Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Well, after 25 years of ownership, I sold my avatar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Wasn't sure I really wanted to get rid of it, but I lost interest in it. So after 25 years I sold my 56 Chevy, the one I had when I joined the HAMB and used as my HAMB namesake. I kinda feel like one of my kids is moving out and living elsewhere.
    I hope I don't regret it like I have with some other cars. I regretted selling my 32 coupe and managed to track it down in HRP's garage. Lucky for me, he was willing to let it go back to me. I tried to find my very first car again too but I had no paperwork so that was a dead end. But I am an old fart now and need to get rid of stuff I no longer use or need.
    So now I have room in my garage.. I wonder if I will use the space to rebuild my 32 or am I still so badly diseased with oldcaritis that I buy another one.....I hope not..
    Changed to wire wheels.JPG
    Good bye ole girl, I loved you once....

2. That's how you stay young! Fresh projects. You don't own your stuff, your stuff owns you...now you can give the 32 your full attention, it'll get done faster and turn out better...looking forward to the updates

Just Gary and 56don like this.
  3. Been there. Selling my roadster of 32 years is/was hard to get over.

j3harleys, Just Gary and 56don like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

gotta do what ya gotta do

56don likes this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Dang it! I was waiting on my rich uncle to get out of the poor house so I could buy it!

Glad you sold it Don, I really did want it, but knew there was no way for me to swing it. Hope to see it here in Bama somewhere next year.

56don likes this.
  6. belair

belair

You can't own em all, you can't keep em all. But I know how you feel.

56don likes this.
  7. I was similar couple years ago sold my 38 Chevy, my HAMB namesake. I built the entire car, owned it about 18 years. Felt kind of sad selling it, but also felt good knowing that the new owner would have fun and enjoy his time with it.
    Even more like a kid moving out of the house was selling my 49 Ford COE. That COE was what numerous people knew me by. It was almost famous with pictures all over the web. But again, I had mentally prepared for it to move on to a new owner.
    I think we all get around to becoming bored of our cars and change helps spark that desire for the new project or completed vehicle and having fun doing car stuff again.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

56don likes this.
  8. So now your no56Don! I'm betting that 32don is already taken ;):D

blowby, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  9. Sold it locally so it may show up from time to time.

10. Don, that was one nice '56 Chevy but you still have the '32 Coupe that is where it belongs , the 34 pickup. the 48 coupe and the '65 Vette.

Do you really need another car, no but when did that stop any of us for adding more to the inventory, especially when you have a little cash in your pocket. :D HRP

GordonC likes this.
  11. I can't remember the number of times I said "This is my last build". The 56 was supposed to be the last at one time but I have had a dozen since then.
    Well, the 32 won't see another owner until I am dead. The others might change hands or acquire a garage mate in the future..;)

j3harleys and GordonC like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, do what I do; I sell a 56 Chevrolet, only to buy another one. I'm on my TENTH 56 Chevrolet now! Why keep buying the "same" car over and over? Who knows, but this one is the last one. I have thought about selling it, but I also promised it to my Nephew. My Daughter wants it, but she does't take care of anything, so tbhat's not going to happen. Of all the 56 Chevrolet's I've had, I have never had a Bel Air; I like them Plain Jane. I really like the 150 Models, and I've always wanted a Handyman Wagon in Model 150 trim. My current 56 is a Sedan Delivery, and that's pretty close to a Model 150 Handyman Wagon. Who knows, maybe you'll buy it back also
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chevy57dude and 6-bangertim like this.
  13. Cool...good luck with your 32......

14. Oh lord that would drive me crazy seeing my car lol. I sold a 40 Buick a few years ago, it went a few hours away from here, so i thought I'd never have to look at it. Next thing you know one of my buddies sent me a picture of it and said "guess what my brother in law just bought!" Luckily he didn't keep it long, it was like seeing your ex wife all the time lol :rolleyes:

15. Yeah, I kind of hope I don't see it because you know someone is going to change something and I will think "Man I worked on that for years to get it like that and he just changes it". But if you buy a car, its yours to change or wreck or whatever.

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hope you knew it was going to a good home. Nothing worse than watching one of your cars getting beat to death by some cluck ....

56don and Unique Rustorations like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Quick ...... change your avatar so you won't be pining for another 56 every time you go on the HAMB :rolleyes:

56don and Nostrebor like this.
  18. clem

clem

.........maybe posting pictures of the ‘32 will help us all get over the loss of the ‘56...............:D

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  19. It sounds as if you’ve had a bunch of cars, you can’t keep ‘em all. A couple years ago i sold my beloved OT 69 camaro RS SS to a buddy who lives about 4 hours away. He refined it further, added a 4spd AND i still get to ride around in it once a year.

