Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Norm Beechey and his RHD four door Chevy racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DDDenny, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Dan Gurney thread triggered me into starting this thread.
    Many on this side of the pond may not know the name (or the car) but from what I've read Norms' racing career is legendary and his RHD 409/4speed 62 Impala four door gave his Australian circuit racing competitors reason to step up their game in the early 60's.
    Any of our Aussie pals have any first hand stories about Norm Beechey?

upload_2020-9-22_21-10-14.png
    upload_2020-9-22_21-12-21.png

Easier for me to let history tell the story.
    From the Chevy Talk site.
    This is an old thread, but last weekend, I took my Impala on a 1000 mile round trip to Phillip Island raceway in Victoria Australia to watch the historic racing (circuit racing - not drag racing), and finally met a hero of mine and champion of Australian racing - Stormin' Norm Beechey. Famous for his 409 sport sedan that he used to beat the Jags in 1962-63. He even had the very car (now street registered and RHD - but check the dash!!!) at the track, understandably I took dozens of photos.
    Continues here:
    https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/294397/tp/2/

Another good read about Norm.
    upload_2020-9-22_21-30-6.png

They called him Stormin' Norman but maybe Australian touring car legend Norm Beechey should have been dubbed Mr Muscle, because the tin-top king really kicked off the Aussie muscle car boom when he imported his famous 1962 Chevrolet Impala 409.
    Continues here:
    https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1302/chevrolet-impala-409-norm-beechey

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

loudbang likes this.
  3. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hoping to keep this within the HAMB friendly timeframe, 1965 and earlier.

5. rooman

rooman

I watched Norm race from his six cylinder Holden days through the Mustang and then the Nova. I also saw plenty of post H.A.M.B. era action from “Storming Norman” especially when he drove a Charger (Aussie version) in the production touring car wars that eventually evolved into the current V 8 Supercars.

Roo

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sure would like to see the inside of that Traco 327 in Norms' Nova!

7. Norm :cool: was well known for the footpeg/footrest he had on his dashboards in his race cars. He,s a big bloke and the footpeg gave him some support on tight corners.

Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  8. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

here you go, check the 7 minute mark with Norm changing gears in his EH Holden (1964) 300HP 6 cylinder Holden 6, 3 on the tree.

Lil32, stillrunners and 34 GAZ like this.
  9. Norm was a legend.

I still remember Neptune stations when I drive around town. Long gone, but all those bicycle shops, swimming pool supplies etc. stores will always be Neptune stations to me.

Lil32 and 34 GAZ like this.
  10. inthweedz

inthweedz

Not sure of the year 68???
    Here's a pic of Norm's Nova in the pits after hitting the fence at ''Bay Park Raceway'' Tauranga, New Zealand.. The crew are sorting out the RH damage between races.. Black and white 2 005.JPG

11. hudson48

hudson48

An Aussie racing superstar. I remember seeing him in the Galaxie at Lowood circuit in SE Qld when I was about 18yo.

Lil32 likes this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

That 1st picture with the Peter's Ice Cream billboard sure doesn't look RHD to me, he seems to be sitting pretty far to the left to me. Maybe its a different car in that picture? Gene

13. He raced the car as the factory built it LHD but to register it the car had to be converted to RHD to satisfy our old road rules.

14. Attached is a link to a youtube video that records the successful year of 1970 when Norm won the Australian Touring Car Championship in his locally built Holden Monaro powered by a 350 Chev. This was the last car he raced before retirement.

15. A27CEDC0-DC65-4067-976B-090401C19395.jpeg

you Aussies have balls the size of your Fosters beer cans !!!

great read and an amazing bit of history, thanks for sharing.

Hnstray likes this.