Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Midwest Forty Ford 80th Birthday Gathering - 9-26-2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, May 16, 2020.

1. Crocodile

Crocodile

I just wanted to add in that I had reached out to Bret about motels and parking, etc. because I have never been to Springfield before. He took the time to make sure we are OK parking where we shall, and sent me a text message to follow up on it. What a great fellow! I am really excited to get to this event, and meet a bunch of Forty nuts! He really is putting in the legwork to make sure we all have a great time.

MO_JUNK and bchrismer like this.
  2. Awww, shucks, Lyle! I'm just a '40 Ford guy who thought it would be fun to get some other midwest 40 Ford guys together to hang out for a day. I started the ball rolling on this thing back in January, before the 'rona impacted all of our lives, and sucked up all the cool events of the year. I guess fortunately enough, there were plenty of guys who are sick of staying home and a road trip adventure is something that was desperately needed. ;-)

I'm absolutely amazed by how much interest this little event has gathered. I owe that to the awesome art that B-Scott Studio whipped up for the t-shirts. I've shipped t-shirts all over the country, and with a few international guys that weren't afraid to pay shipping, I've sent a few into Canada and a box of them to Australia. States that will be represented include Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland (yeah, that's right), Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennesee, and Virginia.

While the Forty Fords are the "featured cars and trucks" for the event, what is more important to me is the friendships and conversations that will happen on Friday's hangout and Saturday at the "event". I know that Gary Manley and Dennis McMillion are both scheduled to hit town on Thursday (Virginia and Maryland, respectively), so I am planning on hanging out with them on Thursday evening.

Most events are put on by a club, and they get outside corporate support. This one is me, with some guidance from Clay Vance @cvstl, and some sanity check stuff with Mickey Bryan @straykatkustoms , and B-Scott and Lisa Haines. I am totally invested in trying to make this event something special for everyone who is taking their time and spending their money to come to SWMO for this gathering.

Speaking of B-Scott, I called him and Lisa on Thursday, because I had asked if they could run some bandanas with the T-shirt artwork, since I had been asked for some kind of printed artwork. Lisa wasn't available to visit with me about the costs, etc, but as usual, B-Scott and I got to talking and he says, "Hey...don't worry about dash plaques for the event. I had some made up that we'll give out to everyone." Blew me away! That was one of the things that I had overlooked, and B-Scott went the extra mile to make stuff even cooler for all you guys. (Lisa called me back on Friday and I ordered up a hundered 100% cotton black bandanas with the t-shirt art printed on them, btw)

If any of you have questions, feel free to give me a shout.

bret
    417-773-0769

Weedburner 40 likes this.
  3. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

4. Not to steal his thunder, but Gary Manley shared a few shots from the road on Facebook. I, too, like Steak n Shake, so naturally this one is my favorite so far. I believe he said this is in Hazard, KY. GaryManley39SteaknShake.jpg

5. Churchy

Churchy

9718C897-BBCA-4651-9FEE-F60B209EE1D1.jpeg
    Hate that I’m missing out this weekend!! I have not been on here in a bit and am a little out of the loop on the happenings outside of my little area of travel. Safe journeys to all that are attending!!

church

P.S. If there just happens to be one shirt left please gimme a shout!

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would love to see more of that car. Gets my heart thumpin.

7. GaryManley39.jpg
    You are coming to the park this weekend, right? If so, you can check out Gary's 39 in person.

8. Good morning Brent! I mentioned to you I'd have to check my work/family schedule as the date got closer, I will be able to make it down for the Friday night hang out but with kids football and a family campout with the local Boy Scout troop I will have to come back Friday night after things wind down there. Hopefully you'll have some shirts/other merch available! Looking forward to putting some miles on the 40, it's done a lot of sitting since the drive down for the swap and Spam Drags... See you all Friday!!!

Tim likes this.
  9. Hey Jeremy! Just tried calling you to make sure I have shirts, etc. Give me a shout so I can set some goodies aside for you.

Jermo likes this.
  10. Four boxes of goodies showed up today. Well, 3 1/3 boxes of t-shirts, with the remaining 2/3 being Midwest Forty Ford Day bandanas and dash plaques.
    bandana.jpg DashPlaque.jpg
    These 3 1/2" x 3" dash plaques.

11. 504640

Gary Manley stopped by my farm in Columbia, KY, in route to MidWest 40 Ford 80th Birthday Gathering! He put a partial tune on Dixie Delux, helped adjust the hood closing and left me with a parts list! Then, Kan Kustom, he took me for a ride in the gasser styled beast. Yes, my heart was thumping! Dixie and Manley coupw.JPG

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am still planning on coming. I wish I could have brought one or both of my 40's but have been busy doing everything but finishing them for a long time. With running a business along with helping 5 kids and 20 grandkids. On top of that, I am one of those guys talked about that try to build too many projects instead of getting one done before starting another. I know they are right but I just havent been able to control myself. I love all of the cars that I have that I wanted since I was a kid. Regardless, it will be a blast mingling with you guys that have figured out how to get yours done and enjoy them. It is just as cool to me to enjoy others and their cars as it is to enjoy what time I have working on mine. Thanks for putting this thing on Bret.

guthriesmith and bchrismer like this.
  13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Oh man ! You guys are in heaven. I love that car being an old drag racer myself on top of being exposed to an older neighborhood kid that had a hopped up 40 when I was a kid. 40's all over the place will be surreal.

bchrismer, 504640 and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man as much as I love a nose down stance that one is mean with the nose up! Way cool!

