Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need a vintage radiator repair shop in Los Angeles area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Sep 22, 2020.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I used to go to Rick's Radiator in Azusa but just found out they closed. Who knows how to repair and build radiators in the LA area?

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I use Brassworks in Paso Robles to do my vintage stuff. They are currently building a new core for my Firestone heater.
    They're also an alliance vender here on the HAMB.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fontana Radiator
    17635 Arrow Blvd.
    Fontana 92335
    833-822-8737
    I've had them repair several flathead radiators as well as a heater core recore for my '54 Ranch Wagon. Quality work and reasonable prices. The recore for the heater was more than an off shore repop but I figured original was better than off shore and its always best to support the local guy. IMO.

oldpl8s and Unique Rustorations like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Crandall Radiator in Lawndale was good but it has been 30 years since I was there last, (310) 676-2936. Be sure to post where you went and how it came out.

Charlie Stephens

FOLLOWUP - CHECKED THEM OUT AND THEY ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS, SORRY.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Crandall's gone, It a Mini Cooper shop now....

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Man this thread is a bummer. Good places used to be everywhere. Reminds me of my mortality...lol. I remember in the early 80s an older guy who ran a small radiator shop out of a bay in a body shop within 3 blocks of my house. He'd sit on a stool and could fix anything you brought in, while smoking a cigarette. Charged like $15. When it was bad, he'd say, im going to have to eliminate this tube...which in practice had no effect on anything. Fast forward to about 10-15 years ago, I had a radiator that had been bumped and had a small leak. I took it to a few local "radiator" shops. They'd look at it and say...you need a new radiator. Nobody I was running into knew how to fix a radiator..or wanted to.. Impossible! Exasperated, I asked Groucho if he knew of any old school radiator shops...he told me about Sun Valley Radiator...right off the 5 freeway. Since then I've been there countless times, the owner will stop what he is doing and help me out. He has fixed stuff for me while I wait, dunk it in the tank and pressure check it for very reasonable cost. Bordering on cheap. I love that place...

8. It is a sad state of affairs when you can't find a good, old radiator shop anymore. Further south if needed Garys Radiator in Fullerton, used him a few times and so far so good.