Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstripers preference

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Sep 18, 2020.

1. I don't have any new brushes to show what I'm talking about but maybe somebody else does. If you take a new Mack and wash it out in mineral spirits, lay it on it's side on something white or light colored, you'll usually see 3 or 4 small hairs sticking out all scraggly. You can take a single edge razor blade and press it down to reshape the tip. Those scraggly hairs cause flaring of your line and make it hard to finish a line with a smooth point. Those are my opinions, probably not everyone feels the same

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Yeah i agree. I like my Kafka brushes, just took some time to get used to striping from the tip

dana barlow likes this.
  3. I had a box of 23 carat gold leaf from 1955 that was given to me by an old sign painter. I used the crap out of that stuff! He taught me to use yellow one shot instead of sizing.

4. Driver50x

Driver50x

Do you guys still use One Shot paint? I’ve heard that stuff is not as good as it used to be. I’ve never done any pinstriping, but I’d like to give it a shot one of these days.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep me too-Used thin downed imitation gold for sizing-still have a good bit of leaf. Style in the late 70's early 80's was gold leaf stripe about 1/4" wide with thin lines both side or lettering on tailgates.
    Striper friend told me that they changed one shot formula some time in the 90's-don't know-he wanted all of my old stuff from the 70's-80's

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. Seems thinner than it used to be, but I've never tried any of the alternatives.

Driver50x and olscrounger like this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I basecoated a race car fiberglass bantam body. Called a friend of mine in to stripe it. Don't know what he used but the next day I wanted to urethane clear over the base and the striping figured I wouldn't have a problem but in places the striping tried to lift, wrinkle or whatever you want to call it. He said it wouldn't because he put a little urethane hardener in with the striping enamel. Anyone ever had this problem? I know I never tried to clear over one shot before. It was on Frank Ousley's Crop duster car. Lippy

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It didn't go real crazy so I got away with it but....

9. Stooge

Stooge

There was a formula change a few yrs back along with no more lead in it, i think after PPG bought them. Some of the colors i have had issues with it gumming up in the can, and having poor coverage, but overall 1shot is good stuff. When i've been buying new paint lately, i have been moving over to Alpha 6 enamel for sign painting/ pinstriping, mostly because the containers are more convenient with less waste, and it has good coverage and flow without needing a flow enhancer/ chromaflo from 1shot.

Driver50x likes this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

1 shot gold size sucks, i think.
    If its a small job I often use yellow or imitation gold paint. If its something that matters I use Luco size and throw a little gold or silver paint in it for tint. Has a much more consistent working window than 1 shot, and doesnt dry in the can near as bad

1 shot used to have lead in it, EPA took that out. I have a few old cans that are leaded, can sure tell the difference. I pour all of mine into plastic PET bottles, can see the color, and it doesnt dry out like a can

Driver50x and olscrounger like this.
  11. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

I like my King 13's they turn nice and are user friendly

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When I started in the mid 50s as a teen, didn't know much an another stripper sold me a Mack oo at a car show.
    Didn't even get any OneShot tell a year later,used little Testers model paint an a number of small fine art brush's as well<kept that up all along.
    I did make $ at it,along with car names n T-shirts ,helped keep parts an gas in my hot rod.

Liked Mack-OO I started with,an it may have shaped my style*.
    Style that in the look ,can be a give away to who did the lines,and a art name seemed a big deal to me.
    My art name"The Bat"out of hell,,long before Batman<so that was not a connection,but BACARDI was.
    Less is more*,when done as a complement to a cars own lines. Big bloops of hen scratch an or more then 3 colors was never my thing at all,I liked one color best an 2 not much. Always remember when dealing with a real artist,his work not yours!!! is why you asked.
    The EZ giveaway of my own style; My longest lines mostly ended with a tiny head ,small Gator,Dragon,Bird<Eagle or Crow,Wolf, Snake ;;VS; the spear,flip back or arrow seen most often. But one would need to look close. Depenning on car owner>lets them feel involved.
    "The Bat" never would strip on primer*,it's not a finish*,so I'd say no. If they asked why not? I'd first tell them,comeback when it's shiny. If they kept asking, tell them sorry,just finish the great start your at now. No one I knew in the 50s or up to mid 60s ever thought of primer as a finish ,or even looked good.
    Unfinished cars were not let in Indoor car show in Florida tell the 70s. There were a few exceptions when a show had space left,it may make a "In Work Class" for primer of 2 or 3 unfinished=if they looked very good other then paint.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  13. The way i was taught is that if you're gonna clear over the one shot, you've gotta use some hardener in it. I've always just grabbed some acrylic enamel hardener off the shelf and it worked fine.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

hardener for 1 shot and 24 hours, but not always the case. If you have a clear that doesn't use reducer you can usually get away without hardener in the 1 shot. i like to do a couple of light coats, let them flash, then hammer away at it. Never had issues, unless there's reducer!

dana barlow and olscrounger like this.
  15. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Interesting

dana barlow likes this.