Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33-34 Dodge coupes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Feb 4, 2018.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I'm looking for pictures of 33-34 Dodge coupes. Not necessarily finished projects. I can find plenty of those by doing an online search. Also looking for pictures of the rear deck lid so I know what to look for.
    I'll be bringing home a 34 soon but it's missing a few things. One of them being the deck lid.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Mines a Plymouth. You, me and everybody else is missing one. Is it a rumble seat car with a short decklid or is it a full size one. I heard Kyle Bond from the Gibbon business has a plug for a fiberglass lid. Scan0558.jpg

4. scotts52

scotts52

I don't know a whole lot yet. Here's pics of it. Not home yet though.

Edit: I'll get pics soon. I have poor service right now that's not letting me load pictures.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Stanlow,
    Got any more pics of that? Is that how it looks now? I also have a 33 and a 34 truck cab. I've found it near impossible to find a frame along with the grill and fenders. It really surprises me with Mopars being all steel that so many are missing these parts. I know Fords were the hot ticket back in the day and Chevs fell apart due to all the wood but it seems like there should be more Mopars still around.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I picked it up just before X-mas .I`m only using the body. Scan0606.jpg Scan0607.jpg Scan0559.jpg It is still sitting on the trailer at my kids place. It`s been cold. I don`t have much room at my place. I started a build thread called Soldier`s Joy A Pre 40`s Custom I`ve been looking for an affordable body for 4 or 5 years. They are out there. Parts are hoarded by Mopar guys. They have LOTS, trust me. You just have to find those people. I have a friend I found a convertible for while looking for a coupe. He has most of the parts I need to build mine.

7. scotts52

scotts52

Is that an original frame with IFS? Where exactly are you? If you're not going to use it I'd sure be interested.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That frame is a Chevy Caprice. I am in southwest Iowa. Trust me when I say there are lots of parts and pieces out there. You will find them, just ask anybody with a 33 or a 34 Mopar. I found a 34 4-dr body by a guy coming by the shop and saying he knows where an old body is in a ditch. He knew nothing about the year or make. In time, the parts will start to appear.

9. Marcia

Marcia

10. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Check near the bottom of the nearest hill as they made great sleds in the winter. No really, that is where a lot of them went. I've found a few deck lids and hoods at the bottom of good sledding hills. If it doesn't snow where you are, they may have been used to "skid" out logs from the woods.

11. scotts52

scotts52

^^^Unfortunately where I live, everything is either wheat fields or a lot of the old iron that was out there was buried back in the day in an effort to clean up or "beautify" the land. I've found very few pieces. I did find a Chevy roadster door that I sold here on the HAMB but not too much else. ^^^

I know a guy up north who's selling me a 32 Ford frame that has some Mopars but he doesn't know of any frames.
    Time to exercise my patience.

12. scotts52

scotts52

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It'll fit on a '32 Ford frame. I built a glass 32 Plymouth on a Ford frame once. Looked good.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. scotts52

scotts52

What parts interchange between Dodge and Plymouth? Body, frame, fenders, etc...

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure but I'll bet alot. Others will chime in and clarify.

I might be mistaken...heres another forum discussion on the subject

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/299602-1934-dodge-plymouth-coupe-body-differences/

Have you tried a search here?

I know I posted Plymouths so if they are not interchangeable I will pull the post.

Lastly is there a chance it is a Plymouth?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  17. raymay

raymay

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just looking at the Dodges the others are posting the trunk is distinctly different perhaps due to rumble seat however this what your posting may actually be a Plymouth. Is thi pic the car your purchasing?

19. scotts52

scotts52

Yes, that's the one I bought. I'm only going off it being Dodge because that's what I was told. The story is, I bought it from a guy who got it through a friend of his. This friend had an uncle who'd bought it new. At some point after it was abandoned, it had most things stolen off of it and overturned in a creek bed. That is where it was rescued from.

hfh and Stogy like this.
  20. scotts52

scotts52

Also, the ID tag is still affixed to the door post.

Stogy likes this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Scotts52, looking at your pic`s of your door. The front door frame is straight to the top of the door. On 34`s, the wwindshield leans back a bit. So does the top of the door frame. I`m guessing you have a 33 door and a 34 body. Mr Chevrolet in the classifieds on the HAMB has some fenders for sale, seems reasonable at $600 for the pair. Can`t tell if they are 33 or 34 by the pic`s and if they are short wheel base or long with out measuring another set. 33`s and 34`s are like rabbits, if you have two, you will end up with 5. That`s what I found out while searching for a body. It seems it is true, you have 3 already.

Stogy likes this.
  22. scotts52

scotts52

Stanlow,
    Yes, those are 33 doors. It also has 34 doors but I'm going to have to combine the two to make a decent set of doors. That or a lot of patchwork.

You're very prophetic about them multiplying. I just made a deal on another 34 1/2 ton that comes with an extra cab.

I'll have to check out those fenders you mentioned. I'm pretty much out of funds but it sure would be nice to pick up a set of steel fenders.

Stogy likes this.
  23. scotts52

scotts52

I'm not finding that add.

Edit: Found them. I was looking for Dodge. Hmm...is it just the detail at the front that makes them different than Dodge?

24. Latigo

Latigo

Peeking out of the trees just down the road. No deck lid but fairly complete. It's on a newer frame or possibly subframed. Owner has plans to get it on the road someday. image.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

P M mr Chevrolet He has adds all the time in the parts and the Misc sections of the classifieds. He is in Penn. He has other parts as well. I PM `d him and asked about a body. He directed me to a guy also in Cannonsburg. He had 2 projects and parts. I was in Ohio 2 years ago seeing my brother and went and looked. One had thin metal and the other had 3/4 of bondo in the roof. It was buy all or nothing. @Latigo, a local who lives near here bought a 1919 Dodge Roadster out of Oregon about 7 years ago. It was also a field car. He found(or I found) a cowl and a set of doors right here in town. It`s completed and on the road.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted a build thread on my coupe build here on HAMB. Look for "33 Dodge coupe". There is also a current thread where a member is building a deck lid. May be a Plymouth but he has some detailed pictures. Look at Johnny Sparkle's thread "How not to build a hot rod........"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Stogy and stanlow69 like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stanlow69 likes this.
  28. scotts52

scotts52

Fat47 and Stogy, thanks for the reference and the link. Wow! It's incredible what some people start with. It gives me hope.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Alphy

Alphy

Scott, do you have a picture of a decklid that you need? I have a really nice deck lid but I am unsure what it goes to. 20200922_150540.jpg 20200828_175623.jpg 20200828_175646.jpg 20200922_150320.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. scotts52

scotts52

exterminator likes this.