Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What front end for 53 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dixie Rambler, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Hi guys,

I just put a Ford 9inchbrear end in my 53 Chrysler and want to upgrade my front suspension. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can replace my stock with?
    Any info is totally appreciated.

Rickybop likes this.
  2. New bushes and joints + shocks.

Packrat, Rickybop, jimmy six and 8 others like this.
  3. I owned a 53 Chrysler for about 4 years online 6 and fluid drive.
    Put some new tires on cragar true spokes and drove that thing across hells half acre without a care in the world after rebuilding the brakes and front end.

good brakes and good front end pretty “ modern “ set up for the time.

in all honesty made my 50 Chevy feel like complete and utter crap compared. Also a bunch of 70’s hi-po crap didn’t handle as well as that Chrysler.

and if you want to bag it the shocks are already mounted to the outside of the a arms. So it’s an easy modification.

Rickybop and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  4. BDUB77

BDUB77

New Aerostar springs make a huge difference. You can relocate the shock mounts and add a Cherokee sway bar if you want to get fancy. I just changed the springs with one coil cut and it made a huge difference on my 50.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This. ^^^^^^ @X38 has it right. The Mopar front suspension is one of, if not THE best, independent designs from the late ‘40’s thru ‘56. They drive very well, especially if the upper shock mount is relocated from the upper A arm to the frame rail.

The only thing that makes them susceptible to being dismissed as ‘old fashioned‘ is the use of pins and bushings as opposed to ball joints. That is an unfortunate perception as there are many ball joint designs that don’t have the geometry right in spite of their ‘modern’ image.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Torchie, harpo1313, Rickybop and 5 others like this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

Did a 55 New Yorker and drove the h out of it. Just rebuild what you have

Rickybop likes this.
  7. raff23089

raff23089

I have a 50 Plymouth. I relocated the front shocks, added disc brakes, cut one coil off the springs and added a Jeep Cherokee sway bar. I’ve been driving it like that for years and I think that’s all that’s needed. I’m not completely happy with the cut coils and have been thinking of trying the Aerostar coils. I’m currently planning a v8 swap this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rickybop likes this.
  8. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Thanks guys lot of great ideas to think about. The motor only has 78,000 original miles. I know it’s a lot for this old car but I have the motor running really strong and I’d like to get it to a point where I could trust on a 300 mile round trip...another reason I’m taking a serious look at my suspension.

9. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

10. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Sounds like you have had a good run with your car. Which V8 are you planning on putting in?

11. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

My brother has a 51 Shoe box with air Reid’s suspension but has the original suspension and no power steering. . My Chrysler is a way smoother ride and I like to remind him of my killer power steering. Although I would like to get it a little lower the stock.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. raff23089

raff23089

Small block Mopar/904 trans. I like the flathead but traffic around here is regularly moving at 70+ on the highway and I’d like to be able to at least keep up with the semis.

Rickybop likes this.
  13. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Which model/series Chrysler? What engine do you have, 251 or 265?

14. raff23089

raff23089

Currently running a 218 flattie. I’ll be pulling the motor/trans brackets, linkages etc from mid 80’s Plymouth.

15. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I have a 1939 Plymouth Coupe I'm planning on putting a early 392 in and plan to use the stock front suspension only adding disc brakes. IMG_20161211_081440677.jpg

Rickybop and raff23089 like this.
  16. Im looking for valve spring retainers for my 218. If you know where I can get some let me know please

17. raff23089

raff23089

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you asked the question, @Dixie Rambler
    I own a 1953 Newport.
    Taking notes...
    Good luck with your Chrysler.

20. 73RR

73RR

You can drop the front an inch by relocating the lower spring pad from the top of the A-frame to the bottom of the A-frame. That is then a good time to install some fresh coils.
    Relocating the top shock mount should also be a 'must'.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

That’s cool. There aren’t a lot of the 53’s around. What motor are you running in yours and do you have a pic of your car?

Retterath likes this.
  22. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I’m thinking of bagging it too but can’t decide.

23. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

The only inline Flathead 6 available in any 1953 Chrysler was the 265. In 1953 the 218 was only available in Plymouths. Chrysler and DeSoto had the longer/larger engines and Dodge and Plymouth had the shorter/smaller engines.
    Do you have a 23” long block or a 25” long block?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_flathead_engine#Straight-6

If you want some Chrysler 6 inspiration look at this YouTube. This man is a friend of mine and a MOPAR flat 6 guru.

Edit: Sorry to muddy the water. I thought the original poster commented that he was currently running a 218 flattie. My comments about the Chrysler 6’s are still correct though. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.