Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! Need 6v Loadomatic distributor upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '50_SEDAted, Sep 21, 2020.

1. '50_SEDAted

'50_SEDAted

Hi Folks,
    I need a 6V centrifugal distributor for my flathead; every indication was that Jim Linder was the go-to guy for this but evidently, and unfortunately, that's not a possibility anymore.
    I still have the original 6V+ground system, so any of the $$$ replacements on Speedway and the like are a no-go.
    Are there any alternatives? Can I mod mine? Vacuum restrictor?
    Thanks

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a guy on The Ford Barn "Charlie ny" who does the distributors now. He can convert GM distributors (centrifugal only or vacuum over centrifugal), or my favorite, an SBC Mallory "flattop".

In my opinion, his distributors are far and away better than anything commercially available. You could also try to find an original Mallory for an 8BA, but they are harder to find and a lot more expensive than the SBC unit.

Charlie's email is : [email protected].

warbird1, '50_SEDAted and F-ONE like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that @35fordTN here on the HAMB and the Barn also does Chevy conversion distributors as well.

'50_SEDAted likes this.
  4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did not know this; I thought he only did the earlier front-mounted distributors. If he does, I am sure he is a good source as well. Although I have never used one of his distributors, everything else he does is top shelf.

5. '50_SEDAted

'50_SEDAted

Thanks, fellas. Appreciate the leads.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great info guys. Thanks.

7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am using my stock 8ba distributor with a good vacuum can and the corresponding 94 carb with a good sealing vacuum line attached ( very important ). I also have a 6 volt Pertronix installed. The engine runs well.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran the stock carb and distributor (with points) in my '51 for 30 years and it performed flawlessly. However, when I put the '51 Merc with "heads 'n carbs" in it 3 years ago, the stock distributor had to go. I used a Mallory dual-point with centrifugal advance only and am very happy with it. The increase in performance is quite noticeable.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Mallory makes a dual point that is centrifugal advance. Dual points are a bit of a pain to gap and keep gapped, so I swapped in a 6V pos gnd Pertronix inside the Mallory case.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have heard that 6 volt Pertronix units are a bit persnickety, especially when running a stock generator. Are you running an alternator? Did you do anything else to protect the electronics in the Pertronix unit? I have heard that someone (perhaps Mallory itself) made a unit for just such a purpose.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm running a stock electrical system. No problems to report here, but I do carry a spare distributor in the trunk, just in case.

joel likes this.