Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. John Barker

John Barker
    from So. CA

Two recent builds I completed that I believe are HAMB compliant:
    Moebius ‘65 Plymouth Hemi SS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revell’s ‘29 Ford Roadster (a tough kit to assemble well IMO):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

3. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

4. rc57

rc57

John and 41 coupe-beautiful work

Deuces likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Nice work fellas!!!!!.....:);) Thumbsup.jpg

1morecarIpromise! and Lil32 like this.
  6. Mike-model

Mike-model

Hello guys,

I'd like to report back to the bench again. Just a short statement, I was out since May but all is well now and the bench is dusted off and I've already gotten a few nasty little blisters on my fingertips. Well, ain't it great to be alive!

I had a previous sidewinder dragster in the works, but I've abandoned it for something fresh.

Here the beginnings of a 1:16 scratch build in brass of Roger Lee's restored cackle car of 1968 vintage. I chose this one as my 1st 1:16 build as it's perfectly documented, Roger is very helpful with tips, info and photos.

So, here the "Blown Chow" FED, 178" wheelbase. Brass chassis, front wheels will be wire laced, a few motor parts will be cast in nickel. The plan is to make this model about as perfect as I can possibly do, the size can allow about everything to be wonderfully replicated. That's the plan anyways....time will tell.

Here the scale drawing, a few changes were made though. Still shows what I'm working with;

-IMG_3238.jpg -IMG_3239.jpg

First photos of the chassis beginnings. I split the chassis at the crankshaft pulley, makes for easier further assembly of the two halves. The two just slide into each other and will be soldered up with a diagonal when I'm further along;

-IMG_3244.jpg -IMG_3246.jpg -IMG_3247.jpg -IMG_3249.jpg

Roll bar coming up.

Thanks for looking...it's great to be back!

Mike..

7. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

This was finished in the Spring, but I don't believe I posted it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ I firmly believe your cars are real and you're a miniature man who
    drives them around his miniature neighborhood. Each one is a superstar
    car.

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I can only imagine the feeling of satisfaction when you complete these works of art.

abc123, mchook, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  10. philo426

philo426

Cool green Land Rover nearing completion! 20200924_164940.jpg 20200924_164921.jpg

11. philo426

philo426

12. Mike-model

Mike-model

Oh my, look at this! This one rings a bell. Really, 1959 to early 60s, was there ever a more fun time to view the newest what Detroit had to offer? I remember well in the neighborhood, here a new Ford. My gosh, look at that '60 Pontiac Coupe! That '60 Olds is insane! The bubbletops....sensational! There were so many. Soon 70, I can remember well.

@NHRANUT, You did good here, I love it!

13. Mike-model

Mike-model

Well I just read this and am grateful for the insight. Indeed, these models bring great pleasure. I have them in a lit and enclosed shelf, and sometimes catch myself wondering how these were made. Just saying now, I've made a decent life making small and intricate things in metal and other materials, 48 years now.

These model cars though, are my dearest treasures. I'll be 70 soon, and have plans, but yes, the satisfaction cannot be measured in words. The best thing though, the smile doesn't go away.

A "Fuel Altered Trilogy"....all metal builds in 1:25, a few years ago.

-IMG_2279a.jpg -IMG_2282.jpg -IMG_2352.jpg

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

It's nice to read your thoughts and see your previous work. There are great
    modelers, shown right here on the H.A.M.B., and there are artisans, as proven
    by your work. I can't imagine the time and effort that goes into your efforts but
    I can sure appreciate the end results.

Now, when you make a mistake, don't trash it...call me to take it off your hands!

Mike-model likes this.
  15. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Getting this one close to being finished.
    SUNP0036.JPG

16. philo426

philo426

17. Mike-model

Mike-model

@quick85, I hear it! Many thanks for the kudos.

Just as an older fellow, I'll proudly write, if I make a mistake and goof up.. I will try to fix it.

Deuces and quick85 like this.
  18. Mike-model

Mike-model

Today I can offer a small update. Chassis tabs and supports.

The ballast weights up front have racks to lay on, the fuel tank as well. For the fuel tank, the crossbar supports were mounted to the middle of the lower chassis rail, thus leaving room for a safety plate to be mounted under the fuel tank for protection from stone debris on the track. Radius rod tabs along with side mounted tabs for the long steering linkage attached and loops for the seat belt harness attached to the bottom rail out back.

-IMG_3283.jpg -IMG_3289.jpg -IMG_3290.jpg -IMG_3293.jpg

Next up are more of the same for the cockpit area, clutch, go-pedal and steering unit, as well as triangulation bar brackets are needed.

