Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need info on 8ba Fuel pump

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I have just installed an 8ba in my 39 Ford pickup. Before I installed the engine I did some measuring and concluded that the 8ba fuel pump would be really close to the firewall , as it were it is so close I couldn't hook up the fuel supply line . I ended up getting an ele fuel pump and it is working but I really would like the mechanical pump to work if possible. I have a thought that if I re index the top of the fuel pump ( unbolt and rotate clockwise) I would have good clearance concerning the firewall and the outlet will still have plenty of clearance to plumb to carbs but I would still have some clearance issues with the fuel inlet and the oil canister bracket, not nearly as bad as the clearance with the firewall but still too tight for the standard fuel line to fit. My thought is I could use a banjo fuel fitting and it might work. Has anyone here done this? The regular ole barb fuel fittings for Stromberg carbs will fit the fuel pump as well and I know folks run banjo fittings on their carbs so I am pretty sure a banjo fitting will work on the fuel pump inlet . Any info will be appreciated.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Can you post a few photos?

3. adam401

adam401

Macs sells a banjo fitting for Stromberg that should work. I cant figure out how to post the link with my phone but I checked and they still sell it. I dont care for the look so I personally would avoid it. I run an 8rt/8ba in my 34 and had a similar situation. I reindexed the pump to help with firewall clearance and ditched the passive canister filter. That cannister bracket could easily be modified as well which is another option.

4. Andy

Andy

There is no problem turning the top of the pump. Just remove the screws and reposition. You could use an earlier pump and get rid of the fuel percolator (filter)

adam401 likes this.

5. adam401

adam401

I also run the early pump with a later "cup" to accept the 8ba push rod. I did it to eliminate the filter thus making routing easier also. I forgot about that.

6. adam401

adam401

Fyi top is 8ba cup and arm are 8ba, bottom is early
    20190902_093928.jpg 15674358943838316750305319697732.jpg
    This is the 8ba stuff mounted in the early pump. I grabbed this pump off a 1936 21 stud engine.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

8. adam401

adam401

Yes I realise that. I was just showing the bottom with the 8ba guts installed so it can run on the 8ba push rod. I too had the pump with the filter on top which I eliminated. The later pump has no filter apart from an internal screen. I run the earlier fuel pump stand also so I think that required the use of the early pump base as well. I think ive taken you far away from your original question now so I'll stop haha. Good luck

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. Andy

Andy

Just put a 34-48 top on the pump you have. You don’t even need to take it off the stand.
    I ran a modern filter between the pump and the carb. The filter after the pump helps cold starting.
    The 8BA pump has a smaller flange.

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

No your info was great, just trying to find a fuel pump with no filter which I assume would create less interference.

11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I have a 39 pump off the old engine I
    took out of truck but it has a filter( glass bowl) , btw the idea of the fuel filter after pump interest me
    Does it aid in cold strarting because it keeps a bit of pressure or at least holds some fuel between it and the carb?

12. adam401

adam401

This is the ticket for your situation

13. Andy

Andy

The filter on the pump often will be dry if the car has not been recently run. You have to pull a vacuum on the filter before you can get fuel. The pumps are not high volume and it is easier to start if you do not have pull a vacuum on the filter.

14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

15. 42merc

42merc

Just rotate the top 1 set of holes.
    Not a big deal.