Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Cramer, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

The journey begins with this 31 chevy coupe. Any suggestions on front end ideas..brakes, axles, light and shock mounts would be helpful. Message_1601160313301.jpg

nunattax likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

probably depends what you want to build. If you're aiming for a traditional hot rod that might have been built in the 50s see if you can find some 1940s/50s chevy trucks to donate parts. The 51-59 truck brakes work well up front, the rear end from a 55-59 truck might work as well, and you can also use a 41-46 truck front and rear axles, with the later brakes and some other parts. The 1950s-early 60s 235 and 261 Chevy sixes are a good starting point, as well as the same era GMC 270 and 302.

But you could also do a lot of other things with it, like putting in a V8 from a 50s-early 60s GM car, such as a Cad, Olds, Buick, Pontiac, or even Chevy.

Kind of depends what you want, and you didn't offer any clues about that. Nor, where you're located.

3. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a '31 Chevy coupe and my plan is run a '53 Chevy truck front axle. Bolts right on and best of all
    I've already got it so it's free!

4. upspirate

upspirate

Didn't say if fenders or fenderless either

5. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Thanks for the replies.
    Not really sure which way to go. I have a 55 chevy 5 window that is close to being done. I know I want to put juice brakes on it for sure get rid of the mechanicals. Looking for master cylinder kits any suggestions. I know I want to do a mono chock front end probably with disc brakes and 15 inch wheels. Ill probably build the six cylinder. Is there any automatic transmissions that will bolt up to that 6 cylinder. Will a s-10 rear work? I heard they bolt right in also. Thanks.

6. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Oh Im located in Daytona Beach FL. not sure why it didn't post my local.

7. mlagusis

mlagusis

Nice looking car from what we can see. Post some more pictures! Get the Rodder's Journal Issue #65. There are two nice 31 Chevy's and you can see the recipe for those builds in detail.

I have a 31 Sedan I am currently building. I am using a late 40's early 50's truck 1/2 ton front axle, brakes and springs. I am sending the axle to Sid's for a 3" drop. I am using a mid 60's 12 bolt truck rear end to keep the 6 lug bolt pattern as I am using stock Chevy 16" steel wheels with center caps. I modified the frame a bit to use later springs and spring shackles for both the front and rear. I like the shackles in the newer springs versus the older stock 31 type. In the rear, I brought the springs inward and up higher into the frame to lower the rear 4" without using blocks.

For brake pedals, master cylinder and clutch set up, I picked up a 1962 Chevy truck brake and clutch pedals. I will use the stock brake/clutch master cylinder (side by side). I will use a stock 1962 Chevy hydraulic clutch set up as well. My goal is to use off the shelf Chevy parts to keep it simple and reliable. I am trying to stay away from engineering parts for this build. The front and rear brakes will be non power drum brakes. I had a 62 Chevy truck that was stock and it stopped just fine so I imagine my sedan will as well.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

The 31s in that Rodders Journal were built by a friend, I got to hang around while he was working on them...gave me a lot of good ideas.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. mlagusis

mlagusis

That's cool Squirrel. Anything you can think of to share, please do! I really like those cars and found it refreshing to see the use of Chevy parts instead of old Ford front suspension.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

nice Sheetmetal... I have a cheap '30 frame you could cut it to make a body dolly...

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd be tempted to put a Ford style front axle with buggy spring up front. That's just what looks "right" for an early 30's hot rod, especially a fenderless rod, just a much cleaner look. JMO

12. squirrel

squirrel

they sure look out of place on a Chevy, though. Gotta show that you have something special.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Is it a 3 window or a 5 ?

14. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Its a 6 inch drop front axel that I bought years ago from Butches Rod Shop. Not sure if you can still get them, it was ordered 2 inches narrower than stock. Works, handles and turns good and will fit under the stock fenders. DSC01079.JPG

15. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Thank you but I think I'm going with the mono spring.

16. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Thanks I ordered it today.

17. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Its a 5 window

18. A pair of mono leaf springs or a single transverse spring? I am confused about your answer to Chuck Craig (he was talking about an axle in any case.)

19. Mark Cramer

Mark Cramer

Transverse spring. My apologies about my ignorance of the proper naming of the parts.

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

keep it stock,its beautiful no ford parts chevy motor

grumpy65 likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

If you don’t have the springs yet, look into the poise slider spring

22. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Buggy spring? I understand they look more hot roddy, and ok it's your car, sorry but to my mind you lost the chance to build summat different, an easily built all Chevy rod.

grumpy65, RMR&C and nunattax like this.