Mike..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  19. Mike-model

Mike-model

Hello guys, a few small things were added to the chassis today. The silly things took me all day to do, but here in Germany it's a holiday (Stupid to have a holiday on a Saturday!) so no problem.

Rear axle supports, still a bit too wide, parts haven't arrived yet.

Steering support to the chassis, already bolted on, along with a clutch pedal mount bracket.

Up front a bell crank along with the mounting bracket to the chassis.

The colored lines show where lots of attention is still needed, the area is way too bulky and sloppy. Just another reason why I like to take a photo of every step, blown up the mistakes are brutal.

-IMG_3298.jpg -IMG_3299.jpg -IMG_3302.jpg -IMG_3303.jpg -IMG_3304.jpg

Thanks for looking, Mike..

20. Hi Mike,

unbelievable details, beautiful models. I just realized that you are located in Germany. I guess not many people in Europe fully realize what you are accomplishing as most don't even know what a dragster is.

Cheers from Austria.

lothiandon1940 and Mike-model like this.
  21. Mike-model

Mike-model

@Surfcityrocker, hey....Austria! I'll have to out myself as being a huge fan of your country. My wife has Tiroler blood in the family, she speaks Italian also, I eat Italian preferably. Just when we travel south from Germany, we spend time in the mountains and enjoy the hams, sausages, breads and cheeses from your area. The wife can't stay away from the sweet things either. A good gal! We both love Austria. I don't have much to do with the Germans actually, except that we live there. We prefer a friendlier and easier pace of life.

Agreed, Euro folks like other cars, that's OK. I don't post anywhere in Europe, for me a waste of time.

I appreciate you dropping by and commenting, es hat mich sehr gefreut. Guys, just a short greeting to our fellow member from Austria.

Mike..

22. Mike-model

Mike-model

UPDATE: steering box finished today.
    For the first time finally a decent steering box made up today. The previous small scale 1:25 attempts were never really satisfactory. This one though, has me smiling ear to ear!

First off, the steering box as is, then photos of the real car, courtesy Roger Lee. I've never seen such well documented real life FED photos!

Also shown at the end is the revised bell crank and support bracket....this still bothers me a bit, might have to do some more detailing with the bracket.

-IMG_3307.jpg -IMG_3308.jpg Roger Lee pic 2.jpg -IMG_3308b.jpg Roger Lee pic 1.jpg -IMG_3308c.jpg -IMG_3310.jpg -IMG_3314.jpg

Thanks for looking. Next up is fabrication of the dropped front axle.

Mike..

23. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Chuck Lipka's 41.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't intend for this to happen, but Chuck has it now. He was impressed.

[​IMG]

24. Mike-model

Mike-model

@NHRANUT, beautiful model. You didn't miss a lick, I can well imagine Mr. Chuck went nuts! Excellent job.
    Mike..

Fueler38, Sancho, NHRANUT and 2 others like this.
  25. The last pic, where he holds it in his hands, is priceless.

26. Some projects that I am working on.
    1. AMTs Ford F-100, an old gluebomb I built as a kid that I am completely reworking: lowered suspension, padded running boards, 58 Impala wheelcovers, Exhaust stacks from Monogram '40 Pickup kit.
    DSC_0306.JPG
    2. AMTs Ford Shoebox - I started the kit 10 years ago, painted it but lost the hood and then interest. I want to finally finish this one now: Chopped top, custom interior, restyled rear and front with Desoto grill and Studebaker wheelcovers.
    DSC_0308.JPG
    3. Revells 1970s Willys Pickup Gasser - this one will get more of an early 60s vibe: new wheels, Blown Nailhead, scratchbuilt rear bumper.
    DSC_0309.JPG

27. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

The "priceless" part is that Chuck was "speechless". If you ever met Chuck, you'll know that it was a first! LOL

28. Mike-model

Mike-model

UPDATE:
    Started the front axle and polished it up today. Piano wire, polishes and solders nicely. The wire is 2.5mm, makes for a scale 1.5", perfect. The front end will have posable (sp.?) steering. The axle and parts are exact scale. -IMG_3323.jpg
    -IMG_3324.jpg -IMG_3325.jpg -IMG_3326.jpg -IMG_3327.jpg Kingpins at 8°, 44" pin to pin. Radius rod and torsion bar brackets scaled also.
    Next up is further with the torsion bar connections, then the tie rods.
    A large assortment of parts arrived today, motor and rear ends along with a pair of 5 slot Halibrands with nice slicks!

This being my first 1:16 car, the parts are HUGE. Getting used to them now though..Mike..

Ron Funkhouser, mchook, Lil32 and 9 others like this.