15. 20200924_184657.jpg
    20200924_184717.jpg
    20200924_184635.jpg
    20200924_184619.jpg
    I thought Eastern Time was an hour earlier than here in the Central Time Zone, but apparently it is actually 1 DAY earlier. Gary Manley, from Virginia, in his '39 Deluxe coupe, and Dennis McMillion (@Bigmac48), from Maryland, in his '40 Standard Sedan showed up within about an hour and a half of each other.

Dennis and his co-pilot, Virgil, drove Dennis' flathead powered '40 for the past two days to make it here for the event.

We had a great time going over to Braum's for some burgers, fries, and shakes, and a whole lot of story telling. This weekend is going to be a LOT of fun.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  16. Wow! I can’t wait for tomorrow!! I’m going over my 40 right now making sure she’s ready for the cruise from KC to Springfield tomorrow, can’t wait to see you guys there! IMG_2361.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I can't wait to see some 40s tomorrow!!

18. As any event goes, some folks who pre-registered won't be making it to the event, and others will wind up filling in the spot. Yesterday, @Russco sent me a message advising me that he's coming down to Crane to hang with us while my buddy Chris (the blue '40 sedan from Lemont, IL) let me know that he can't make it.

I'm pretty stoked that Mike and Sandy will be coming down in Mike's killer '60s era inspired '40 coupe.

Russco 40 coupe.jpg

joep4567, Tman, neilswheels and 10 others like this.
  19. GaryDennisandMe.jpg
    Last night, after Gary Manley, Dennis McMillion and his co-pilot Virgil, and I went up to the neighborhood Braum's restaurant for burgers, fries, and milkshakes. I "borrowed" this picture from Gary's FB page. I'm quite honored, humbled, etc, that these guys both drove over 1,100 miles to come hang out. It was cool that they both got here a day early so I had some extra time to hang out and visit with them.

Looking forward to seeing all of ya that are coming out to the "Meet n Greet" this evening ,and down to the park tomorrow.

Oh...while I am thinking about it, while hanging out with them in the parking lot of the hotel, I got a call from Forty Phil, who used to deal in '40 parts up near Chicago, primarily through his ads in HMN. Phil lives down in Clever, MO, now. Anyway, Phil called me a couple weeks ago and asked that since he doesn't have a 40 anymore, if it was OK for him to come hang out with us and bring a lot of his old photographs from various events. So...if you happen to run into Phil, that dude has a TON of '40 knowledge and stories and is a blast to visit with.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man this thread has got me thinking maybe this snotty 394 olds I got the other day should go into a 39/40 instead of a model A. You guys look like your having a lot of fun!

Dan Hay, 504640 and Primered Forever like this.
  21. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

On my way. Lunch today at the city park in Ozark, Missouri. I will be attending but parking in the "Nonbonafide" area. A beautiful day for a drive in the Ozarks.

neilswheels and Primered Forever like this.
  22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

23. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

See you tomorrow Sam! Glad to see my Model A won't be lonely! lol

MO_JUNK likes this.
  24. As predicted, I didn't get any photos. Hopefully some will show up on the inter webs soon, because I missed seeing all the cars.

Tim likes this.
  25. I REALLY am bummed I didn't get time to walk over and check out your Model A. Looked cool from where I was.

dwollam likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Thanks Bret. Where was Doug and his pickup? I got so busy visiting that I didn’t take any pics.

bchrismer likes this.
  28. Each fall, Doug and a group of adventure bike buddies go out west somewhere and do an extended week of motorcycle exploring. Last year they were in Utah, this year they went to Colorado. They also recently moved up to the tail waters of Lake of the Ozarks, and I tried to talk my sister into bringing the truck down, but that didn't happen.

I've seen a bunch of pic's on the FB, but I figure I'll let each of those guys post their own.

dwollam likes this.
  29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am hoping for some pictures. The day before the event my wife wasn't feeling well so we couldn'tmake the trip. It was a real bummer worrying about her and missing the event. She seems to have came out of it well and I hope you guys had a blast. I was really looking forward to being there.

30. I wondered where you were. I figured when you would let me know you were at the event I would tell ya to take the panel for a spin. I did that with @povertyflats and he gave me that surprised look that a buddy would give ya if ya farted out loud in church. When I told him, YES...Please go hop in the panel and take a ride, he wasted no time going for a cruise through town.