Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

It you are that close and going to drive and see it ask before you buy WHERE it was built or by who. Some of the offshore stuff are not worth trying spinning around close to the radiator.

2. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Looks like special order

loudbang likes this.
  3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I went the the junk yard today fully intending to look for a replacement fan... and got these instead.

[​IMG]

I think the navy is a nice interior contrast color too.
    [​IMG]

Got the full leather interior with front electric seats for $75. Couldn’t turn them down. Problem is, I know where this slippery slope is about to go. I know darn well I’ll end up pulling that carpet up, hating the way the floor looks, weld in new flooring, replace carpet, etc.

Not necessarily a bad thing, it needs to be done, just not sure I was ready to get into all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Hombre like this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bro.... Please tell me you're not going to put those 80s Cadillac seats in that beautiful Olds....

Steve Ray and Torkwrench like this.
  5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, for now at least. My current interior is torn to hell because of my dogs. Outside of the Caddy logo, I think they’ll look pretty good.

mario711 and loudbang like this.
  6. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I guarantee I’m not the only one from the H.A.M.B., but check it out! Baloo made the cover of a Speedway Motors catalog!

[​IMG]

Tman, Gotgas, mario711 and 4 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

B0998E79-40CE-4DB6-ACAA-ACCD06E39C63.jpg
    IMG_5502.JPG

Hey all, had an interior question. I thought about starting a new thread for it, but I’ll try here first. First two pics are just for fun.

I ended up selling off the Cadillac seats. The fronts couldn’t tilt forward enough. Being a two door and having kids, I really need easy access to the back. On the bright side, I sold them for more than I paid, so that’s cool.

I want to keep my original seats, but I can’t afford to have someone do a custom interior. I keep eyeing crappy seat covers, but I don’t like them.

Now I have been looking at interior kits like this:
    IMG_5793.JPG

That’s something I can afford to do. Even if not all at once. Something Olds specific is a little hard to come by. Anyone know a car that would match up well enough to what I have? I thought maybe a bench seat wouldn’t be too difficult to match, but I don’t want to jump into it without a little research.

Here’s a better shot of my interior:
    IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5795.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Call me crazy but I don't think the seats you have are too bad. They look good in the car.

I've had basic ass white press pleat covers in my 57 ford for almost 20 years and they still look more than presentable. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with white tuck and roll if you can't get something specific. And don't listen to guys saying it's hard to keep clean. It cleans right up with a little bleach white or soft scrub and magic eraser.

loudbang likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

100_5860.JPG Blue with white inserts or white with blue inserts would look good in that car,something like how this seat is done up.

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Well, it finally happened. I had to call a tow truck today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still not 100% sure what’s up. Worst case scenario is head gasket. I’ll start with a block leak test and cylinder pressure check. Engine still cranks and seems to run fine, but I lost a lot of coolant all of a sudden, and it seems to be from rear of the block.

Anyway, hoping for the best, planning for the worst.

On another note, I finally added the original trim to the tail lights. I really like how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, I’m still working on that 54 Chevy. I sure love the way my garage looks with it next to the Olds!
    [​IMG]

Once I know what’s up with the engine, I’ll post an update.

12. If it didn’t overheat and was a sudden massive loss of coolant my first thought is a core plug.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. BJR

BJR

That 53 Olds is a car I lust for. You have a great one.

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If you wind up having to pull that engine I wouldn't put it back in. That thing has been nothing but issues for you.

EnragedHawk and loudbang like this.
  15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

[​IMG]

Looks like it’s just the intake, thank God. Did a compression check at that cylinder, read perfect. Car still starts and runs fine. Pulling the intake right now to see if there’s anything I’m missing.

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm glad it's looking like a relatively easy fix!

17. So, what did you find....the suspense is killing us:rolleyes:

loudbang and EnragedHawk like this.
  18. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Still not 100% sure, but it sure looks like the intake gasket broke in the corner. Everything else looks fine.
    [​IMG]

I’m confident enough to go ahead and swap the gasket and throw it all back together. It’s just a $25 bet. Should have the car back together today but won’t be adding fluids till tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Well, I hate this damn intake.

Coolant leak is fixed. But I must have bumped the rear intake gasket when I set it down. The lifter valley is throwing oil all over the transmission when I drive it. Going to have to start over.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Not familiar with the big Olds engines but could you replace the rear and front gaskets with a big bead of RTV like we have done for years with the SBC's?:rolleyes:

loudbang and EnragedHawk like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm not familiar with them either, does it use a rubber gasket across the ends like is used on the SBC, if so we used to use a center punch and put divots along the rail to keep the rubber piece in place instead of squishing put of place when they are installed.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  22. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I’ve had that recommended to me many times. The front and rear have always been an issue on this engine. I tried it once, and the gap just seemed too big to leave it. Last time I used RTV on both sides of the cork gasket and it worked fine. This time it didn’t work.

