Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 PLYMOUTH special deluxe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Andres meyers, May 27, 2018.

1. Andres meyers

Andres meyers

4BF1B3A4-AA1E-4396-9376-9E89811AFE6B.jpeg I have this beautiful sedan and I ran into a issue I was trying to do a 360 swap but I don’t want to destroy the engine bay or the fire wall it was all matching numbers on the original engine and body Im asking if it’s a better idea to put in 225 slant six to keep her from getting cut up to bad .....or to just throw in the v8 and put all the money into it?

Attached Files:

chop job and jakespeed63 like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Keep the flathead. If you want more HP get a 265 out of a 53 - 54 Chrysler Windsor and hop it up. If that is not good enough put the 360 in. This has been discussed before, it can be done of you offset the engine 1 1/2 -2" to the right for steering clearance.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  3. There's something to be said for those 'numbers matching' four door six-cylinder sedans.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In the USA the 265 Chrysler Windsor flathead six was installed from at least '52 thru '54. Years ago, I installed one of those in my '51 Dodge Hardtop in place of the 230 six cylinder, and also a '53 Dodge stick Overdrive in place of the semi-automatic. Made a great driver and highway cruiser. It would fit in your Plymouth as easily. "easily' required a 2 1/2" notch in the front cross member to accommodate the extra length of the Chrysler engine. Also had to move the radiator forward in the core support. You can use your Plymouth bellhousing and trans with this swap, should you choose to go in this direction.

edit: I took the 230 from the '51 Dodge, freshened it, and installed it in my '49 Plymouth Club Coupe whose 217 was very tired. Win/win.....

I think it is 'cool' as it is a subtle swap, but really wakes up the 'ol Mopar. The extra 48 cubic inches is nothing to sneeze at in a light weight Plymouth. But, if your preference is for a V8, go for it.

Ray

Last edited: May 28, 2018

5. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

the v8 may be a easier fit then a 225 slant motor a friend just picked up a 55 Belvedere convt with a half installed 225 they had to pull the heater box off the fire wall to get it in and this wear the project stalled years ago and all 55 convt got the 259 v8 and 225 are long

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If it bothers you that bad, keep the original engine and transmission or atleast that same design.
    There is a lot of merit to this as there is just something special about a good original car. Good originals are hard to find.....poorly executed hot rods are a dime a dozen.
    Another factor is the brake system.
    Changing to a V8 or slant 6 means changing the rear axle. Otherwise you have no emergency or parking brake.
    If you change the rear axle, you might as well do something about the front brakes.
    If you are not planning on going that far, the flathead is the way to go.

7. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

There have been numerous threads here about either running a flathead or swaping to a slant six or V8.

The flatheads run ok with an overdrive and some hop up. The slant six is not a easy swap. The 273-318-360 fits well by using '70s A body exhaust manifolds, truck oil pan and offsetting the power train, as MoPar did, to get more steering clearance. A small amount of firewall massage is needed on the passenger side.

Unfortunately early MoPars don't bring big values, even a "numbers matching" example. Having said that, if the swap is more than you can handle rebuild the original engine and add a head, intake/exhaust and overdrive and it will drive like a champ.

8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Might be time to post this info about a V8 swap again. I wrote this a while back and Mr. Street Rod is no longer in business, but this is a pretty good overview of a small block MoPar swap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Mopar Tony likes this.
  9. Andres meyers

Andres meyers

Thanks everyone i had the motor taken apart due to a miss fire i had her running off her stock motor for 3 months after i got her i drove her to 2 shows before i had to put her down. do to my fuel line getting a reverse vacuum from back pressure .but i guess from everyone's knowledge here is to just rebuild her i was dead set on putting the v8 in this car. for some more ummfff and to be loud ... but i had a couple more questions the shops i asked to deck reboar and valve train wanted 6 grand for the engine to get redone...... thats why i bought the v8 for 100 bucks and rebuilt her...

10. Andres meyers

Andres meyers

Im stationed in texas right outside ft Hood and im looking for some one or a shop that wont take my legs for my car

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Fuel line reverse back pressure?
    I can't understand what that has to do with the engine. Fuel pump ....yes..... rusty gas tank....yes......vapor lock.....maybe engine condition not so much.
    The miss could be a simple tune issue.

6k.....Honestly that's the ....Get lost kid! Price. They don't want to fool with it.

