Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

loudbang likes this.
  2. Great score! Congratulations. I can't wait to see the build thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. I had a 72, 400cc, 8 spd, and it was just potent enough to kill me. Knowing that I only had two speeds, full speed and repair, I sold it before I did get seriously injured. Beautiful machines.
    Bob

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  4. Nice car! I always wanted a Rochester F.I. setup. In 1967, I had the opportunity to buy the complete F.I. setup off a 57 Chevy, including all the testing gear including the manometer, for $200.00, and walked away because I thought it was overpriced.
    I normally have a pretty good feeling about desirable pieces, but sure missed the mark on that buy.
    At the time, I was running a 283 in my Cameo, and it would have been a great setup for the truck. Instead, in 1972, I went to a BB, and always regretted not getting the F.I.
    Hindsight is always 20/20.
    Anyway, I'll be following your build.
    Bob

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

A lot of pressure washing an a shop vac took care of the “barn find” dust. With 30 yrs of it sitting on the car I probably could have collected it and sold it to the collector car guys!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Cool thread, with BITCHIN history on the car 31hrg! I called Tom today, gave him a heads-up on the thread here!

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would trade my present girl friend for that Vette, she's in about the same condition..............

8. Great score, congratulations!!
    You are getting a good stable together.

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  9. Those interior pics remind me of my 60 vette, the interior was about the same shape. Don’t make the same mistake i did with the new dash pad, i made a bad cut and wasted about $300!

31hotrodguy, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Well you are one lucky dude. :) A bunch of happy minions to help out on a PONCHO AND a VETTE. :rolleyes:

11. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

That is an awesome car! Good luck on the build. It should provide great memories for you and your kids for years to come!

12. Dennis D

Dennis D

My best friend (RIP) had a 70 400 8 sp. Damn few could ride those bikes to full potential. I damn sure wasn't one of them. D

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

almost as cool as 2nd generation Corvette:)
    Just kidding very cool car. It is going to be awesome

14. You lucky dog :) ENJOY !

15. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yeah, I’m going to leave that up to an upholstery dude. Lol

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Oh wow! Lol

loudbang, enloe and Moriarity like this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you! Me thinks someone needs to post some recent pics of their avatar car on the corvette hotrod thread!

loudbang and enloe like this.
  18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_2408.JPG

Looking pretty good underneath. One of my last purchases had frame rot, not cool!

catdad49, TFoch, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  19. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

I posted it once before and started a thread in hopes of finding some history
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/anyone-know-of-this-corvette-gasser.1161254/
    Unfortunately nothing turned up. The car has been sitting. No recent pics.

Been working on my wife's 60recently. I painted it a few weeks ago. Putting it together now. The 56 is a couple of projects down on the list. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with it ;) IMG_3313.JPG

catdad49, -Brent-, 61Cruiser and 6 others like this.
  20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Okay, now I remember the post on the 56! It had been a while. Definitely a neat car for sure!

enloe, Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  21. noboD

noboD

I think I could leave that '56 JUST like it is and make it go.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

I agree with you. The problem however is apparently the last time the car was raced, it went off the end of the track and hit something. The frame rails are tweaked and the right headlight / fender area is damaged. I could probably straighten the frame and repair the body in a fashion to keep the patina but the antiquated suspension, no front brakes etc is very sketchy for any high speed track use today. I think I want to have it more functional. Like Vetrod 62. and with no history on the car, I'm not sure how much I want to keep the ratty paint etc. I see pros and cons both ways

23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

And California DMV just bent me over for $1,500! Ouch! Well there goes my suspension rebuild kit! Oh well, at least it is done and the title is mine!

24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

IMG_2355.JPG
    Oooh trunk goodies! I love trunk goodies! It’s like a treasure chest of stuff! Lol
    New brake shoes, rusty new shocks, old mouse turds, a cool steering wheel and T3 head lamps!

shortypu, catdad49, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  25. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yes, it was mostly taxes (about 10%).it was a little bit of a hassle because the car was never “no op” from 1975 so they wouldn’t let me title transfer and no op. I’m thankful CA didn’t try to get 45 yrs of back fees!
    In the end I just registered the car which will hopefully motivate me to get it going soon since I’m paying insurance and registration.

catdad49, loudbang and enloe like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

You can Non-Op and drop the insurance anytime you want now, in fact if you drop the insurance DMV will notify you to insure or non-op it.

loudbang, lumpy 63 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That is a good question! The plan has changed a couple of times now because of finding out a little of the car’s history. But currently I want to get it running an in primer. Eventually doing a version of Honduras maroon and white with a lot more metallic. Black interior (car came with a new interior) an of course 6 tail lights! (Car came with extra tail lights )

Engine will be a “loose” 360hp. I had the machine work done 3 yrs ago in anticipation I’d get a corvette. You know, thinking a head.

I located a Hays flywheel an an old scatter shield. Ram 11 inch disc and haven’t picked out a pressure plate yet. Dug out my 4.56 posi. I know Vetterod was saying It won’t live too long which he is right but, I’m hoping with the right clutch set up it can survive for awhile.

As for wheels I made the mistake of showing my wife too many pictures of restored pretty cars so now she think full caps and wide whites look great!
    Oops. Ahhh no!
    I’ll probability order a set of 15x6’s and do small caps at some point. But I ran out of money (imagine that)

Again before I ran out of $$$ I was trying to buy halibrand mags but everything was either too wide or way too much $$$!

That’s the plan....for now.

catdad49, loudbang, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I Adjustments.JPG
    It’s alive!!!! Barely but it has electrical power!!! Lol

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.