Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can pot metal be machined or cut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 24, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 65 Mercury has what looks to be a pot metal dash bezel and would like to cut it out to fit a modern stereo,I picked up one from the junkyard to try first and if it does not work will hide the stereo.

2. squirrel

squirrel

sure...take it slow, use something sharp, clamp it well.

3. I would drillthe corners then use a hacksaw blade or similar. A die grinder or cut off wheel will work but when you make a mistake it will be permenant.

4. squirrel

squirrel

pot metal clogs abrasives pretty quickly, too

j-jock, VANDENPLAS and saltracer219 like this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its very similar to cutting aluminum , slow speed is the word ..

6. Pick up an aluminum file (yes, there is such a thing; Nicholson makes them), it won't clog....

VANDENPLAS and jimmy six like this.
  7. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I keep a bar of soap handy when using a die grinder on pot metal or aluminum. It helps some to slow down clogging, and slow speeds.

deathrowdave likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Use WD 40 on your cutter.

LWEL9226 likes this.
  9. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

WD40 on cutting tools in aluminum works great... but need to reapply fairly often. Get yourself a stick of wax, doesn’t have to be any special cutting tool wax either. It’ll work on cutting tools and abrasive tools as well. Stays where you put it and lasts longer than WD40 too

And the aluminum file is called a “vixen” file. They come in several thicknesses and tooth spacings

deathrowdave likes this.
  10. The ones I have are stamped 'aluminum only'... not the same as a vixen.

11. I have used a cut-off disk in a Dremel on die cast, just have to be careful as they disintegrate easily.

j-jock, Just Gary and '51 Norm like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Slow and easy will win the race . Lube the cutting tools as suggested and let her eat !

13. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

14. squirrel

squirrel

I got a bottle of Tap Magic for cutting aluminum...might not be the right formula for zinc, though.

15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I use the paste type of tap magic, it's more expensive but stays where you put it.

squirrel likes this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It would help a lot if you post a picture and show us what you are trying to cut in order to make it work. Might be a better way if I can see just what you are trying to remove. Since you said cut it "out", I assume you want to enlarge the opening. Trying to do so by hand may make it difficult to cut a straight line and look bad later.

17. NO!!!!!

I almost lost a good friend who did that- aerosol/spray lubricants become toxic (a form of cyanide gas) when they heat up!

Please use cutting oil, 3-in-1, etc

18. fortynut

fortynut

I think brake cleaner is what you're referring to Budget36. Very toxic gases arise from heating. Never use to clean areas prior to welding. Instead use Acetone as it evaporates almost immediately. WD40 is used by many machinists on aluminum as a lubricant where the heat generated does not cause it to change the basic chemical composition through rapid oxidation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    clem likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WD sure work great when using my Kett Cutter on the back side of aluminum or thin steel.

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

:eek: For real? Never heard that!

21. Worked in a company years ago and our machinist used something called "Door Ease", it was a waxy stick in a metal tube about an inch in diameter and 4 or 5 inches long. Pushed it out from the bottom kinda like a lipstick and he used it on bandsaw blades and all sorts of other cutting tools as a lubricant. Got it at the hardware store.

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The wax seals that are used under toilets are a good source for lubricating saw blades and such. I prefer to use only new ones.........:p

5window, j-jock, '51 Norm and 2 others like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

No, not brake kleener, I said WD40, WD40 keeps the cutter from balling up with Al., if potmetal has the same effect it should work for that too.

24. fortynut

fortynut

I was referring to something inside my head. Something everyone should know. Death or feeling like you're going to die follows welding when brake cleaner has been used. And, as to using W(ater)D(isplacing formula) 40 to clean metal before welding, never thought it would be effective as any lubricant tends to make welding metal a pain in the arse and weakens the weld.

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No shit?

26. 1ton

1ton

Budget36 might have just come up with an actual use for WD40.

clem likes this.
  27. Dad always had an old broken candle and a bar of soap in the basement:

- the bar of soap for screws going into wood
    - the candle to run a saw blade through to make the cutting easier

In regard to the cyanide gas- a friend was using his drill press and sprayed either WD40 or PB Blaster as cutting oil. The liquid quickly turned to gas, he caught a wiff, and woke up later on the floor, barely able to breathe. Was in the hospital for two weeks, lucky to be alive.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will post some pics of the parts i want to cut on after I get back from the show tomorrow.

29. clem

clem