Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A trunk lid question...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flynbrian48, Sep 23, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The 'glass '29/'29 Model A roadster body I acquired, having bounced around through several owners before me, ended up with what I think is a trunk lid from a "Shay" roadster. It LOOKS like a Model A trunk lid, but it doesn't fit the body in any way. It's too short, the curve is wrong, and the inner panel is smooth and doesn't fit the (stock appearing) drain channel. If it were close, I'd cut it apart and make it, fit, IMG_1582.JPG but it's WAY wrong.

Are '28-'31 deck lids interchangeable? I see several steel replacements that are advertised for all Model A's, and some in both 'glass and steel that are indicated to fit '30-'31's. Right now Speedway has a 'glass one in their "scratch and dent", "garage sale" listing for a very attractive price, but before I hit the order button I'd like to know it fits. On the other hand, it couldn't fit any worse than the one I have...

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

I was going to get a louvered panel, and skin it over the frame.

30-31 is different than 28-29

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The stock '28 and '31 are the same size... the inside latch holes may be different...
    Careful with glass lids... bought one stored in an attic, 100* plus up there...
    6 months later I sat it on the car... it had sat on all 4 corners and had sagged almost an inch...
    I set a rack upside down that could support the corners and let it sag back to stock...
    draped black plastic over the rack, sat it in the sun... not enough heat so I set some weight on it and set my torches to a low pressure flame and waved it back and forth along the center area never stopping in one place...
    took awhile but I got it back to "close enough" … I personally will not buy another glass deck for myself.
    I hope you get a freshly built one or one that was stored properly... my $0.02
    GO Flyn' GO !

kidcampbell71 and flynbrian48 like this.
  4. bubba55

bubba55

Me though they were all the same except the handle

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

flynbrian48 likes this.

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I did consider setting it out in the sun on blocks at the corners an setting a bag of sand on it. It’d still be too short though...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. pitman

pitman

Rumble or Trunk? Since yours is a trunk, I didn't recall if the inner panel attachment points, and the handle placement varied between them.

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

I would just buy the One from Speedway, fiber glass is easy to doctor up. I asked all the same questions a while back and never got a definitive answer. Sacto vintage Ford sold me a steel one, said that they are the same, we’ll see.
    Too bad you’re so far away I have a nice ‘glass one I don’t need.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app