Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Third generation hotrodder gets his first project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 21, 2020.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Today my 19 year old son Brooks got his first project, a 63 Rambler 550 2 door post. Plans are a 68-327 that is sitting in the corner of my shop and a turbo 350, 8” ford rear end that his papa’s is going to donate.
    Brook was my challenging child and lives with his mom full time, we are both hopeful this will be a good father son bonding experience to get us back to a great father son relationship. I can only hope it will.
    I have told Brooks that he needs to join the Hamb so he can be exposed to all the knowledge and generosity of the people on here and to also start build thread. 99B9D132-8719-4A1B-BC2A-B1847364863A.jpeg

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice start....all the way around

Greenblade, Texas57 and loudbang like this.
  3. That looks like a great start! Go, Brook, go!

Greenblade and loudbang like this.
  4. earlymopar

earlymopar

Great plan!

Greenblade likes this.

5. 1963 Rambler 500's were, in my opinion, a good looking car, that they ruined with a grill change the next year.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great idea Dad.
    Patience is your best tool in the box.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Excellent!
    All the best on the builld.

lothiandon1940 and Greenblade like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure my dad thought I was a challenging child during my teenage years. He never really understood my thing with all things automotive but he tolerated it. Things got better after I got drafted. He turned 100 in May and we have had a lot of good times over the years. Hopefully this project will bring you and your son closer together. But remember its his car so you might not always agree with the direction he wants to go. Good luck and keep us updated.

9. Nice start.......

Greenblade and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Stooge

Stooge

Good on you for making the effort to patch things up! i always get a real kick out of the father/ son-daughter projects on here .Cool project and it looks like he's pretty happy with his new acquisition! I was definitely a challenging/ problem kid and eventually smartened up, but i think the damage has been done and i dont have much of a relationship with my father. Never worked on any projects together, and aside from just not being interested in the stuff i work on, where hes an unhealthy late 60 something, i dont see it happening.

Greenblade and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. WOW, that is really a great looking body and with the lack of chrome it is a hot rodder/customizer's dream with a blank canvas to work with. So many ways to go with how yall finish it out with nothing in the way to work around. Get it going and start a build thread.
    Jimmie

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

That should upset the Rambler 327 purists.

Greenblade likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Way to go . :)

Greenblade likes this.
  14. Jeeze, he grew up. I don't think I have seen him since 07?

15. Looks like a project with good potential. Has he expressed any particular vision for the car?

Greenblade likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

he wants to go the sleeper route, steel wheels stock dog dish caps. He already wants glass packs and I told him that sort of gives away the sleeper status. Hopefully I can talk him into a set of turbo mufflers or a set of flowmasters. His car he will make the decision

17. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Great looking car!

I think that was absolutely the best looking year for the Rambler. I had a chance to buy one last year, but the owner was asking waaayy too much for it's condition. It's still for sale coincidentally. Congrats on his first project

Greenblade and winduptoy like this.
  18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Cool ride. way to go.

Greenblade likes this.
  19. LOL - that was my knee jerk reaction when I saw the photos... sleeper it. Good luck and have fun. I like the turbo muffs idea. Just say no to Flowmasters is my motto - not a fan of their sound on anything.

How's the interior? All there? Decent shape?

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

From that pic a minor drop and a date with some buffing compound would do wonders. Looks like a real solid start, and the fact that he wants to do it too helps!

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Head liners is good, back seat will need the Mexican blanket treatment and the front seats are gone. We will have to find something.

22. Ramblers rock:cool:

Greenblade and winduptoy like this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Those are my thought exactly! Paint is super thin so we will have to be careful.
    As far as lowering I have heard ramblers are fairly easy to lower

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

All the best with the two projects especially with the father /son rebuild!

Greenblade likes this.
  25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I can't say I was ever a Rambler fan but that year was a decent looking car and a 327 Chevy should make it a screamer! There was a guy I know back in the early 70's that had a 64 Rambler wagon with a built Chevy 327 with a 4 speed and stiff rear gear that tore up a bunch of the local muscle car guys for a while. The car looked like shit and he always ran big ugly snow tires on the back. Fun times!
    Good luck to the boy with his project, enjoy your time together, they are up and out on their own before you know it.

26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This should create some interest, it was a quick little car:)
    For what it is worth....my grandmother had a 63 wagon, probably the same trim package, there are times I wish I would have purchased it after she lost her license. My oldest daughter said she made good time on the road with it:)

Rambler.png

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That’s a neat little car^^^^^^^!! This one is going to be quite a bit tamer? Haha!

28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Great start, those cars are light and can handle a V8.
    There was an article YEARS ago about a guy who built one as a sleeper. SBC, turbo, ran 10s IIRC. Probably too much for a first car project, but can show the sleeper aesthetic.

Thin paint? Read the single stage rejuvenation post over at auto geeks website. They prefer Meguiar's #7 to feed the paint rather than buffing off the dead stuff. The link has been posted here many times.

Now is the time to start soaking every fastener you can expect to turn. Teaching how to recondition an old car always includes removing broken bolts, but try to keep it to a minimum!