Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Rare Custom: Fred's '42 Ford Convertible

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Rare Custom: Fred's '42 Ford Convertible

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Why is it that some of my favorts seem to be some of the rarest models produced. I have alway enjoyed the grill the 1942 ford wears as a badge of pride. The convertible is the model I would have had. I remember my dad bringing home a 1946 Merc convertible he had purchased recently with a full house flathead. Memories.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. if that grille had been put on the '46-'47 trucks they might be a bit more popular now.....

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I wonder what the story is behind the '41 back? Wouldn't it be essentially the same as the '42? Maybe it was hit hard in the back at some point prior?

5. sololobo

sololobo

I had a 42 Ford, we purchased it from the AirPort management at the Grand Island, Ne. airport. The Ford was left over from WW Two days when the base was a bomber storage facility as many Ne. airports were. It was a tu-door sedan, O. D. paint even on the chrome. I put a 48 front end on it and discarded the 42 front for scrap. What a sad story, if I had left it all O.G., it would be a treasure now. Young and foolish! This ragtop is stunning.

kidcampbell71 and craig b blue like this.
  6. I'm guessing the rear clip was replaced after an accident - the back end of a '42 is the same as a '41 or vice-versa

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My Dad and Mom had a 42 convertible, In Calif in the 40's. It was real pale yellow or whatever that color was. :D

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

The '42s have such a pretty grille. Also would love to see a '42 Desoto with hideaway headlights..

Dangerousdan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. HarveyWallbanger

HarveyWallbanger

The 1941 rear clip is a one year only design, with no quarter window. 1942-48 had a small quarter window that doesn't lend itself as well to a Carson top. This is why the '41 is the favored early custom, in my opinion.

10. I agree with Harvey.

Mick

RICH B likes this.
  11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I noticed there's no parking lights ?
    I wish my '42 looked that good. My '42 2 door has '41 rear fenders. I suspect the factory was using up some of their parts inventory before the Feb. 10th order to shut down civilian car production. Maybe a previous owner just needed new fenders.. Did you know that the first post war ('46) cars came with 2x6 wood bumpers? Certain metals, such as chrome in this case, were in extremely short supply due to the war demands. When you bought a new '46 when they first became available the dealer would put you on a list. As bumpers came in they would notify you and you would go in and get your pretty chrome bumpers installed. Ford quickly got that taken care of.

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Good catch, I didn't think about the '42 having back windows like a '46-48. Although if you are building a Carson top anyway, I'm not sure why you couldn't just put the back windows down and go over it. Maybe it would be more obvious seeing the cars in person.

Outback likes this.
  13. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

That 1942 De Soto was a beautiful car. Yea! that would have been a looker. My $0.02

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.