Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Switching From A Wood Structure To A Steel Structure In A Model A Ford Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Sep 23, 2020.

1. I'm finally getting to a point where I can start assembling my Model A Coupe from parts collected to an actual car. I have enough to build a five window coupe. My problem is that its a 1928-29. The parts I have are mostly Sports Coupe/Special Coupe items.

I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here. I know some of you guys have replaced the wood supports in your coupes to metal tube framing for rigidity. If I were restoring a stock car, I'd use a wood support kit. I'm not doing that. I want something that will last as long as I do.

If you have pictures of your metal structures with which you've replaced the wood, I'd love to see them.

loudbang and gnichols like this.
  2. Not a Model A but you get the idea. Chevys have a LOT of wood... image.jpeg

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

IMG_9192.JPG IMG_9235.JPG IMG_9198.JPG IMG_9129.JPG

It’s not an A but here’s what I’m doing for my deuce Tudor. It’s just 18 gauge formed on my brake, shrinker/stretcher, and dimple dies.

I had the same thought. I could of bought the full wood kit but I wanted a different look. I’m not running any interior and all of this will be exposed. Plus I didn’t feel like dropping the extra $1000 or so in the full kit. I did keep the roof wood for a contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kadillackid, nochop, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  4. Wow! You guys have talent!

cactus1, loudbang and Mat Thrasher like this.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

View attachment 4824611 DDE40AF3-29CC-4613-AD2C-B01402B5B87E.jpeg

I did a steel roof on my ‘29 CCPU with a 6-1/2” stretch. Redid it in wood. Some steel, but a lot of repro wood pieces and some custom white oak pieces I fabricated 01EE54B0-1467-49CC-89DB-79983BFCD636.jpeg DDE40AF3-29CC-4613-AD2C-B01402B5B87E.jpeg

kadillackid, cactus1, Packrat and 2 others like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

You could check that old Chevy site somewhere on here - something to do with termites. That has a lot of information about replacing wood.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

"Termites and Bowties"

8. From that page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mat Thrasher, TFoch and cactus1 like this.
  9. Looks familiar ;)

cactus1 and Scotch Buzzard King like this.