Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. If you hadn't already seen what goes into building a Gerstner machinist's chest, take a few minutes to relax and enjoy this. :cool:

2. Welshmtnhotrodshop

Welshmtnhotrodshop

I recently purchased this Vintage Williams "Super Chest" from a local classified ad...I haven't been able to get any info on approx year and haven't seen another like it...does anybody have info or a year on this box? Also it has a cool looking logo Painted or screen printed on the box...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Okie Pete, 41 GMC K-18, enloe and 4 others like this.
  3. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

4. I'd not heard of this brand name either but a quick search turned up some leads for you. You might try searching as "JH Williams". The brand seems to be tied in to Snap-On Tools but they seem to be more of an industrial tool supplier rather than automotive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313020314001

https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/cat-20-1-59/tool-box.htm

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0&_nkw=vintage+jh+williams+tools&_sacat=33089

And you're right . . . That is a very cool chest! :cool:

5. There were also 9/32nds drive tools made expressly for the military. I found this out when I bought some stuff from an estate sale of a retired Air Force mechanic. In the stuff was what I thought was a 1/4 inch drive Snap-On ratchet and several other pieces. Awhile later when I tried to use it with a 1/4 inch drive set the sockets wouldn't fit on it. That is when I found out about 9/32nds drive.

6. marsurfboards

marsurfboards

7. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

I found this in an antique shop several years ago. It's in the 1959 Craftsman tool catalog. 20160522_100327-1.jpeg Screenshot_2016-06-19-23-28-43-1.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. marsurfboards

marsurfboards

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG
    snap-on KR 278

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. marsurfboards

marsurfboards

Attached Files:

WildWorkz, Okie Pete and Lepus like this.
  10. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I picked up this old wooden military box at an auction last year. It has an itemized table of contents, with little numbered brass tags next to the spots where each tool belonged.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. 1C6FACA3-C782-41F8-BA42-091CD2BF9A84.jpeg AF63C578-A8BC-49BC-8C97-1D1658F4ED1E.jpeg 0EAD8388-B4A7-4C65-AAB0-BFA8CE71D97D.jpeg C7FA0910-3916-44A4-934C-F6A7F9532B56.jpeg

Just picked up this neat little tool box at an auction. Nice blue hammertone paint (seems a little more blue than the Craftsman grey), single drawer, drop down front. No name on it anywhere. Does anyone recognize this toolbox? What is the proper name for a toolbox with the dropdown front/lid? Not really a machinist box, so what do you call it?

Okie Pete, drdave and loudbang like this.
  12. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Not a tool box, but I picked up a pair of vintage work benches. I worked off of benches like these at a Cadillac dealership way back when.
    There is an air hose under the bench top an a parts washer bucket inside

IMG_7965.JPEG IMG_7966.JPEG IMG_7968.JPEG

13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool!

loudbang likes this.
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my vintage Williams tool catalog, I was able to find this tool chest and price page. My catalog was printed during the war years, so your particular super chest was probably manufactured after the printing of my catalog. But this is as close as I could find to your tool chest. I thought it would be interesting for you to see what could be had for the prices as listed, back in the days when this catalog was published.

williams 1.JPG williams 2.JPG IMG_3708 (2).JPG IMG_3708 (3).JPG IMG_3709 (2).JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  15. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Worked in a Machine Shop in the 70's that had a contract to make specialized Hex Drive Sockets for JH Williams. Some were 6" across the flats. Was told they were used on the oil rigs and in ship building. The Owner Clarence Miller would give the JH Williams guy a bottle of cheer at Christmas. One of the coolest shops I ever worked!

