Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question: Chassis Engineering Parallel Leaf Spring Travel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32SEDAN, Sep 26, 2020.

1. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I have a Chassis Eng parallel leave spring set up with a Ford 9” in my 1939 Ford chassis. Heidts/Chassis Eng states they settle an inch over time. For those of you with a similar setup, how much vertical travel are you seeing after break in? Trying to figure out if I need some axle snubbers. Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

LOU WELLS and fiftyv8 like this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have the same set-up on my 1946 Ford Woodie and it didn't settle an inch. I also don't come close to the stock to the stock axle snubbers. It looks like you have several inches between the rear and your chassis, so if it was me I wouldn't worry about snubbers. Nice chassis work, I like the master cylinder push rod.

32SEDAN likes this.
  3. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Thanks, because I am using rear discs, there is an e-brake cable bracket about 3-1/4” from the bottom of the chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

[​IMG]

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had to use 2 inch lowering blocks on top of the CE spring setup in my 40 Std coupe to get it to sit right. Hasn't bottomed out yet.

olscrounger and 32SEDAN like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be more concerned with the proximity of that brake line to your exhaust pipe. I used CE parallel leafs, ran them inboard of the frame to make it sit lower without blocks and definitely installed bump stops. I think all cars should be built with them though.
    upload_2020-9-26_14-43-37.png

fiftyv8 and 32SEDAN like this.
  7. Dixie Rambler

Dixie Rambler

Looks good. Solid start. Adding bump stops is good advice.

32SEDAN and olscrounger like this.
  8. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Thanks - actually there is 1/4-1/2” air gap between the brake line and the wrapped exhaust. It’s a bad angle.

Also, the boiling point of brake fluid is around 450 deg. It’s less than 200 deg at the end of the pipe.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I did the same on my 37 Fordor. Initially, I used big lowering blocks, probably 2" perhaps more. One of them was the kind that allows for adjusting axle lead, like oval trackers used, so you can also easily adjust your wheel base side-to-side if it is off a little. Eventually, my springs settled so much I had to take the blocks out as the springs took on a reversed arch. Still worked. I used a snubber from a 40 Ford from the start (with the tip cut off to yield 3" static clearance to the top of the axle tube. After the axle sagged, and I took the lowering blocks out, and the clearance was back to the same 3" I started with. You may be lucky and have a spring of another mfg, and it may not sag. But lots of others have had that problem so don't be surprised if it sags after a year or so.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    32SEDAN likes this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The 1 inch drop thing is just a rule of thumb and can be influenced by many other factors including length of main leaf and so on.
    Nice looking chassis it is a credit to you.
    I am sure you will enjoy many happy miles with it.

32SEDAN likes this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I get about 5" of total travel, using the CE shock cross member in my 49 Chevy wagon. About 3" of bump and 2" of droop. The shock will limit droop.

32SEDAN likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

You can't leave a half inch air gap between brake line and exhaust. Even if the exhaust is wrapped. That's nuts!

And, if you aren't close to the snubbers, the 40's gonna look like an off roader.

I recommend using 48 Ford rear axle bumpers as they are soft, but will bolt into the original spot. And make sure everything is out of the way. Raise that exhaust, move the brake line, and anything else that might be too close for comfort.

32SEDAN and olscrounger like this.
  13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

CE leafs with one inch Blocks in my 40, if it settled an inch I didn’t notice it. Of course it has been a while. I use the absorbing snubbers that Eaton spring sells. Nice work on your chassis, exhaust is going to be loud isn’t it?

32SEDAN likes this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd be far more concerned about how fast the heat is going to deteriorate the rubber/plastic inside those braided stainless steel hoses then what it will do with the brake fluid. I like to be able to at minimum, stick my fingers between the exhaust, and anything else it comes close to it (about 3/4"). Gene

32SEDAN likes this.