Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford Flathead V8 build thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Christopher Miller, Dec 26, 2019.

1. While I don’t have many pictures I can report that when it comes to body work I am down to only three more pieces. The passenger step up piece, a little work to the passenger door, and the hoot pieces still need attention. Passenger fender is done and bolted up. It’s been a pain to get it all fitting back together after I had to replaced so much metal, showing all my inexperienced work flaws. Quite frustrating! One piece at a time I suppose. Also painted the rims today so we can get some wheels on to roll it out of the barn because the painting process is right around the corner. Trying so hard to beat the cold! Work work work! IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4751.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4754.JPG IMG_4755.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Okie Pete and rusty valley like this.
  2. Did I mention I painted the rims? Still need cleared but wow IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4806.JPG

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

watcha got going on there, new 19.5's ?

4. I don’t quite remember but I’ll look next time I’m out there to look at them

5. Last piece welded in exception to the hood pieces. I’ll get the welds cleaned up on this, determine if I need to do any more body work and then get all the body pieces together and lining them up. There’s a lot of work that’ll go into making sure the body pieces line up since I’ve had to replace so much metal. Drilling new holes, making all my gaps even, re-welding if necessary... it’s gonna be a task IMG_4883.JPG IMG_4886.JPG IMG_4883.JPG

6. Found out just how much I messed up today. Had to cut in weird places and re-bend sides to make this step-up really fit. The frame starts to curve inward right at this point and I missed that here’s to show the new angle I put in it IMG_4890.JPG

Next I had to cut out a sliver to give the step up a bowed top. The cab is bowed and if the step up were flat, I miss my bolt holes to the fender by about half an inch. The flow from step-up to fender would be terrible so I went ahead and re-did that

IMG_4891.JPG

Now while I’m going to go for a rough/ grippy look for the step ups I felt the need for some Bondo on the areas I welded just because it comes a little into view. Idk how I’m going to rough this area up so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb but I’ll figure something out after I sand it up
    IMG_4893.JPG

rusty valley and Okie Pete like this.
  7. So problem I’m dealing with currently is being able to mask the welding but not mask it to a degree where it’s noticeable. Normally I would do a bunch of body work (not caking Bondo obviously) but just enough to make a surface uniform and good looking. Right now the baseboards are so pitted that it would be useless to try and fix it all. The metal is solid as a rock despite the pitting. I need to put Bondo on my weld areas and blend it into the pitted area also while not drawing attention to the areas that are super smooth. Here’s how this is going, hopefully you get what I’m trying to say.

From a distance you would never notice but with the possibility I’d take this to a show or it catching eyes you know someone is going to get close on it and try to call me out. Being only 18 I just know some older guy who’s experienced would love to find flaws. So here’s the step up as of right now

IMG_4910.JPG

Looks god right? Wrong. Some up close shots show the poor blend so far

IMG_4904.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4907.JPG IMG_4909.JPG

I need the transition to be flawless. This piece will be stepped on a lot and I’ll paint it final with a very gritty black paint. It’s meant to be a little rough but I need the rough look all over. Primer was just to show me where my imperfections in blending were

8. Here’s the same attempt over the area I had to replace with ridges. I think it’s been disguised well and doesn’t stand out as too smooth compared to the rest.

IMG_4754.JPG
    IMG_4899.JPG IMG_4911.JPG

9. Here’s a small area with a good blend I’m looking for across the whole area
    IMG_4905.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  10. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

What are you planning on painting it with? If you use some of that roll-on bedliner it will hide everything you just pointed out, for what it's worth.

