Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 41 Plymouth Coupe Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadfoot1000, Sep 16, 2020.

1. leadfoot1000

leadfoot1000

I located a car for sale and paid for a professional inspection because it’s too far away from me. Here are the results of the paint thickness meter, the numbers represent mils (thousandths of an inch) of thickness. Note the infinity readings. What do you guys think.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I would be more concerned with rust in the floors, trunk, frame, door bottoms and the area between the running boards and rockers. I would also be concerned that all of the hard to find parts are present. When I bought mine, it had some rust but I knew I could repair it. It also had every badge, grill piece, etc on it. I didn't have to find many parts. As you know, there are darn few repro parts available for these cars.

What is your intention? Are you buying this to "build" or just drive "as is" and piddle with it.

3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Ive got a 40 Club Coupe (jump seats) and a 40 Business Coupe. Both have the same roofline and rear/back side windows. There are internal sheetmetal differences, obviously.
    The 4 passenger coupe rear seat bottoms are much lower than the front seat bottom, so the rear passenger's heads can clear the roofline.
    [​IMG]

I have seen the 46 manual showing the post war Club Coupe, which DOES have a different roofline.
    [​IMG]

I'd also be more concerned with rust in the structure (rockers, body mounts, bottom few inches of the entire body) than a dent, provided it was not a hack repair. I would hope that the gentleman who you contracted provided an educated summary of the raw data shown.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    abe lugo likes this.
  4. leadfoot1000

leadfoot1000

I agree, I asked the inspector to spend the bulk of his time looking for rust/cancer on body and frame. He didn’t really report on the rockers because they are hidden behind the running boards. The floor pans look good from below, but he didn’t check on the inside due to the full size rubber mat tucked under the sill plates.
    I plan to drive the car some, tinker with it, lower it, slowly fix it up, and maybe someday build it. My 54 Chevy PU is currently disassembled and I will not be disassembling any more cars until the truck is finished. Thanks

rockable likes this.
  5. leadfoot1000

leadfoot1000

I’ve determined the same regarding the roof lines, in 40/41 there is only one roofline for the coupes. I wanted to be sure before I buy one so there are no regrets.
    I’m not too concerned with a little bodywork either, I was concerned with thick filler at the bottom of panels used to fill cancer. I did receive a report/explanation of the inspection findings, but some of the most important items to check were not checked (rockers, body mounts etc) because the car was not put on a rack or jacked up for a thorough inspection underneath. I cannot view the car because it is 2,700 miles away. I’m going to wait and find a more solid car that is closer to home so I can inspect it myself. Thanks