I’ve already taken it apart and the new gasket will be here in the morning. I’m going to try the classic and basic, only RTV the corners. If it still leaks, I’m taking it to a friend of mine. He’s a car-demigod. Haha

loudbang likes this.
  23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

It’s a cork gasket for the front and rear. I used a thin spread of RTV on it first round. Going to keep it basic this time.

loudbang likes this.
  24. From a post on the CO sight:
    intake manifold gasket issue - ClassicOldsmobile.com
    seems this is an issue like in the SBC. I have never had a large bead of silicon RTV blow out. You do need a good seam of it 1/4 to 5/16 thick and let it harden over night before starting the engine fwiw.
    Good luck with the new gasket set.

25. BJR

BJR

Put a thin layer of rtv on the block and embed the cork gasket in it. Let it sit over night, then another thin bead of rtv and install the manifold.

Hutkikz and loudbang like this.
  26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, there are a ton of opinions on which RTV to use for front and rear intake seals. If I go all RTV, which do you guys recommend? I’m cleaning up my mess now. Won’t pick up gaskets for an hour or so.

loudbang likes this.
  27. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

loudbang likes this.
  28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

https://www.facebook.com/1286021457/posts/10219869088659392/?d=n

Well, Baloo is back up and running, and just in time for the snow.

I kinda whined in my last post about giving up. I really had. I had used very little RTV and thought I could pull the intake without ripping gaskets. I was wrong. It had to go back together one more time before I took it to a shop. Otherwise I’d need a tow truck. I finally got it on the third try.

After skipping the cork gaskets on the second attempt, I stacked and glued them together with the third set for the front and rear. That seems to have taken care of the oil leak. What a pain.

Anyway, glad to have my car back. My backup OT car died a week later and I’ve had to borrow a car from my dad. Now I gotta fix the OT car so I can get back to my 54. Haha

Too many projects. Not enough money or time.

29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Most of you guys probably heard we got some snow in Texas yesterday. I ran out today and took the obligatory car photos. Car seems to be doing well. We’ve got some trust issues to work out right now. Haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peanut 1959, loudbang, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  30. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Hey all! It’s been a while!

Baloo has been running amazing! Just wanted to give a few updates.

I know most of you guys will hate these, but I added some lights. Only showing off the one picture. They’re lame, but I like them.
    A1D225C5-EA85-4078-B2C0-0561E38618AB.jpeg

Still being used as a daily driver as well. Also have kids and dogs in my car. It’s always a fun experience. B1FAA23A-6444-4FD3-B230-3E6C65D6E840.jpeg

Ok, this I’m super excited about. I picked up my first ever set of custom plates! I have wanted a set since I was a kid. These are a dream come true.
    8D14E6E4-5665-4042-B1E2-BE3F150262E1.jpeg

I’m finally looking into adding AC. Long story short, I decided to make my own AC compressor brackets. I’m pretty proud of them.
    9FBDBB4D-54E6-4FF0-8CB5-079A33EE3549.jpeg 689E975B-E4B6-4BFC-AC9F-FB997127FEB2.jpeg 69350408-F4DB-4FE3-87FA-14A42543906E.jpeg B516AB8C-3372-4477-8508-C4D0C1C397C3.jpeg 2BDFD874-AF2D-4CBA-8D06-DDFD07AFC65C.jpeg 4E39A0A4-AA21-473D-897D-E80653F446E7.jpeg

While I was at it, I noticed my fan was loose. Turns out the bearing in the water pump had gone bad. And guess what? THATS THE SCREAMING NOISE IVE HEARD GOING DOWN THR ROAD!

New pump got the fan to shut up. Sounds great going down the road now. I also found the correct pump and pulley to get all three groves to line up properly. Super excited about that.

And finally, I also added an extra electric fan to help keep cool in traffic. Starts creeping up to 210/220 sitting still for too long. Hopefully this will help. Kicks on at 190*.

0CAEEE66-F7AD-45ED-ADF8-3272E99B1FD8.jpeg A08C6DFB-BC55-4C2E-8271-7E86FA393CDB.jpeg DEB18EEE-98F1-4897-9C7F-C9EB30136742.jpeg

Looking forward to Pistons and Paint in Denton this weekend!