20. I think we all have regrets when it comes to selling on the cars that have been a part of us.
    When I look back at the vehicles I have let go I very often think I wish I still had that. But as the guys have said we move on.
    Ive had the Centre Door now since 1978 and I have always said when the time comes to part with the Centre Door, I would really want it to go to Europe or back to the USA as I wouldn't want to see what happens to it after.

Come on Don, lets see the 32 Coupe :D

21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If its no longer giving you that buzz, get rid of it and let someone else enjoy it, while you enjoy its replacement..

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

I recently sold my 39 Dodge pickup. The guy that bough it drives it a lot, including driving it to where he works. When he drives it to work, he goes right past my house. I see the truck a lot!
    I got what I wanted out of it, and its good to see the guy enjoying the truck.

Over the years, I've sold several cars that got wrecked by the new owners, that was hard to see. I guess the fact that I sold them the car gave them the right to prove there low performance driving abilities in a high performance car. Gene

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-9-30_15-50-58.png
    Hello,

I can see why you question having sold that cool looking 56 Chevy sedan. It has all of the right looks for a mild hot rod custom. But, for a person that has a ton of projects/upgrades left, it was time to clean house now, when you can. We know how hard it is to sell a cool hot rod as we had to hold back some emotion when a young couple drove away in our 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Their offer was one we just could not pass up as we needed something else for our growing family.

We did not have the luxury of having another hot rod project sitting in the yard or garage. As much as we wanted to keep the sedan delivery, it was just not going to work for transporting a newborn. As we all know, everything has to be right for the new additions to the family. So, despite what I tried to do to accommodate someone in the back chamber of the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, it had to go and a small station wagon took its place.

Jnaki

For someone that grew up with a ton of 54-58 Chevy sedans while in high school, those were cars that will give a lasting memory for us. If it is not written down, those memories will be gone in an instant. Photos help, but we did not have the luxury of 35mm cameras or for that matter, even Brownie Cameras. The friend that had a 2 door post 56 Chevy sedan was going to paint it yellow, but opted for silver with white tuck and roll upholstery and chrome rims.

As others have said, you have new/old projects to ponder, if it is still in the forefront. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy it, you did a great job on that yellow 56 Chevy and enjoyed the many miles of cool cruising around.

56don likes this.
  24. toml24

toml24

I gave away all my child "toy" cars many decades ago: 1960s Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Eldon slot cars, green tanks and green army men, and much more. Mom took the whole load to her church. I don't regret the decision. I could not validate holding on to any of it. Now, many decades later, I fancy the idea of having a 6-foot glass display case and having most of the toy cars repurchased and on display. Some day in my Man Cave living room I'll have it. Maybe.

25. ...sold my 37 Chev coupe after owning it for over 33 years, don't really miss it, still have too many old cars to take care of;...if I ever miss my coupe, I just jump in another old car and go for a drive and all's ok.

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Wow, so that makes two guys, (olscrounger) on the Hamb that sold long term cars. I've done it with a '55 sedan I owned over twenty-five years. I had a long list of cars I wanted to experience and the 55 had to go to do that. Didn't seem that hard to do as I went on a buy/sell spree for about five years and scratched that itch.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

selling cars is a weird thing for us guys. even regular cars. I just replaced my 200,000 mile S-10 with a 70,000 mile Blazer. now I look at my S-10 and feel sad I'm going to sell it. if not for the extra insurance I'd probably just keep it.

kinda like selling your dog.

56don, bchctybob and BigDogSS like this.
  28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I wish I could keep them all, new or old. But I don't have any indoor garage space left and I hate see them deteriorate......

bchctybob likes this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

I feel your pain, especially having owned and pampered it for so long. Like someone else said, when it hits you just jump in one of the other cars and go for a ride or put in an hour or two making progress on the ‘32.
    I find myself in the position of having one more car than my shop can accommodate so I’ve been trying to decide which one should go. Trouble is, I like em all! I’m trying to decide between selling my ‘56 210 or my Austin gasser. My wife even gave me permission to sell her Corvair if she can have my ‘33 pickup (gee hon, I don’t know). It ain’t easy parting with these things that we have our blood, sweat, and tears in.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I did it with this old girl.. I did cry when I watched her go down the road. The guy who bought her had that gleam in his eye when he was looking at it,I knew she was going to a good home... She had a 462 with a turbo 400 and a 2:56 posi.. That big boat could crank up to 150 -160.. Thats what this WRX owner told me I was doing when he was trying to stay side by side with me on the highway...

Interior shifter.jpg 64 bonneville 8 lugs.jpg

64 bonneville 8 lugs.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.