Since that engine was running and driving, You probably don't need all that.
    You can.....
    Check the deck with a flat file.
    True the deck pretty well with a flat file.
    True the head with a flat file.
    Measure bore taper with a piston ring and feeler gauge.
    Grind the valves
    Seat the valves.....see Squirrels thread.....Adjusting Valves the old way.
    All I'm saying is that engine may be worth a second look. All it may need is a tune up or a good old fashioned overhaul.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Andres meyers

Andres meyers

Well I did'nt make that sound right the man i bought the car from put new spark plugs in that i later found that my points on my distributor where not adjusted right they where to close for newer spark plugs. the best part is i took off the head and my buddy broke the last bolt head off. . and i have to get it taken out when i drop it off. the worst part was the cylinder walls are scarred pretty bad and the valve seats where pretty tore up. i don't have the capabilities of doing the engine work myself other than putting it back together after the its been decked and taken care of. i was spitting oil when i started her up before i took her apart so i know my piston ring will need new pistions and such. i greatly appreciate the help.

13. Andres meyers

Andres meyers

This car is a tribute to my grandfather he's in a bad spot he taught me everything i know and this is the last thing him and i worked on. i would like to get what i can done before he passes so i can drive him around in it. the best part now is selling my newley built 5.9 motor and tranny to some one now that i have a better idea on what i should do.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Here’s another thought......you’ll have to do the ‘homework’, but think about this possibility.

The Chrysler Flathead six was widely used in various forms (cubic inch displacements) for industrial and marine applications. I have to think somebody, somewhere, has them available in rebuilt/remanufactured form, maybe on an exchange basis, maybe outright. But, in any case, if they do have them, I would think the demand has long since peaked and prices may be pretty attractive. An internet search might turn up something you can bolt in and go, using the manifolds, fuel system, ignition, etc. from your present engines

Jasper Rebuilders would be a good place to start, but I would Google generic “Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth rebuilt Flathead six engines for sale” or variations of same.

Edit:
    www.chicagoengines.com offers rebuilt engines for numerous forklift applications. Among them is a "Chrysler Industrial' 230 (same as Ply/Dodge) offered as a 'custom rebuild', meaning they rebuild your engine, for $1595......

Found that with a quick search...there are no doubt more sources and opportunities out there.

Ray

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    firstinsteele and Chappy444 like this.
  15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Millions of big Mopar flatheads were used as industrial powerplants and in Massey combines and tractors. I got one that was originally installed in an air compressor and another that drove a water pump. If you are in rural or small town Texas you may be able to find an old 265 that way.

Last 230 six I know of being rebuilt cost $3000. This was a running engine with broken pistons and pretty well shot to blazes. The owner drove her 41 Dodge to the garage, they removed the engine had it rebuilt and put it back in for that sum. If you remove the engine yourself and take it to the machine shop you should knock $500 or more off that price. If you can take the engine apart and put it back together, and only have to send the block and crank out for machine work you may be able to rebuild it for $1000 or so. Parts are cheap and available, Vintage Power Wagons sells NOS pistons $65 for a set of six. Other parts like bearings and gaskets can be ordered from your local NAPA outlet.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

My opinion would be, if the flatty is shot and you already have the 360 go ahead and put it in. The swap has been described on here if you can find the threads. You have to offset the engine, also use the trans that matches the engine and swap out the rear axle. It is not the simplest of swaps but can be done.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

www.vintagepowerwagons.com has a large supply of engine parts and very reasonable prices for both the 218 and 230 cubic inch models. Pistons, rings bearings, valves, gasket sets, etc.

Ray

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hnstray likes this.
  19. George

George

Yeah, he died some years ago.

20. George

George

find a running Pick Up or van & use it for the donor, relatively cheap way of doing this.

73RR likes this.
  21. 73RR

73RR

I might be mistaken but, given what the op has posted, it occurs to me that a v-8 swap might be over his head and just doing the R&R might be a challenge.
    There is considerably more involved in installing a v-8 than the engine mounts...

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm pretty sure you are right but in the past whenever I suggested such a thing I got shot down. On this site it seems actually having a car on the road and having fun with it, comes second to big dreams and a car on blocks in the driveway.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This may be one of those lessons.:(
    Mr. Meyers, Like many folks Military or not, you have limited time, space and money. This makes a lower priced car like a 50 Plymouth 4 door desirable as a fun driver. It's a cheap date.
    Once you get into V8 modifications or stock restoration this " cheap date" turns into full blown matrimony. For this" marriage" to work you really really have to love this car above all others.
    If this is not your dream car...." the one"..... sell it!
    Sell it now at a loss!

Then find " that" car or truck.

24. Tomaapilot

Tomaapilot
    from Denton, TX

25. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the car because of its attachment to your grandfather. I'd stay with a six. I'm glad I did so with my '57 GMC 100. I installed a 292 and sold the 270. I've been very happy with my decision.