Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical it ain't heavy...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gdrummer, Sep 26, 2020.

1. gdrummer

gdrummer

...its a 292. so i just bought a 292 for my 1951 deluxe and i brought it home and hung it on my new H.F. engine stand and i know this is gonna sound crazy but its the first engine i've brought home without a car so i don't know the answer.
    i've hung it with grade 8 bolts from the back what i guess is bell housing mounting holes. it just seems like a lot of weight to hang from just those holes. i used the two at about 1 and 11 o'clock at the top and two at the bottom, i guess about 4 and 8 o'clock.
    also, do i need a puller to remove the flywheel?
    thanks in advance for the advice!

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you should've pulled the flywheel before you bolted the bracket to the backof the block. But no, you don't need touse a puller to remove the flywheel, just remove the bolts and do a little judicious prying a bit at a time any place you can fit your prybar.

3. It will be ine. Grade 5 would work well also

Truckdoctor Andy and 48fordnut like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

I know the 235 I hung from a HF stand taxed it pretty good. I had to make an adapter for it out of some 1/2" plate if I remember right.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you got it right. Photo would help us confirm.

6. The stand itself is plenty strong.

I have gone through a few princess auto ( basically Canadian harbour freight) engine stands by being a little HAMB fisted with them and cracking the cast iron caster wheels.
    replaced the last one with better cast wheels from grainger.

I had my 261 inline hanging off a better but still generic engine stand and I wedged a 2x4 under the oil pan to give it a bit more support, not sure if it did anything, but made me feel better.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    '51 Norm, Algoma56, fauj and 2 others like this.
  7. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

While rebuilding my 272 cum 292 I always used my shop crane to share the load when I was not actually working on it, especially when it was fully dressed. Had a really queer skittish feeling till it was in the truck.

XXL__ and ClayMart like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Any inline engine i put on and engine stand, and some of the heavier V8’s, I add a support under the front of the block, pan, crankshaft....wherever is most handy. It’s not the total weight of the engine that is the issue, but the ft lbs of the engine.......the cantilevered effect of hanging it by the end.

On a Buick straight eight I have on a stand, I built an adapter to hang it from the side of the block, in principle similar to the side mount fixture that was used for Ford flatheads. Works great.

Ray

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You'd be astonished at the holding strength of those threads. I remember testing a 1/4" bolt years ago in an Instron machine and a single thread held something like 250 lbs. So the threads tearing out wouldn't be any concern to me. I have opted to put long engines on the better HF engine stands that are rated for 2000 lbs and have the long wide legs that fold. I've put my first gen Olds engines on those with good success because they're heavy and have the extended bell that puts the weight further out.

Hnstray and 48fordnut like this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As a youth, hanging around a commercial auto repair garage, I witnessed one of the techs (mechanic) put a ‘55 Chevy 265 back into the car with two 1/4” valve cover bolts (one per side)......even as a know nothing adolescent, THAT made me very nervous.....but it DID make an impression. However, I would never attempt that if there was any better alternative.

Ray

11. 6sally6

6sally6

lift plate.jpg These thangs scare-me-to-death and they just have for short bolts screwed into an ALUMINUM intake!! You got no worries.......
    6sally6

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ha! Piece of cake! Four 5/16” bolts trump two 1/4” any day! :D

Ray

13. Budget36

Budget36

I was waiting for "...not heavy, he's my brother..."

Carry on

61 Sunliner, sko_ford and guitarguy like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used one of those carb plates to pull a donor 302 with an AOD attached from a E150 van. I was nervous as hell but everyone I talked to said do it, no problem. They were right but it still made me nervous.

15. guitarguy

guitarguy

I think people get nervous on engine stands because they see the engine tilted downward.

The issue is, there is so much slop between the parts of these bolt together stands, that when the engine is hung, of course it droops. The solution, stretch the slop in the stand the other way, and weld in triangulation brackets to the bottom rail and upright.....of course your stand will not be able to be disassembled now. There is also alot of slop between the two pieces of tubing that the engine rotates on.... not much you can do there.

Haha, first thing I thought of too.

Budget36 likes this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Inline? At first I thought you were talking about a Ford V8.

Anyway if this is a inline 6 I would be more concerned with the block rather than the bolts.
    I have seen 300 sixes break at the bellhousing. The big sixes need some additional support.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. I’ve pulled small block Chevrolets with cast iron transmissions and transfer cases attached with those. It also had an aluminum intake.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. gdrummer

gdrummer

hey everyone, thanks for the info. my concern was weather the cast block would crack and break and my engine with a now cracked block would wind up on the floor or me! i was thinking i'd use a 4x4 on the front pan/pulley area so looks like although not necessary, is a good idea!

as for the flywheel, i have not removed it but was curious about how to get it off.

once again, thanks for the help.

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Way back when cheap engine stands first became available, I bought one. The rotating head where the 4 arms that mount the engine to was a casting; not a welded piece. With an engine mounted, that thing would bend. Ended up giving it away but made sure I told the New owner about this. Was it ductile cast iron or what? Sometimes I Don't trust third world metallurgy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. gdrummer

gdrummer

not sure what ductile cast is i'll look it up but this looks to be solid steel and maybe powder coated.

21. Ductile cast iron is much stronger than plain cast iron and is rich in graphite.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.