Register now to get rid of these ads!

'35 Ford Truck at bottom of Iowa lake.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spaulding, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Spaulding

Spaulding
    from Wichita

2. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

that's crazy. but cool.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Underwater automotive archaeology! Cool!
    I wonder--has anyone looked for or found the last resting place of the Copper-Cooled Chevrolets?? Allegedly, most of the recalled ones were dumped into one of the Great lakes...a whole fleet of brand-new but useless vehicles!

4. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Wow! That's cool!!

5. Zumo

Zumo

Very cool. That ole girl's been down there a while.

6. Plowboy

Plowboy

Wow. My Grandma lived on Blackhawk lake up there. Most of my family lives around Carroll.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I never heard of this Bruce. I assume you mean copper clad. Or is it something else??

8. Squablow

Squablow

I've never heard that one before, but those underwater pictures are really neat to look at.

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I remember an old timer telling me how he used to cross a pond in the area as a shortcut to his "sweethearts" house in the winter. He claimed he lost 2 model a's in the pond when they went through the ice.

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

just did a quick search, looks like he did in fact mean copper cooled

Attached Files:

11. I can't believe no one has said "get a rope".

JH

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The copper cooled Chevy was the only invention by Boss Kettering that didn't make someone 99 billion bucks...the cars were sold for a very short time, proved a disaster, and were recalled and apparently dumped in deep water to help the public forget...I've heard Lake Michigan and Lake Erie??
    One of the VERY few survivors is one that was bought new for study by Ford and ended up in the Ford museum. It was started in fairly recent times, and was described as sounding like a tin can full of rocks...
    Everything else Kettering ever did turned to gold.

13. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

my grampa used to tell us tales of how he got rid of a "junk" ol juke box from a bar by tossing it in lake there cabin was on he got idea from when he was drunk & broke through ice in a Model A coupe one winter & watched car sink .when me & brother were young we used to search that lake for that car or juke box but we never found eather

14. 8flat

8flat

There was a train-wreck in Eastern Montana back in 1968 (I think that's the correct year), and had a bunch of new GM cars for delivery. Even though most of the cars were fine, (a lot of the rail cars didn't even tip over off the tracks), Burlington Northern dug a massive, massive pit and buried all of them to avoid future liability issues. So, the old timer that told me the story was there, and said there were a lot of brand new muscle cars that went under the dirt. Crazy shit.

15. Squablow

Squablow

16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

What? No plans to float that thing out of the lake and rod it?!?! Comeonman!! Whos with me...Huah!

17. I know where there are at least 2 late 40s sedans in a lake north of Peterborough, Ontario.

My father's hunt camp is only accessible by water so they used to drive the camp cars over the ice in the winter. They lost one through the ice one year so they decided they should barge them in the summer... then they lost one off the barge one summer so they decided that maybe they shouldn't drink so much.

18. Cool story.
    I don't know the actual details, but there was a story where this person went missing in the 50's or 60's in Seaford, Delaware and when construction began on a bridge in early 90's a car was found under water and it ended being owned by the person that was missing years ago. I think it was a cadillac. Does this story sound familiar to anyone?

19. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Isn't that how all hunting stories end?:D

20. Rusty

Rusty

Too Cool!!! thanks for sharing.

21. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

actually, right north of my house in kenosha wisconsin a boat filled with models a's coming from detroit in the 20's sank in the harbor. so sitting down below the harbor are about 50 20's model a's.

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

Boji used to my summer haven when I was young , we boated all day
    had fun at the Regal Beagle at night -- Many wild stories, always heard there was a stuff under water , never seen pictures --

23. back in the 80's when i used to do a lot of scuba diving , me and some buddies were diving on a liitle lake by garrison ,mn. a guy comes out in a boat and tells us he dropped a `57 ford f-100 through the ice in 1961 and could we look for it? he lined us up with some landmarks from shore..and after about 1/2 hour of searching was able to locate it. it actually was in good shape.

we always talked about bringing it up , but never got around to it

24. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

wow gramps used to tell us this story also but we thought he made it up bout the whole boat of fords going down

25. Muttley

Muttley

From the website:

I'm guessing the guy who wrote that isnt a HAMB'er.

26. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Already got a good stance - the next thing in rat rods -seaweed!

27. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

Hey! I've spent some time at the Regal Beagle too! I had never heard about the old truck droppen into the lake.

My uncle had a cabin up north of Ely and used to get rid of his old boats by sinking them in the bay.

My brother is a scuba diver and he said there is some weird shit in the lakes of MN.

Hotrodderman

28. j-dogg

j-dogg

Wow, I live in the area and never heard of it. Might be time for a swim.:D

29. Muttley

Muttley

Next time you stop in say hi to Mr. Roper for me.

30. Bazooka

Bazooka

I bet theres alot of people that would consider that a bad ass "rat rod" :rolleyes: haha....