Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Finish for Y Block Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I had my Edelbrock 573 tri power manifold powder coated with a cast aluminum looking powder.

It looks really good but doesn’t resist staining from gas leaks at all.

Because of tuning issues and other things I experienced a lot of fuel staining which leaves the yellow stains that are impossible to remove.
    I probably tried everything known to man and everything posted in different places online.
    None of it touched the stains.

So right now the manifold sits on my work bench and I’m taking it apart for re- finishing.

I’m going to weld some aluminum pieces into the exhaust crossover ports under the middle carb, previously I had them blocked off with the gasket and thin stainless steel.

After that I want to have it re done.

Here’s the question. What finish will be best to avoid future staining from possible leaks?
    Don’t forget that I’m running Strombergs :D

A different color of powder coating?
    Or maybe polishing the intake?
    Or chrome?
    Or just blast it and leave it on the work bench? :D

I love the Tri power and the Y Block looks and runs great with the Strombergs but this is frustrating.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Edy dual quad is just raw blast with fine beads and uses 1953 WCFB's. Brake clean on a rag when I see stains. Since your going to really block the xover the powder coaters near me have a non glossy coating. There is also a dull clear from Eastwood for cast iron that would look good and a clear for engines that's good for at least 300*. After its dry hard for a week or so take alittle scotchbrite pad to it to dull it to look like raw. I use phenolic spacers under each carb that may help you too.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Anyone else have any ideas?

loudbang likes this.
  4. swifty

swifty

On my tri-power I had it Jet-Hot coated with their hi-lustre chrome finish. My center carb leaks all the time and I just wipe up the puddles. There is some light staining but not real bad and if I gave it a light polish it would look better but I don't spend a lot of time cleaning the car. I've got a carb kit and I really should fit it instead of just wiping up the fuel LOL
    On his blown flathead my son used a local guy who does a water bead blast with detergent/chemical in the water. The oil and fuel don't soak into the alloy and can be washed off with detergent and water. He reckons it's great as you get the sandcast look without the stains.

loudbang likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any pictures?

6. swifty

swifty

Sorry @Blue One I can't post pics but I would recommend Jet-Hot or HPC for your manifold as I've found it fine over 8 years and 33k miles.

7. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

on a couple of my motors i have the intakes creamic coated looks just like chrome/polished and is very tough and easy to clean...just a wipe over....i also have a tri carb manifold i am preparing to get ceramic coated for my 56 vicky.....the trick is sand to a fine finish then get coated...the finer the better then it will looks pretty much like chrome

8. egads

egads

Check out Cerakote.

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm with Jimmy Six on this. Brake clean always worked for me.

10. ahshoe

ahshoe

My whole Y block motor, but the tripower intake is ceramic coated white.The original 2v intake was also ceramic coated but I removed that for the tripower.It cleans up so easy.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  11. I own a powder coat shop, applying an Acrylic clear or a Urethane clear over the base coat would have helped with the staining from fuel. Acrylic & Urethanes are more chemical resistant than straight Polyurethanes. Most all "Silver" & "Chrome" powders require clear top coats. I have clear powdered over just sandblasted aluminum intake manifolds with great success. No reports of yellowing or staining. I have done several manifolds for friends of mine and no bad reports yet!

Mr Last Minute and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good epoxy urethane paint?

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is the clear you’re talking about done as a powder coating?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that’s great for fuel resistance, not sure about the staining from the yellow fuel dye.

once that stuff dries on a hot manifold it’s there for good.

15. Yes, clear powder coat finish

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Talked to the owner at the powder coating shop that does my work and he recommends ceramic coating for my manifold.

So today I made some aluminum block off plates and welded them in to the Exhaust crossover on my manifold.

I also made a template of the holes so restoring the manifold in the future would just be a matter of drilling a hole and opening up the crossover with a die grinder.

So off to the shop tomorrow.

6EFB4793-AF1B-455E-AED6-C078538BE3CD.jpeg A0B22787-EB26-4249-BA5C-CF53AA327E3A.jpeg D57BC82D-C3DF-4360-BCE3-63BD6B139DA7.jpeg 22E2BA04-AE8A-410D-A86F-AF10BEBC1256.jpeg 1BF541C2-368C-404B-AD32-9588A95FED3B.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  17. swifty

swifty

Wow Larry, you really do have problems with fuel stains on your manifold plus the added problem of the heat effects from the exhaust cross-over. Interesting that you've got the 573 version of the Edelbrock manifold as I've been told that is the best one to have.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, I think it’s going to be even better. I searched for the 573 for a long time while I was doing the build after researching and finding it was the best of the Y block tri power manifolds.

Once I found it I quickly sold my Offenhauser tri power manifold which was the poorest one of the bunch during testing.

It’s at the powder coating shop now along with the valley pan and a few other parts.

I’ll also be reporting some details on the carbs as things develop relating to solving the leaks as much as possible and other fuel delivery issues. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Back from the powder coating shop.

The manifold came out nice and the valley pan too.

Waiting for the rest of my stuff to get here and then I can get it all put back together.

I also had the hold downs and the bracket for my fuel log done.

While I was at it I had the headers redone which had suffered some scratches and scrapes :oops:

97B1C346-8385-4C36-8035-9C3CEE015426.jpeg A4E0D23B-6A91-4CA0-BC8B-253E8AF5CBD3.jpeg 32397CA2-A8A3-4811-9381-FAD47A12974F.jpeg 6DDFF879-5A56-4B71-85AA-10663EFB5B48.jpeg BCD23801-A877-4F5B-8800-8D2FE30112FF.jpeg 74092D43-F8AB-4D38-B45A-0B78E42DDE37.jpeg D81A7F9E-EE1D-455F-A15E-410B64E3001A.jpeg

:cool:

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looks good. I was going to suggest just having it polished for that traditional look, but then I'm sort of a glutton for punishment. I too have been wondering about intake manifold coating because I have a factory Buick cast iron 2x4 intake that I would like to make look like cast aluminum. Good info here.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  21. swifty

swifty

Looks great Larry and will be much easier to maintain. I gather that's their Hi-Lustre chrome finish same as Jet-Hot and HPC have.
    Isn't it a bit soon to be doing a re-build on your RPU-LOL

loudbang likes this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes it is.
    Thanks, there’s a reason for the redo, this just happened to be a convenient time.

I think it’s going to look a lot better.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

Thanks for tips and pics. I’ve got a Weiand tri power for my y block, want to keep it in a raw look but might polish it up. Got a while to go yet!

Blue One likes this.