 40 dodge pick up. great engine. could be a good swap. the 230 is a little longer than a 218 if room is a issue. i had a eddge head and edmonds intake on it. the exhaust was split. there are some speed parts available for it. a s-10 five speed will fit. use the cable driven speedo trans. this also allows the use of a slip yoke getting rid of the ball and trunion joint. the adaptor kit and split manifolds are available through stove bolt in michigan. a 8 3/4 will most likely bolt right in with a spring pad change. this would give you the bigger brakes a very little cost. i used one from my kids 69 super bee. worked great. on my 31 i used a front brake kit that used volarie parts from ply-do.

21. v8flat44

v8flat44

Later Mopar flat 6, or a 273 Comando, but please, NOT A Chevy. That car needs to keep it personality.
    Just say'n...... Dare to be different !

22. Yes dare yo be different. Anyone with a cell phone and credit card can build a proper hot rod with a few catalogs in hand. It's like buying Tupperware. The containers are all the same you just pick a different color lid.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have never understood the need to swap in the same make engine. Are you going to offend Walter P. Chrysler? Putting in a later flathead six, now that I understand.

1971BB427 and -Brent- like this.
  24. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Cheby engines are just so boring! Run a vintage Hemi in it. of course the Hemi would heavier but not boring. It just seems everyone wants to put a cheby in them cause they are so much cheaper. (and yeah I spelt it like that on purpose)

25. yes walter p would be offended. actually very offended. walter p and the dodges both felt the ford stuff was cheap junk. ford wouldnt listen to them that the quality could be greatly improved with a few of their ideas. thats why and for other reasons to they dumped ford starting their own companies eventually merging after the dodge brothers died. lets not forget if it was not for the financial assistance of the dodge brothers that most experts agree ford would have never survived. this turn of event eventually led to proper hot rods being hemi powered. the rest is history. thud. the sound of the mic dropping to the floor.

26. looks like the piece of sheet metal that covers the gas tank is missing. start looking now as its not easy to find.

oliver westlund likes this.
  27. hkestes

hkestes

The 230 is the same length as the 218 at 23 inches. It is only longer if it is a Canadian built car at 25 inches.

weldtoride, chryslerfan55 and mctim64 like this.
  28. 31oval

31oval

Well guys it is like this.I am the third owner of the car.Second owner bought it from the estate of the original owner.The second owner changed out the brake hoses - master cyl and put new tires on it.The original owner had it repainted in 52 all black.It was originally a dark blue body and black fenders.Everything works on the car and it has never been hit or been apart and there is absolutely ZERO rust on this car as the original owner never drove it in the winter and was always stored inside.This is why I do not want to start chopping it up.I have been thinking hard about putting a 327 and a Muncie 4 speed in it but I may just update the wheels and drive it AS IS.

29. trollst

trollst

Good to see, you ask the question, then ignore the advice. Typical.
    All I have to say is this, if you upgrade the power, you have to upgrade the brakes, period, they go hand in hand, no point in smashing up a beautiful old car like that cause you want to cheap out.

30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You can get around 130 to 150 flywheel horsepower out of a later Dodge or Plymouth 230 and it's a bolt in. These wake up considerably with more compression and free flowing exhaust. There are period correct dual intakes available either vintage or new offenhauser. These are torque motors an as a long stroke design the don't like a lot of rpms. Factory peak was pulled at 3600. Rpms past that just make expensive noises. Do a dry wet compression test and do a vacuum gauge session. This will give you a good idea of engine condition. Make it safe and enjoy driving it while you find and build a 230. Lots of folks say to put a 251 or 265 Chrysler or DeSoto engine in, but the 230 made more HP than the larger motors.

Finding a car in that good of shape is a rare thing these days.