Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Blue Balls- My grandfather's 51 Ford 4 Door

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mopar Tony, May 3, 2020.

1. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I am going to take a short break from my 52 Plymouth build to get get my grandfather's car back on the road. It will be a long build as I will continue to drive it as I am building it. My grandfather left me this car when he passed away. It was the last car we ever worked on together and I'm glad to have it to remember him. My grandfather was basically my father and he is the one who got me into cars in the first place. Growing up he would take us to cruises and car shows in his 56 Ford Crown Victoria. It was a pretty awesome thing to experience as a child gear head. Anyway his first car in 1958 was a 51 Ford that he customized the best a high school student could. He bought it from a iron worker and the paint was stained black from coal smoke. He repainted it two toned blue and white. Despite being a 4 door he added Crestline chrome to improve the look. He added the grille guard, lowered the back, added a visor, and a set of skirts. Years later when I was a teenager he wanted to remake his first car and he bought this 51 Ford 4 door. We got it running together and cruised it all the time. The plan was to customize it like the car he had as a teenager but sadly he past before it got that far. We had gathered the Crestline trim, visor, skirts, etc but never had the time to really start on it. The last time I drove it I took his ashes to the cemetery for his last ride. I parked it because I couldn't stand to look at it as it made me so sad. I know that it is a crappy excuse, but it is the truth. However recently I decided I was going to give it to my son who is seven and he loves it. It has made me look forward to getting it going as we work on it together. So I am rebuilding the brakes, changing master cylinder, and a new radiator. Before long it should be back on the road for us to enjoy as a family. I will then continue to customize it as we drive it doing one thing at a time. Eventually getting it like my grandfather always wanted. Here are a couple pictures of Old Blue and a black and white photo of my grandfather's first car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

My son telling me to get to work.

Attached Files:

3. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Hell ya! My grandad was my hero too. He loved old cars and he always encouraged me, told me how proud he was of me, and just loved on me every single time we saw each other. Great story and great car. Im watching.

4. Great story and father and son project.
    you can't do anything that would pay more homage to your Gpaw than this project. Go for it

5. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Make him proud however long it takes.He gave you the best gift anyone could hope for,no not the car although that will always be a great memory of him, but what he instilled in you as respect for your past time with him is priceless.I will be following along.

Stogy, MO54Frank, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  6. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Thank you everyone for the kind words. My son and I worked on it again today and got a little more done.

Attached Files:

7. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Ended up getting to go back out to the shop and got one rear done.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Radiator came in the mail today

Attached Files:

Stogy, Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  9. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well that was a royal bitch to get out. Now I gotta get the other back in.

Attached Files:

10. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

That is a excellent story. I can understand how it made you sad to look at the car then, But now you and your son can have many good times thanks to your Grandpa. Doesn't get any better than that!

11. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Great way to get the young ones involved in the hobby.

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

wow ford brakes were a whole lot better in 51 compared to the brakes on my 53 dodge

Stogy, Mopar Tony and loudbang like this.
  13. Looks like a great car and a great story to go with it, and very cool that your son is working on it with you. I hope moving forward you'll feel happy and proud working on that car together and thinking about your grandfather. Yep, sad that he's gone, but now you get to carry good memories and pass along some of the things he started.

14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My uncle had a 51 Ford 4 door when I was a little kid that my older cousin put dual glass packs on. That Ford caused me to have a life long(so far) addiction to loud pipes.
    I think it's great you are keeping your Grandpa's memory alive and passing it on to your son.

Stogy, Okie Pete and Mopar Tony like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Looks like you taught him to use the BFH.......always a good skill to learn.

16. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well got all the brakes done and took it out and washed the dirt off it. Took it for it's first drive in years and it ran good. I did have a leak develop in the left water pump so I ordered new ones. Also the brakes are still a little weak so I'llbe bleeding them again. However it was successful and runs and drives. My kiddos got their first ride in old Blue.

Attached Files:

17. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Kiddos were happy and so was I.

Attached Files:

18. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Got the old Ford washed and caps and skirts put on.

Attached Files:

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Exactly . And the returns you will get doing it with your son .

20. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I rebuilt old blue's carburetor this morning. It was leaking gas so it needed to be done.. So many pieces for a little tiny two barrel. Runs a ton better now.

Attached Files:

21. Nothing better than cars that provide memories. Glad you have it back out and running.

Stogy, Mopar Tony, MO54Frank and 2 others like this.
  22. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Thank you, we are excited to have it out and about again.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Wow, very cool that you have your grandfather's '51 Ford, and that you worked on it together.

osage orange, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I might not choose to duplicate the bug screen on the front of the original. lol but the rest would be very cool ! Grampa would be proud. Larry

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  25. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well today was a ruff day. Today is the 10 year anniversary of my grandfather's passing. I took the day off work so I could drive old blue out and pay my respects. It wasn't easy to do as I sobbed like a big fat baby but it is what it is. Old Blue didn't care much for the slow driving and got hot. The cemetery is in the country on a dead end gravel road and I went super slow to not cover the car in dust, Old Blue didn't like that at all. But I paid my respects and got back home without big issues. Love you grandpa and I miss you! 20210920_111326.jpg 20210920_111326.jpg 20210920_112047.jpg 20210920_112925.jpg

Attached Files:

26. Torchie

Torchie

You are keeping his spirit alive!
    Torchie

Mopar Tony and Stogy like this.