Christopher Miller likes this.
  11. I bought some truck bed liner in a can but when I put it on it wasn’t nearly as gritty or rough as I wanted it to be, just kind of a dusty surface that had been painted flat black. So yeah I’ll definitely look into this because I need a lot of grit and texture

Boryca likes this.
  12. I’m down to just get the running boards mounted
    IMG_4932.JPG

Boryca likes this.
  13. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

rusty valley likes this.
  14. Was started and almost finished with the passenger door today in terms of welding until I ran out of weld, I’ll have to get more tomorrow. Here’s that in pictures
    IMG_4946.JPG IMG_4948.JPG IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4955.JPG IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4960.JPG IMG_4961.JPG IMG_4950.JPG

And the most important was to make sure my lines were good and I think i did pretty well

IMG_4963.JPG IMG_4964.JPG

Attached Files:

15. IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5009.JPG

Thought I was going to wait for the hood pieces but I decided to get started on them a little bit, they’re pitted which sucks but nothing I can’t fix

rusty valley likes this.
  16. IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5016.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5019.JPG

Here’s the passenger door. Primed the door but will go over with some more fine sandpaper to workout the little imperfections. The corner I welded in looks decent. Not perfect but solid and that’s all that really matters. Solid and not noticeable. The grill is completely done as well. I’ll wrap up this door then take the panels all apart for painting

rusty valley likes this.
  17. IMG_5037.JPG

Really glad I’m going back over this. I was close but not content. I still have much more sanding after the etching primer I’ll apply to the whole truck but this sets me up well for that

18. Mart

Mart

Good progress being made, Christopher.

19. Thank you! Really trying to get this wrapped up and painted before the cold season comes

20. Had to make some custom hinge brackets for the windshield today. It hadn’t worked like it needed to and created too much tension on the headboard. Way better now. Also look at my new welding tool! Finally bought some and I loved using them
    IMG_5056.JPG IMG_5054.JPG

Little plans I have is to....

-Clean up the drivers door, it was done but has gotten banged up since it’s been months since I did the work to it. I had to modify it with welding so I’m taking a big step back and will have to re-evaluate it and it’ll be good

-Put the passenger hinges in the cab

-Get the running boards wrapped up, they’re almost done but debating whether to keep what I have or use some new ones that I’ll be getting soon

-finish a small patch of body work on the passenger fender (noticed that today)

It seems like a lot but it’s really not, some 30 minute jobs in exception to the drivers door.

First I’ll undercoat what needs it, prime everything, da sand with 220, prime again, da sand 220, wet sand, scuff pad then

Final paint!

21. Door hinges are all on and wow I think the gaps were really well on the passenger door. Little extra gap at the bottom but no more than 1/8 extra. All the seams line up and looks good
    IMG_5070.JPG IMG_5066.JPG IMG_5069.JPG IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5067.JPG

rusty valley likes this.
  22. [​IMG]

simplestone likes this.
  23. Got the hinge replaced and it’s way more solid than before. Glad I did that 62387236268__EA2A794B-8ED0-49B2-B265-A8650CD32A88.JPG 62387224481__0F0D2D15-CCCC-4C9F-80B6-A2490CDF0333.JPG 62387223497__F5E40E79-2238-4D0D-BCD4-21D0D99EC370.JPG

24. Okay, big issue. Noticed my rear wheels do not turn in the same direction when in gear... what might be a mistake I made?? I had the transmission out at one point and I just put the drivers side axle back in.

25. Mart

Mart

Unless I've misunderstood, that is correct. It's the action of the differential. Both wheels jacked, up, driveshaft not turning, (In gear), turn one rear wheel forwards and the other one will go backwards.
    Mart.

26. Okay awesome! I had talked with my dad after and he said the same. Seems quite odd and I’ll want to research how that works but thank you very much!!

27. Mart

Mart

Have a look at this. It explains it pretty well.

28. Just thought I’d let you all know I finally had a first big moment in terms of injury related to the truck. Chipped my tooth and it really sucks, Rachet slipped and busted my lip too

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Boryca likes this.
  29. I’m all good but thought I’d let you all know lol

30. On top of a chipped tooth I got all this painted today. The running boards I painted in full with POR to really protect them and give it some strength to where people will step on them. I painted under the fenders as well with the rust protectant

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

rusty valley likes this.