Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I'm Afraid to ask? VIN vs Cowl Numbers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by k80rvs, Sep 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. k80rvs

k80rvs

Why would my state use cowl tag numbers instead of the door jamb numbers on the title? Will it effect my ability to sell the vehicle? 64 chevy? State of Michigan...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

50 states - more than different answers - sometimes the local registrations officials make up the rules on the fly...

k80rvs likes this.
  3. ASK YOUR STATE

flatford39 likes this.
  4. k80rvs

k80rvs

5. k80rvs

k80rvs

I wasn't able to find much on the SOS website. Calling SOS is a joke right now.

6. Start with your local office and then your State, as mentioned you can get different opinions even within the same system

k80rvs likes this.
  7. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

This is so very true Seems like every office in Minnesota follows different set rules helps if you know somebody.

k80rvs likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

If the current title uses the COWL number (p.s. What the heck is the cowl number - got a picture?), just keep on driving it.

This is similar to trying to correct the year of manufacture on an old car title - Why open the can of worms?

k80rvs likes this.
  9. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

You can go back to the MVA after it is in your name and ask for a appointment with a inspector in the garage for a correction. Explain the problem to him and he can inspect the vin tag and the trim tag on the car. Then he should provide paper work to correct it for you. If you ever have to get a state inspection or car insurance in the future it could be a problem if it isn't corrected now as everyone goes by the vin number.

k80rvs likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been said hundreds of times on here but there were no actual "VIN" numbers on cars built before the late 60's with the numbers used as vin numbers being the body or engine serial numbers.

Scroll down on this pfd and it shows the serial number info, where it is and how to read it.
    This is for full size 64 Chevy. https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1964-Chevrolet.pdf

If that link doesn't work go here https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/

Click on Archive
    Click on vehicle information kits
    click on the appropriate Chevy or Chevy truck tab
    scroll down the list of years on the next page that opens
    Click on the appropriate year and model
    Go to and scroll down on the pfd. The top pages are usually blank so you have to scroll down a bit.

H380 and warbird1 like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

because someone in the past was an idiot?

12. k80rvs

k80rvs

@Mr48chev Thank you! I've had a crash course recently about the trim/ cowl tags and door jam serial numbers which I guess is commonly referred to as the VIN and how to de-code them. So, if the title has the numbers from the trim tag and NOT the numbers from the drivers door jamb it's ok and I don't have to worry about it when I try to sell?

13. k80rvs

k80rvs

@squirrel I think it was me! I've been lead to believe that this can be a major issue and I'll need to contact the police. I'm terrified I was conned an could lose my car.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't buy the car with the numbers the way they are. But someone else might. You did.

olscrounger and 57 Fargo like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn't until years later that the fed govt mandated that all vin numbers have the same format. States seemed to be helter skelter as far as what they used.

That the title matches one of the distinctive numbers on the car says that that is the car the title is for and it could be corrected by inspection if needed.

VANDENPLAS and k80rvs like this.
  16. k80rvs

k80rvs

Thanks again! I did think that was a possibility too! This does make me feel a bit better about it. Could you recommend a reliable classic car VIN/ serial number checking site?

17. k80rvs

k80rvs

Yes I did. Ignorance is bliss. However, I like to sleep well at night and wouldn't if I thought something was going to somehow come back to haunt me. Thank you.

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck. I bought a vehicle with a clean Michigan title. When NC inspectors inspected it, they determined that the top of the vin tag had been sheared off, I guess when it was restored. I had to get a NC vin number assigned and get a bonded title. It took almost 10 months due to Covid and the NCDMV dept. is still screwed up but at least I FINALLY got a title.

I said all that to say, depending on where you are, a correct and clean title still might not get you a rubber stamp. I would get it straightened out, however. It is clearly wrong.

19. k80rvs

k80rvs

@rockable Ok, this is good to know! That's crazy it took so long! I'm guessing it might take me just as long to get this straightened out. Thanks for the warning!

20. squirrel

squirrel

I'm curious what part of the cowl tag they used on the title?

21. k80rvs

k80rvs

@squirrel This tag is NOT my tag but it's almost identical. If I 'm decoding this correctly they used the Year, Body Type, Plant Number and Unit Number. o_O
    cowl tag 2.jpg

squirrel likes this.
  22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Another source of help, may be a national club dedicated to that brand of cars/trucks. They have been through this multiple times, in every State, & then some. Join, or at least ask them for info.
    Studes are always fun... No VIN, but have a Serial#, & a Body#; they aren't the same, not even close. I is used as a 1. Among other things. The club has documented these things from the factory, so the States have to accept them(as they have in the past), regardless what some low-level peon wants you to believe otherwise. Serial tags in different locations, depending on the year. If you get a know-it-all, don't argue, thank them for their time & do what you should've done in the1st place. If your local DMV can't won't help, then Go to(preferably), or call, the main DMV in the State located in the capitol, & find some old(est) employee there, be nice, & explain the problem. Bring the documentation & offer to show them(if needed) & allow them make copies for their records. They have probably dealt w/this before, & can help get you on the correct path to change, = paperwork/etc. There are actually some very nice & knowledgeable folks in the various DMVs. You job is to find one. Might take some time & effort, maybe a discussion w/a supervisor, or their supervisor. But it can be done.
    Marcus...

k80rvs likes this.
  23. k80rvs

k80rvs

@nrgwizard Ha! Great tips! I accept the mission to find an elder state worker! :D