16. I know they are not really old but I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. I have a bunch if 90's craftsman tool boxes that I use in my shop building HAMB friendly vehicles. I am trying to find replacement locks to key them all the same. 20200927_192710.jpg 20200927_200521.jpg

Okie Pete and loudbang like this.
  17. If a local locksmith can't help you, there's always McMaster-Carr. What you're looking for are called "keyed-alike" locks.

https://www.mcmaster.com/tool-box-locks/keying~keyed-alike/

1940Willys and loudbang like this.
  18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I would imagine that you could buy the locksets through Craftsman. Or you might take a look at the lockset and then do a google search, most toolbox locksets are fairly standard.

I have all my Snap-On boxes keyed alike, sure makes life a lot easier.

Bobby

loudbang and ironfly28 like this.
  19. RollinBollin

RollinBollin

Snap On KRA500 series. Found this in Pittsburgh in really rough condition. Have cleaned and straightened the slides and repainted the cabinet and drawers, along with adding the faux wood contact paper. Rolled the Rust-Oleum, which actually came out glass-smooth on the black, but is rough on the red. The red was mixed using Allis Chalmers Orange with Safety Red to match the color of the box that was under the original contact paper.

IMG_3738.jpg IMG_3739.jpg IMG_3740.jpg IMG_3760.jpg IMG_3761.jpg IMG_3762.jpg

Okie Pete, WildWorkz, dumprat and 7 others like this.
  20. Wsw7791

Wsw7791

IMG_20210123_125751118.jpg

Brand new here.
    I am sitting through a shop I recently bought, and four generations of my own stuff.
    Got to love the old vintage tool chests and boxes
    The Oshkosh trunk is an old military one from the 20s. It is an awesome condition. Still has the cork seal intact.
    The crackle finish Craftsman has felt-lined drawers, this one came from my grandfather.
    The silver and red Craftsman bottom chest I think is 60s.
    The red and gray Montgomery Ward powr Kraft I think is early 70s
    The solid red top chest has no name plate and no markings anywhere. I could use some help on this one.
    Last but not least is an old wood tool box called no 500 gentleman's work box. Really neat old small box but I have no idea when it's from and can't seem to find any information on them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    enloe, Okie Pete, Lepus and 7 others like this.
  21. JohnPendergrass

JohnPendergrass

Hey guys..new to this group. I Just purchased a plomb rolling tool cabinet and was wanting to know information on its age....any information would help. the top chest is red,has 4 drawer and a top storage.it locks up by closing and latching top and bottom panel with padlock option. the bottom is red has 2 drawers, a storage underneath and closes by door with key to lock.it also has casters on it that protrude outward i guess for stability..each piece weighs a ton!! very heavy duty. all drawers open and close flawlessly.. bought from a 73 year old retired mechanic,farmer that inherited this tool chest from his grandfather. the tool cabinet also had some old tools and some old gardner industrial air tools....air ratchet,air chisel as well as a grinder/buffer.... paid $150 for everything..any information would be greatly appreciated..I will try to post some pictures of the entire setup.1 from the man's garage with it open and the other 1 at my house just now closed when I got home with it. thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

22. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

Sweet box! Plomb top chests are not easy to find. I could be wrong but I think it is a model 9999 and I would guess it is late 30’s. They switched from square to round corners at some point but I’m not exactly sure when. I don’t know what the bottom is but I’m almost certain it’s not Plomb. You should check out the vintage section on the garagejournal forum. There are some real experts there that would probably know.

23. JohnPendergrass

JohnPendergrass

Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated!! all I know is what the old gentleman told me and now what you've said. I don't see any markings at all on the bottom section but its as heavy duty as the top section which is marked.. anyways thanks for the information

24. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

When was that Williams catalog published?

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would imagine my catalog was published during the WW 2 years, this particular Williams catalog doesn't list its publication date sad to say.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 4MADMAN

4MADMAN

28. 4MADMAN

4MADMAN

Rusty 'ol Mac Side Box 20210407_163621_HDR.jpg 20210407_163710_HDR.jpg

Okie Pete, enloe, 35desoto and 3 others like this.
  29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I love the Glendale Speed Shop decal.

loudbang likes this.