Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mig or braze body panels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slack, Nov 26, 2016.

1. litemup66

litemup66

I have a question that I have to preface. I weld on bronze cast sculptures primarily using TIG. In some cases I have to weld on extremely thin parts to add details.
    My car (1927 Essex) seems to dislike MIG and I suspect due to the iron content in the sheet metal. Even if I turn my MIG waaaay down, the welds turn out like garbage, or blow holes. I also have some really super thin body pieces that my MIG welder just blasts holes through. Is there a reason using a TIG with argon shield and silicon bronze rods wouldn't work? Just curious.
    Edit: I mention welding on sculpture due to how bronze flows while TIG welding. Like spreading butter on a biscuit.

2. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'm sure it would work, but why not just use steel wire? I've heard TIG brazing works great on cast iron repair.

3. litemup66

litemup66

It's just due to my familiarity with bronze. I haven't practiced as much with thin steel (I can do the razor trick with my TIG though.)

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

Experiment, then do what works best.

Bob

5. spanners

spanners

We used to braze new rear quarter panels and beaver panels on years ago. Yes, if the flux wasn't cleaned off properly there would be issues. We would grind them clean and then wipe over with thinners before applying bog (bondo). I can't remember ever having a problem with comeback.
    As an aside I just finished brazing a cast iron manifold for a 1949 Massey Ferguson tractor with dipping flux I bought 45 years ago to repair a broken Holden block. My wife says I never throw anything away.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It’s really best to start a new thread. This one is 4 years old and frankly the whole issue on this 2016 thread/topic is the OP got bad advice.
    Please start a new thread as responding to this one confuses people as they will be answering the 2016 question, not yours.