Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wax and Grease Remover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I use a lot of wax and grease remover on my projects after the metal work is done and before priming. Every time I use it ,it smells like mineral spirits. I looked on the can and it is indeed mineral spirits and a few other chemicals. I am paying about 35 bucks a gallon for the cleaner from Summit but can get a gallongof mineral spirits locally for about 12 bucks.
    Has anyone used plain mineral spirits for wax and grease remover ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

takes me several years to go through a gallon of the stuff....hmmm...maybe I don't use enough?

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

You might be over using it, goes on a rag and wipe off with a clean rag , panel at a time.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I use U-POL. Don't care what it costs...it works. Mineral spirits makes a good parts leaning solvent (stinks) but, not any good for auto paint work in my opinion.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. Yeah I'd use plain ol lacquer thinner before I'd use straight mineral spirits. The brand of pre-clean i use has more of an alcohol smell to it. When i was younger I'd wet my paper towels with water and pour a shot of enamel reducer on there too, then wring it out and clean away. Never had a problem.

jimmy six and olscrounger like this.
  6. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Must be nice working with metal with wax and grease to be removed ... I do not know how that is. :rolleyes:

7. squirrel

squirrel

It's just any metal that I've touched, really.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

0921201716.jpg
    Just don't laugh to hard and spill your drink ... I did this today and right now need to be cleaning my hvlp gun instead of posting. I just wiped with lacquer thinner before spraying and think it came out fine.
    I just needed to cover bare metal. quit fighting returning rust.
    Only problems I saw was a few 2 or 3 spatters that came out of the gun and left a bugger ...I did drag the hose into the doors twice while priming the back of cab.
    I did not see anything come from the metal through the primer that would effect the top coat.

I am just agreeing with Loyd. Wiping the metal with lacquer thinner and base coat of primer looks great. Now let the bodywork begin.

9. Ammonia based cleaners work well also, I’ve used plain old windex before

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How much does it cost to strip it and repaint it if it doesn`t work ?

Bugguts and squirrel like this.
  11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I've tried mineral spirits to clean sanded, uncatalyzed primer and the primer came off on the paper towel. Wax and grease remover works OK.

Gary

12. Bugguts

Bugguts

I’ve been spraying for a long time. My time and materials are way too costly to cut corners and save a few bucks on grease and wax remover.
    The base coat for the car I painted last month cost $879. Not counting reducer, clear and it’s hardener.
    Grease and wax remover is the cheapest chemical in my arsenal.
    I would never scrimp on an essential chemical or step.

loudbang, lippy and guthriesmith like this.