Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Kansas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Mopar Moose, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Mopar Moose

Mopar Moose
    from Kansas

Hello everyone, I figured it was time to join up after cruising through this HAMB for the past year or so. Been reading a lot of post, seeing others builds and such and decided to throw my hat in. My dad finally decided to part with his 1934 Plymouth with the insight of "Time for you to have fun in it, before its too late". He hadnt done much with it in the last few years other then start it and look at it. So of course as soon as i got it back here, i decided to go through it. Finally figured out why it didnt like to turn left, as the mounting bracket for the steering box is broken. From what i have determined, it is powered by a 1958 283 bored .30 over. Engine is almost back together, few things left to do. Still need to get the steering box mount welded. Main reason i am going on is, from what i have figured out, the body was made in Canada. The odd thing is it has a large wood square in the center of the ceiling, not a rib all the way across. There are short ribs running to the metal frame around the wood block, and since i lose about 3 inches of sitting room and at 6'4 head room is nice to have. Since i am not sure if it is stock or not, i am reluctant to cut it out, and have ribs put in. Does anyone have experience seeing this? I have attached a photo were you can see the wood on the ceiling

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and walter like this.
  2. walter

walter

Welcome from Wichita!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Jokester

Jokester

Not too many members lurk on the intro forum. Try re-posting your question on the regular forums.

.bjb
    Shawnee, KS

4. MarcioD

MarcioD

Welcome to the forums! That looks a fun and challenging project.

5. Desoto Deuce

Desoto Deuce

Maybe had a canvass top on the steel roof at one time?

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. although I am not familar with that year Plymouth but that wood does not appear original.
    Also realize that when that car was built people for the most part were thinner and shorter on the average than today. Simply it was built to carry a smaller driver.
    If you current seat is that cushion on the floor and you have headroom problems you will have to make changes up top. OR if you are using the cushion because the car's seat & seat frame sit too high for you then you must modify the seat frame to get it really down on the floor.
    Looks like that plywood drops in from above and rests on a metal lip around that hole? If so it will take some effort to make a replacement to drop in to give you a few more inches of headroom without making the roof weird looking.
    A couple of reliable parts sources I used on my 1950 Plymouth Deluxe that will also have parts for your ride are -
    www.kanter.com www.robertsmotorparts.com
    Both have online stores and both have a paper catalog.
    As another responder stated post your question and that photo on the HAMB and more will see it.
    Lots of great cares in Kansas. In 2013 I pulled a trailer and bought my 46 Chevy Coupe from Quinter Ks. Was 1 1/2 days each way and a real nice road trip. Good luck and keep us posted with photo's on the new thread. Jimmie