Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 Dogde Pickup Jobrated

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Nikomat, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Nikomat

Nikomat

Hi,

pretty interesting forum here :)
    I´m not 100% sure, if my thread fits in here .. just want to give it a try.

I´m looking for an option to throw a power steering set into my Dodge pickup.

So far I tried to find any kit or set that is already existing to make that happen.

Do any of you have an idea or suggestion where I could look for the needed parts?

It should be possible, because I have seen projects like that online – but so far I did not get a response from the people who did that.

I´m really looking forward to a short feedback here since I´m kind of stuck at the moment.

Thanks a lot in advance. c3.jpg

2. studebaker46

studebaker46

nice truck years ago guys use to use mid 70s 4wd toyota boxes i know they were used on f100 and chevies but they may getting hard to find. search dodge truck forums also Tom

3. Nikomat

Nikomat

Hi Tom,
    thanks a lot for your feedback - highly appreciated.
    I start to realize that there might not be the perfect "out-of-the-box" solution for this task.
    I´m not afraid about figuring out a diy-solution .. but if it´s not necessary to reinvent the wheel here, that would help a lot :)
    I will start looking for these boxes you mentioned.
    Thanks again

4. I used a gm steering box and tilt column out of a van. The box is a very near bolt on. IMG_0377.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. Nikomat

Nikomat

Hi 57 Fargo,
    thanks for your reply - that´s a nice solution right there.
    Do you have any further documentation of that work (like picture for example)?
    How did you attach the pump to the belt-system (the hydraulic system is belt driven, right)?
    Anything else worth to mention with that solution?
    Thanks a lot.

6. It just a stock pump on a 360 dodge engine. IMG_0379.JPG

I don’t have great pictures, I did this almost 30 years ago so it’s a little fuzzy!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. KenC

KenC

I had planned to use the previously mentioned Toyota gear. bought one about 12-13 years ago and put it on the shelf. Looked to be the neatest available setup. Really small and compact. But, decided against power steering as I decided to stay with the six and more traditional.

So, my Toyota gear is available if someone is in need, drop me a PM.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just a small point but your era of truck is known as Pilot House as the Job Rated were from '39-47.@

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  9. KenC

KenC

Well,I think the Job Rated was revived in '54. 48?-53 B series where Pilot House, 54-56 C series were Job Rated. At least that is what it says on my '56. The same cab continued through '60, with different front sheet metal, mostly hood changes.

10. Nikomat

Nikomat

For some reason your link is not working on my cellphone. Any chance to provide a permit or option to view your hardware change?
    Thanks in advance

11. evintho

evintho

Check your 'conversations' box. I sent you a PM.

12. Paulz

Paulz

My 54 was Job Rated, right on the fenders.

13. ochamsrasor

ochamsrasor
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put electric steering in mine. No pump, no pulleys, no belts, no hoses and most of all no leaks.

$75.00 at u pull.

gregsfiftyfour likes this.
  14. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

So what vehicle did that electric steering come out of and do you have any pictures as I am thinking of putting same in my coupe

15. Nikomat

Nikomat

Hello,

it´s a bit off-topic .. but still the same vehicle:
    Can anyone provide a source where to get values for track + camber adjusting?
    I just replaced the kingpins from my front axle .. and now I need to re-adjust the front suspension / drivetrain.
    Would be nice to find some detailed values / numbers how to adjust this.

Additional question:
    Aynone ever had an issue with the front leaf spring? Especially looking at the shackle kit that underneath the cabin -- looks like my leaf spring kind of hopped off the center from the shackle kit that is installed.
    It still hangs in there of course - but has moved to the right (off center).
    Now I´m wondering if I need to replace the whole shackle kit or if it would be enough to bring it back to center.

Any help more than appriacted :)

16. KenC

KenC

Camber isn't adjustable, other than bending the axle if needed. Not sure what the track question refers to, maybe tow-in? If so, my reference book says 3/16". Caster is adjusted by tapered shims between axle and spring. I think the spec is 3-4deg but that can vary to suit your tires and taste in handling as it won't cause tire wear.

I'll run more since it will have power steering when done.

17. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

18. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Do you have photos of the front leaf spring problem? Does that year truck use the “c” shaped shackles?