Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diamond T yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by iwanaflattie, Sep 12, 2020.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

Diamond T's are the ginchiest. I had a good friend that was really into them when I was in the Antique Club of America & those trucks ruled the roost. Yeah, the Mack guys wouldn't agree with that, but you can't deny the great line of truck models they had going in the 1930's & 1940's. They were always referred to the Cadillac of trucks. The Continental motors were so basic & simple & sturdy. If you're looking to restore one, the body panels lend themselves to some real easy flat sheet metal repairs. And, the best part, you don't even have to chop them, because the factory did that for you. The stainless goodies are readily available on Ebay, so don't let rarity scare you. Although the parts have been inching up in price over the years, they are still readily available.

Here's a funny story. My aforementioned friend had a wife that liked to maintain an orderly household, so he was basically restricted to his garage, which was a pretty decent size. So, one day a truck comes up for sale in the club, but the thing is just too damn long to fit into the garage with the rest of the vehicles. So, he makes a deal with the seller, who is an absolute animal, to take about 4' out of the frame & shortened the truck so that it can fit into the garage & keep the peace. The guy does an absolute masterful job on the frame shortening. He later restored it & sold it for a huge profit & his wife was quite chagrinned.

So, does yours have a motor or trans? What are your plans for it? Being a gauge geek, is the gauge panel and/or gauges still there?

2. Hi,,thanks for all the useful info and the story..
    Mine didn't come with motor nor trans,nor frame...I want to modify it to my liking with an alternative suspension and engine

3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Not familiar with 702 model , but it is either a long or short hood. And from your pictures I can’t tell if it was a wide axel. I have a 509 which is long hood, so less motor in the cab on mine. And I have a wide axel , so there is an approx 2” strip added to the front fenders. On mine I used the stock frame, which the front crossmember is removable. Then I got a squarebody 1 ton Chevy which also has a removable front crossmember. Bolted it in, used the rear spring from the square body truck they also bolted to the diamond t frame. So my front and rear suspension is stock squarebody. BUT I don’t know if you could bolt the cab on quickly, but anything can be done with work.