Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rethinking my use of electronic ignitions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 19, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will go over the grounds this winter when I change the trans,the last module lasted about 12 years but only around 25,000 miles. Looks like to be safe I will have to keep a spare pick up coil and module in the trunk.

dirty old man likes this.
  2. ^^^it's not a quik fix to install the pickup coil, you gotta pull the distributor to do it, so you better be prepared with the tools and timing light, etc.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

On a Ford it does not need to come out,need to have a magnet handy to catch the pin that reluctor wheel or what ever its called when its pulled off the shaft.

4. Hot Rod magazine had a short editorial on the crappy aftermarket electronic ignition modules and parts in general coming from China, India, Vietnam and even the US. When you go to a parts store to get a Duraspark Module it is a crapshoot if it is a quality part or not. And you are right that you cannot walk into a Ford dealer and buy most of these 70's components anymore. The Hot Rod article mentioned that they had to go through 4 O'rielly HEI modules before getting one that would start the car. I have read internet posts where dozens of people have went through a Ford starter solenoid every three to six months due to crappy quality aftermarket junk. These things used to last 20 years or more! Then the argument starts as to what is a good reliable brand (good luck) and then there are counterfeit parts in name brand boxes but crappy parts inside. This applies to everything, relays, bulbs, even nuts and bolts from the hardware store. Grade 8 on the shelf is not real grade 8 ! This is what we get for letting all the production go offshore.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I like buying NORS electric parts on ebay

Sent from my Trimline

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Then the argument starts as to what is a good reliable brand (good luck)..."

A "brand" that used to be good, may merely be relabelling the same poor quality items as their competitors, nowadays.

7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

3rd forum I have complained about others complaining about ignition parts!
    Mostly I hear about condensers .... I know points and the nylon snuber wears down also but condenser is the biggest complaint.

What actually is a condenser made of? ... What would it take to make one in a garage?
    I assume it will take some tooling and material, A guy sit in the garage and pull down a lever and stamp out a canister, get it setup and stamp out 10-15 in a day and make good quality. People would pay for this. I would be happy to buy a decent USA made condenser over the internet, (for more money) then a China one from the store.
    Just thinking, A retired guy in the garage could make these things in spare time and do great.
    One size fits many A little adjustment to tooling, and can make different models or possibly start making capacitors for electric motors and sell in bulk to motor manufacturers. Hire your kids for salesman and their wife for secretary.

Just saying now is the time, lets quit complaining and start doing ... I am too stupid to understand electricity outside of 110/220.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  8. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I think there are modern capacitors for electronics that work excellent in ignitions, it's been mentioned earlier on the hamb, but they are probably set up for being soldered to a circuit board rather than screwed onto a distributor. One of those put inside a suitable metal package and you should be fine for a long time.
    As usual I have forgot the details about what kind of capacitor to use. There are loads of different ones.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Does anyone know if the Ford Duraspark system needs a resistor,I have been running this one straight off 12 volts.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been selling these for 4 years without a single failure. I know they are a specialty item, but it proves that it can be done. I am now making them for pre-war Fords as well. I could make then for general use, but quite frankly, people don't want to pay a premium for quality, no matter what they post on the boards. Everybody wants American quality at Chinese prices.

cap1.jpg IMG_1719.JPG

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And there lies the rub !!;)

12. Some do, some don't. I believe the early versions did use a resistor, the later ones didn't. And there may be a version that has the resistor built into the module. IIRC there's four different modules depending on year/model but don't hold me to that. The modules are supposed to be identified by the color of the plug surround on the module. I don't know if the aftermarket followed Fords lead on this.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I use the ones with the blue plug.

14. It's been a long time since I screwed with those, but IIRC the external resistor version(s) had two power connections, one for start and one for ignition. I've seen guys splice those wires together and use a single feed, but what it does for module life I can't say.

MSD 6A, no more ignition issues.... just sayin'... LOL

dirty old man likes this.
  15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I love to see stuff like this!

For understandable reasons a lot of people didn't feel like wrestling with my previous post on this thread, but this is exactly what I meant about solutions which actually decrease the required level of capital investment.

16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Lets be honest about this. tubman took these to the next level, they really look nice and would be proud to have one on my truck.
    I went through 3 condensers at $10 each to get a working one on a 67 international truck and condensers from napa. The 4th one I went out back and grabbed a used one from a old 283 chevy been sitting for years. And was how I completed the tune up on it.
    On the Ford Barn in the same type of conversation, guy went through 6 condensers to get a working one ... then carries 2 tested known working spares, guy just hoping his condenser gets him home. He has $80 invested in condensers and still crap and driving on a hope and prayer he gets home.
    P-15-D24 mopar forum same complaints and I assume any old car forum has same issue.

I will not advertise tubman price, it is lower then the guy above with $80 invested and still may end up walking home.
    I threw $30 in the trash can before I just grabbed a old used one.
    I thought maybe a guy could stamp these out for $30-$40 bucks and do all right, made out of tin etc ... tubman took them to the next level.
    Sometimes we need to be smart about where we invest our money in these old cars.
    My next step would be electronic ignition, same time switch to 12 volts negative ground.
    tubman saving me money here, and I will have quality ... others will walk home.