Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Schroeder box w/Schrillo power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alchemy, Sep 18, 2020.

1. alchemy

alchemy

I recently bought a Schroeder sprint box from @tractorguy. But this one is different than any I've ever seen before. It has an early add-on power adapter made by Schrillo. Alan had done a bit of research on the power adapter, and said they were found troublesome and twitchy at times. When I Googled the name I found a court case where a guy had a Schrillo power box (not a Schroeder type) added to his Ford Bronco, crashed it, was seriously injured, and it ended up in a lawsuit.

I'll probably remove the power unit and adapt a speed ratio quickener, kinda like Schroeder did themselves in the later years for the hot rod market. But in the meantime, here's some photos of this oddity for your perusal:

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

loudbang and kadillackid like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Interesting. Not sure I seen that one before , either .

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

loudbang likes this.
  4. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I ran a Schroeder power box that as I recall looked just like that one in a sprint car in 1980. Bought it from a guy that had totaled his car a year or two before. The box worked perfectly all season. I won the local and state championships that year. Sold the car the next winter and don't know where the box is now.

tractorguy and loudbang like this.

5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Alchemy, I'd be interested in that power assist unit if you're not going to use it. I'm gathering parts to build a modified roadster and I think that would be a cool addition to the 8 to 1 Schroeder box I have waiting for the project.
    If you want to sell it, send me a pm.

loudbang likes this.
  6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

very similar to the Char-Lynn unit we ran on many sprint car boxes-and,yes,they did have a different feel to them! The Char-Lynn was made to put power steering on Ag equipment,tractors etc. One of the last Char-Lynn units I ran had an add-on where the hoses went in that allowed you to adjust the amount of assist you wanted.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be interesting on how much shaft you have out of the main box when the power unit is removed. I use a Schroeder in my lakes/Bonneville roadster and did not have the room for doubler on backwards. I cut the steering arm in half to slow it down and have never had a problem with it.

8. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I'm not usually so lucky. I went up the hill this evening to my dad's old shop, since he's gone I just use it for storage, but it was race car central around here for several years. T here is a drawer under the bench where all the manuals, installation instructions, etc. were put for safe keeping. In that drawer was an envelope that was given to me by the guy I bought the steering from, still there after 40 years.
    Here's what was inside.
    20200921_234546_resize_92.jpg 20200921_234625_resize_44.jpg sch1.jpg 20200921_234556_resize_93.jpg 20200921_234716_resize_65.jpg 20200921_234442_resize_73.jpg 20200921_234511_resize_35-1.jpg

alchemy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Last night I took the steering gear I rounded up for my modified project down from the beam it was hanging on and opened it up. Here's what I found inside.
    20200921_232818_resize_71.jpg 20200921_232015_resize_4.jpg
    It had some really snotty grease in there and no cup plug to the empty right side tube, so that was about 1/2 full of assorted flavors of grease. Once I got things cleaned up a bit I was quite pleased with the condition of the parts inside. The input shaft is mild steel and not hard at all. There were some burrs on it in the area of the worm gear that filed away very easily.

kidcampbell71 and alchemy like this.