Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. No sir. I'd guess 325ish horsepower. Stock bore 1969 300hp 350. Original 041 heads shaved .020. Comp hi energy cam. Just a good radiator. Designed for the 6 cylinder support. Never been over 190 degrees. Weird huh? Hell even my brakes work perfect! Guess I'm the exception to the rule around here. My shit all works. ;) oh and the car pulls hard with the 4:10 gears.

2. primed34

primed34

You going to Bowling Green for the nostalgia drags Oct. 17?

loudbang likes this.
  3. I wish! I haven't got time to change my mind right now.

61Cruiser and loudbang like this.
  4. @primed34 called it. Moving your radiator behind the support could happen with these plates.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also a hood baffle to direct air through the radiator instead of over it.

tb33anda3rd, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Speaking of being busy, i forgot to look into shipping that steering box

loudbang likes this.
  6. I pulled the baffle out, it's laying in my scrap pile. And the radiator is fine, no cooling issues at all.

loudbang likes this.
  7. No hurry my friend. Car is parked back under the trees again lol. No plans to go anywhere else this fine year ;)

Stogy, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  8. Wassup my peoples! I've looked all through this thread looking for a picture somebody sent me of a red 57 wagon that was a drag car. I believe it had chrome reverse wheels. It was sitting next to another tri five. If anybody remembers that car, send me that picture again please!

9. Thanks for sharing. :)

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mark locked my problem thread so I'll post this here, one problem down! One of my customers brought this to me a few minutes ago :D 20201223_145115.jpg

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:

So Lloyd is that a packed in grease NOS steering box?

Merry Po Po...:confused:...I mean Ho Ho...:D

12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Hey Lloyd, been seeing your posts and likes. Welcome for sure. Love your project. I saw that you were looking
    for a single carb tunnel ram...unfortunately I recently just sold one, an old Offy 360 degree. Had it on my shelf
    for 15yrs. Wished it could have gone to you. Bob

13. I wish! But I'm freaking tickled lol. I just painted a hood for his 55 and he just finished doing a power steering box on his. I asked about the old box and he brought it to me. That'll make things much better for me :D

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Oh now why ya gotta tell me stuff like that! Lmao! Buddy I've been a day late or a dollar short my whole life! Just part of this game i reckon ;) I'm in no hurry, that intake will be for my gasser project, and if it comes down to it I'll run a dual setup, they're everywhere around here. :rolleyes:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. So let's just say that i leave the 4:10 gears in place. Is there an affordable way to go posi without welding the spider gears? Like the mini spool that's available for the Salisbury style 10 bolt?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ In a 17 spline. Probably not?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  17. I've been scouring the internet but haven't seen anything, so i figured I'd ask.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Try locking spider gears? rather than mini spool.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here's what they look like.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  20. Who carries them Johnnie?

loudbang likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Good luck finding a pair of the spider gear blocks; I think they were only made for the 57-64 Olds/Pont and the 55-64 Chevrolet rear ends, in the late 60's/early 70's. As far as "making" a Positraction, I know of no way to do that. The factory 4.11:1 55-64 Chevrolet ring gears are very narrow, and easily deflect under clutch dumps with decent tires. Better to go with 3.55, 3.70, or 4.56 factory gears, or aftermarket ones. There are some spider gear shaft "blocks" that have springs in them as a poor-mans Posi, but I don't know if they are made for the 55-64 Chevrolet rear ends; they're all over e-bay (I think they're just a gimmick however, and priced from $30 to $350). You really don't want anything that locks up your rear end (don't go there jokester!), unless you don't mind squealing tires, decreased tire mileage, poor handling in the rain/ice, etc, etc, etc. A non Posi third member case can be converted to use a Positraction carrier by grinding two support ribs down for clearance. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's something that isn't made these day's anymore due to market swing of what's popular. Ansen made them in the past and I have a set in a 59 3rd member with 4:56's and another loose set for 57-64 Olds Pontiac. Your just going to have to surf the classifieds on the net.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Every kid needs it's day at the stove in order to learn. Beside's, being young is great.

upload_2020-12-24_10-17-37.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  24. Remember me? Guess who finally got some time back in the shop. Always impressed with how good my old car starts right up and functions like it should. Got the steering box about ready to drop out. Didn't get any pictures, but i will tmrw. Gonna do my best to get the steering box changed, rear gear changed, and painted before the middle of June. Mrs. Stone says she'll have my seats and door panels done by then also.

25. Glad to hear you got some time to mess with it Lloyd!

26. I swear i heard the car let out a sigh of relief when i got out after pulling in the shop :D I've gotta C-10 ready to spray but im gonna give mine a few hours tmrw. It deserves it ;)

27. Yea, understood. :D I woke up my 56 the other day after thinking I was about to burn it to the ground with some electrical issue back in January. Seems it was happy to get a little attention and even quit smoking out of the dash after I realized there were no burnt wires and someone apparently turned the radio on...the apparent source of the smoke... It was happy to go for a ride down the road after that. :cool:

28. catdad49

catdad49

Lloyd, Mike's Wagon looks Great![​IMG]