Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electrical motor to produce vacuum...is there such thing?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Sep 22, 2020.

1. As I work on my '30 Ford Roadster, I would like to use the original windshield mounted vacuum powered wiper motor and was wondering if there is such thing as an electrical vacuum source that I can use to feed the wiper motor, instead of using the engine to do so?

I will be running a flathead 59AB motor and I will be running a a 2x2 offenhauser manifold with two 97s. Is there a a source for vacuum on such set up?

No real plans to ever use the wiper, simply looking to have it functional.

Thanks in advance.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They make them for diesel pickups to run the vacuum controlled equipment.
    Here is one example. You wouldn't have to fake it with it you would have wipers that worked as good as the vacuum motor will work . https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-904-2...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I guess it is different in LA if you never plan to take the car outside of the LA area but I have been on few road trips over the years that you didn't hit at least one good rain storm in with no where to hide from it. If you are actually going to drive the car somewhere such as to Roundup you want wipers to work or a serious supply of Rainex.

4. The 'vintage' 10" wiper blades used on these are worthless...

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What's wrong with engine vacuum? It's free and it works. You can supplement it with a special fuel pump that includes a vacuum pump, this was a common accessory back in the day and was standard equipment on some more expensive cars. Buick and Packard had a vacuum pump on the oil pump.
    You could use an electric pump if you prefer, but plumb it into the engine vacuum system. Use a one way valve and set it up so the electric pump kicks in if vacuum drops below a certain level.

6. You guys rock! Thank you for the replies

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

how about those canisters that run hideaway headlights after you shut the engine off to return ...
    they should hold enough vacuum to run your wipers... love the rain-ex !

283john and olscrounger like this.
  8. This Dorman # 904-214 unit seems like the right way to go. Might fit nicely behind the dash with some modification to the bracket.
    Anyone knows how they work? Are they direct wired and shuts off after building enough pressure or should it run with a switch and turn on/off on demand?

pump.jpg

9. redo32

redo32

'57 Chevy's with fuel injection had vacuum pumps to run their wipers. It seems the engineers thought they needed more room to remove the distributer, so they ran the smaller vacuum wiper instead of the electric. You only have two screws to remove the electric motor, but the engineers wanted to complicate things with the vacuum motor and a separate pump. Thirty years later it gave the restorers hours of entertainment discussing who was right and if their pump was mounted properly.

delray57 and olscrounger like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The first thing I did after buying my 57 BelAir in 1971 was swapping that dismal vacuum wiper motor for a wrecking yard electric unit.
    Should have been a law against fitting vacuum wipers to any cars destined for Oregon.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 57 Fuely had this setup with vacuum wipers and the trico vacuum assist pump-it worked pretty well as designed. You can barely see it bottom right

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    delray57 likes this.
  12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I don't think that vacuum pump has enough volume to run a wiper system

deathrowdave likes this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I also do not think the electric pump will run , a wiper system . They were designed to control heater and AC controls and blend doors . An electric pump with a can for storage may be a bit more help , but for sure not the answer .

olscrounger likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

90's LT1 cop cars had an electric vacuum pump for emissions. We used them for a home made crankcase evacuation system on an alcohol injected big block . Had to meter it down as it created too much vacuum and was sucking the oil out of the pan.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  15. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Most late model GM engines hold a lower engine vacuum than we are accustomed to. As I understand they have to because of the implementation of variable valve timing and displacement and such. Anyway, to keep good vacuum for the power brakes, they use a small vacuum pump that has a check valve in the line, and is plumbed into the brake booster. The newer ones that I’ve used like off a 2018 Camaro, are very quiet. They are a rotary style pump run by a 12 volt motor about the size of an electric wiper motor. I used one recently to add engine vacuum to a cammed up small block in a non H.A.M.B. friendly late sixties pickup that would develop a hard pedal if driving in stop and go traffic and repeatedly using the brakes. Summit sells a 12v vac switch that I mounted directly into an aluminum reservoir tank, (1/8”pipe thread). It closes when the engine vacuum drops below 17” vac and opens at 21”. Wired the pump up using a relay to supply power and triggering the ground side of the relay with the vacuum switch. You have to be sure to use the one way check valve that is present in the line on the donor car. I picked up a pump, pigtail, and check valve at a boneyard for $50. The switch from summit was around $60. It works great and you can’t even hear it when the engine is running. Ron

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  16. D2Denny

D2Denny

I used one of the Dorman vacuum pumps along with one of the "ball" style reservoirs to actuate the vacuum controls of a Vintage Air unit I installed in my Autocar truck. I wired it to a relay actuated by the "key on" switch. The pump runs for a few seconds to build vacuum then shuts off. Its an "on demand" pump

17. Some Jap diesels had an alternator with a vac pump direct driven from the back of the alternator. Toyota Forerunner was one. Fairly long though, might be a squeeze on the top of a multi-carb flatty.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ford Explorer power lumber uses a vacuum/ pressure pump. It's about the size of an egg and pulls lots of vacuum. Should be damn near free at a junk yard.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  19. Joe H

Joe H

20. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

21. Am I missing something? Why not retro fit electric wipers...

22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Years ago I found a six volt vacuum pump that I believe was used in a boat application. I had a '46 Ford that had stock vacuum wipers that seldom worked. I eliminated everything not connected to the wiper vacuum circuit and kept everything related only to the wiper on the new vacuum pump. I also piped it thru a vacuum canister. I can not tell you how great it worked. In fact in 1946, Ford offered a vacuum storage tank as an option, it fit in the lower front left fender.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Thank you for those replies. I will try heading to the junk yard this weekend and see if I can find some of the ones listed above.

Electrical conversion is not an option. I really like the look of the original vacuum powered wiper and I already have one that has been rebuilt and tested working. I do want it to be functional.

In a 59AB motor, anyone knows where the vacuum for the wipers was originally connected, or wipers had transitional to electrical by then?

My intake manifold has the vacuum port for the distributor but that's about it. Can I T-off that port without affecting the distributor and will the wiper motor work?

vacuum.jpg

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My question is........If you are going to this much trouble for a somewhat authentic wiper, are you using a 6 volt or a 12 volt system ? Will the system you use supply enough voltage to run an electric motor in addition to the other needs your car will have?

27. I am running a 12 volt system

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Electric. The ONLY answer.

29. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I bought this pump off of amazon.ca after playing with several commercial vacuum pumps to find out how much flow the wipers actually require to work properly. Using it on my 51 Poncho. It does the job very well - my only complaint is that it is quite loud when operating. It would need to be isolated to make it quieter - but with all the other noises in the car, plus when its raining it really isn't that big of a deal.
    Aramox Vacuum Pump, 1 Pc Dc 12 v 42 w Mini Small Oilless Vacuum Pump - 85 Kpa Flow 40 l/Min

30. I have used a belt driven vacuum pump from a Chevrolet 6.2Diesel for the last ten years on my 1952 Mercury (it rains a lot and there are a lot of steep hills in Norway)
    Vacuum reservoar is not a working solution as the windshield wipers draw a lot of air continually.

Rune from Norway

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk