Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

The Rochester injector units are an AMAZING piece of engineering for their simplicty and effectiveness for mileage and power! But, after driving my 283 Fulie for the past 9 years ('57 Utility Sedan), I'll say they can be quirky as hell! My GURU has been Tom Ordway in Granada Hills, he's driven, tuned, and restored these units for the past 40 years. Tom does beautiful work in his restorations, for a very reasonable price. PM me for his number!

catdad49, loudbang, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang, Thor1, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  3. Reading you loud and clear the prices are lofty these days. The guy at Hershey and Carlisle is a stand up car guy named John, honest,far and knowledgeable.

QUOTE="woodiewagon46, post: 13755632, member: 215025"]I had a 1960 Fulie Corvette and sold it when I got married. When I walk around the flea market at HERSHEY and see the guy that restores and sells the F.I. units for about $8,000 it makes me want to puke.[/QUOTE]

loudbang, Thor1, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  4. Dennis D

Dennis D

Nice early Husky!

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't you love it when guys treat old Fuel Injected Vettes like garbage cans......:(

I'll take shit piled on a Fuelie Vette for $ 200.00 Alex.

Bitchin' Vette
    Cool Bob Orrison history.

[​IMG]

Baumi, -Brent-, Elcohaulic and 8 others like this.
  6. Nice score, those kids look stoked.

7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The car then changed hands at least once maybe two times before ending up with Pete Ordway the younger brother of Rich and Tom Ordway who ran this injected 57 as a jr stocker as well as several 57 passenger cars. (I’ve posed pictures before. IMG_3657.JPG
    Side note - my first trip down the drag strip as a teenager was in this car at LACR.
    Anyways Pete had the car for a few years but never drove it. He then sold it to Kevin (good friend of Tom Ordway) to start his business which he has to this day.

Kevin’s story:
    Kevin who is another Southern California guy who with his partner in 1968 ran a 427 powered 61 vette with Muncie and Olds rear end. The car ran 10.52 in Southern California and 10.32 at half moon bay. They eventually switched to a th400 because they were twisting the Henry’s axles and breaking Muncies and this dropped them to an 11.00.
    Per his memory they did not lose a street race on Colorado Blvd, Whittier or Van Nuys Blvd. “It was pretty rough to drive on the street.”
    He also ran other cars in Gas class.
    He’s is looking for a picture of the vette at Lyons which I’d like to post when I get it.

Sadly By the time I came around I still got to go to the drags as a kid with these guys but most of their cars were “stock” stuff. Plus they had shifted to circle track at the time. (Which was fun too)
    Anyways, back to the 61 Corvette. Kevin bought it from Pete in the mid-late 80’s. He was able to drive it to his home in Palmdale where he parked it with plans to get to it some day.

Thus this is what it looked like anytime I saw it over the next several years. Always of course throwing out the disclaimer “If you ever want to sell it” which was always followed by laughter. Lol Adjustments.JPG

Ultimately I was not around for the really “fun” stuff but I am blessed to have caught the “tail end” of it and it definitely had huge impact on my automotive life!
    I’ve had great mentors (my father included) who taught me a lot an at times I had to endure much verbal abuse as a youth when I said and did dumb stuff. (I have to laugh at what people get offended by on the H.A.M.B. sometimes. These guys were drivers, mechanics (some professional) and combat vets - the hazing was not nice but sometimes down right hilarious!)
    Again, giving thanks were thanks was due!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. That car has had an incredible journey and now has an enthusiastic caretaker. What a wonderful story. I had a fawn beige ‘62 for 15 years and traded it for my ‘40 Chevy convert in early 1979. Still driving it on a pretty regular basis.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

And surprisingly no rust! Even the floors are solid! lol
    All kidding aside there is so holes here and there and I’ll need glass work on the front end.

shortypu, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6bangertim,
    Check out the rest of the story. I think we have a mutual friend.

11. elgringo71

elgringo71

Congratulations, that is a great project and sometimes persistence does pay off. It’s in good hands now and even your kids are excited about it. I’m looking forward to seeing you get it running. I like what you are planning to do with it

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG

My happy ass son who has already laid claim to it over his siblings!
    Adjustments.JPG

Every corvette needs a picture of it sitting in the weeds!
    Because of the fires Kevin thought he was going to have to evacuate so he worked until 2am digging the car out of its “tomb”, then loaded on a trailer to an airplane hanger in Rosemond for safe keeping. Thankfully they didn’t loose anything and didn’t have to evacuate but the fire was definitely close! Adjustments.JPG

Baumi, shortypu, catdad49 and 11 others like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Wasn’t about to leave it on a trailer in the front yard when we brought it home Tuesday night so I recruited minions to help push the car around to the back! Adjustments.JPG IMG_2298.JPG
    The lightest kid always gets to steer! They actually fight for this position when we are moving cars around.lol

Baumi, shortypu, catdad49 and 11 others like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Someone say GASSER?????... :D:cool:

chevy57dude, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Subscribeed

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool man...... 1st generation corvettes are wonderful cars !!!!

Baumi, Elcohaulic, enloe and 5 others like this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

What an awesome picture! I’ll tell my son he had to have started when he was younger! Adjustments.JPG

shortypu, catdad49, TFoch and 9 others like this.
  18. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Adjustments.JPG
    Not sure what color scheme we were going for!

Adjustments.JPG

Cool sun tach but I think you might crash if you actually try to read it while racing! Adjustments.JPG

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Some of the extra parts that came with the car. IMG_2352.JPG
    Extra seats
    IMG_2410.JPG

62 T10
    Adjustments.JPG

Injector
    Adjustments.JPG
    With heads

57 Pontiac housing
    Adjustments.JPG

catdad49, shortypu, TFoch and 9 others like this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

21. Budget36

Budget36

Ya need to talk to your friend, been near 50 years:)

chopped, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Ha ha! Right you are! That’s funny! I honestly just saw the 8 and with the size thought tach!

24. vetrod62

vetrod62

The
    The holes in the floor and probably in the trunk are to let water out. My car was 4 years old when I got it, it leaked so bad, I drilled lots of holes to get the water out. Jim

catdad49, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  25. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

My dad drilled holes in the floor of his 56 Corvette, I still have the car, it still has the holes, it still leaks bad when it rains. That’s why I haven’t replaced the carpet still just bare fiberglass floors.

Sent from my iPhone
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

catdad49, scotty t, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

Damn, would ya at least blow the dust off it? It's a freakin Vette!

27. vetrod62

vetrod62

Forget the sun tach, I had a good one and tried to use it on the black car with a msd-6al (which you will need) for the rev limiter. Even with the msd adapter, it did not work. So much for old school. Just hide the msd-6 under the dash.Yes I know that is the oil pressure gauge.

The only place for the Tach is on the dash pad. I Put this tach on the dash pad 10 minutes after installing the pad.

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That was violent and awesome all at the same time! I can’t wait to play!
    I’ll touch base here soon about how you set up the cars.

Baumi, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  29. vetrod62

vetrod62

Jim D says..
    "Sounds good. Making plans with what you are going to do with your "new" solid axle Corvette is good stuff."

He is so correct. When I bought my Black car in 2003 to make it a 60s street racer, It was a survivor car. I sold over $11,000 of take offs.

Do not even think of running that T-10, You will blow it up real fast if you have any power. Then garbage.
    Same for the stock rear axle, if you still have it. Way too weak for power and traction. Even the Pontiac rears are to weak when you get the traction and power right. We are talking 400+ hp, not to hard to make today. Do not ever run a Dana center section. Sell it to some one who only wants the look. Things like the grooved springs bring big money. Lastly, those 61 seats are worth a lot of money.

Do not hesitate asking for advice when you move to the next step. Some of what I have can over power the strongest cars and break things.

I am always willing to help anyone wanting to run these cars hard or race these cars. Jim

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    catdad49, jammer, 61Cruiser and 8 others like this.