Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Chevy sedan steering column....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRANK GRELLE, Sep 20, 2020.

1. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

Hay guys ,can any one tell me is a 1954 Chevy sedan steering column, interchangeable with one out of a 54 Corvette? and if not , dose any one know were I can get mine rebuilt?...frankie

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. The inside parts might be the same. But the angle the mast sets in the two cars is different. Don't know if the steering box has the same mounting boltspread.

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3170.JPG I believe that 54 Corvettes had a floor shifted automatic so the mast is different, here is what I found in my parts book, it would be helpful to know exactly what you are trying to interchange.
    IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3172.JPG IMG_3172.JPG

5. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

Well i have been wanting to either rebuild my steering column with i here is better left to a pro, or replace it with another one in better shape, i keep seeing columns on flea bay that say they are from corvettes ,and nothing really on the sedan side,i was not worried about shifter mounting cause mines on the floor, just wondering if i could swap in the vett one. Oh i failed to mention the car is manual steering.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Could't be much farther away from you, but try Red Head Steering Gears in Seattle, Washington State.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

are you talking about the steering sector (gearbox)? or just the outer jacket of the column that just about the only thing that could be wrong is the bearing just under the steering wheel? If it is the sector I would send it to Lares and have it rebuilt

https://www.larescorp.com/

RICH B likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

uh...yeah. The steering column (mast) and gearbox are one assembly in this car. And the shifter is bolted onto the outside of the mast jacket (that's the outer tube of the column). There is no difference between automatic and manual transmission, as far as steering gear assembly.

Corvettes are different than regular passenger cars.

Knowing what is wrong with yours, would help us help you figure out what you might want to do to fix it. Although usually finding a good used complete steering gear assembly ends up being a good way to go if it has something seriously worn/broken inside, and just taking it apart and overhauling it will do if there's nothing seriously wrong with it. It's pretty common for the pitman shaft bushing to wear, causing play. That upper bearing also goes bad, and folks tend to destroy the threads on the end of the shaft trying to remove the steering wheel with the wrong method.

9. chucka

chucka

Never really looked at a sedan column but have seen a '54 corvette w/o body and my recollection is that the column is very long - - - way longer than would fit in any normal sedan. For what it's worth - - -

10. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

ty man.

11. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

I have checked them out i have them on my option list of what to with the column,and ya its the box its showing its age.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

Well a old timer answered my question over on F.book i am sharing so we all will know! ...lol here is what he said
    The Corvette steering box difference
    1 Corvette shaft and tube are longer
    2 the casting is a similar design but at a different angle
    3 worm gear is a quicker ratio
    4 sector gear is designed for the worm gear
    5 pitman arm is different
    6 bearing and seals are the Sam though
    -Papa Gee.
    so no the Vett column wont work in the sedan.

13. I have a 54 power steering box column for sale in green.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whole steering gear, column tube and turn switch and housing look like this. IMG_9590 (2).JPG

FRANK GRELLE likes this.
  15. ovejohansson_lse

ovejohansson_lse
    from Sweden

Check out the chevytalk.org forum there is an excellent guide in the 49-54 section how to rebuild a steering column. I followed the guide and the job was quite easy.

16. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled my whole steering column/ box & went with MII IFS . Took my stock steering wheel ,Steering wheel Bob restored it , got DD stock looking column from Corvette Central .Looks like a stock 54' column & s stock w steering wheel with manual rack . Runs great , like the original larger wheel . IMO

17. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

YA I did check it out and got it book marked i am looking at options cause it is one of this winters projects replace or rebuild,

18. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

thanks man but not interested in doing IFS,i like the old set up.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Of the 49-54 Chevrolet cars, you've actually got the "good" column to begin with. The 53-54 use bearings instead of bushings, and the column is about 1 inch shorter for more belly room. Also, go to ChevyTalk.Org; there's a sticky in the 49-54 forum where DZAUTO rebuilds and documents his rebuild of a column for his 51. I believe he updates to the 53-54 column also, but it's been a while since he posted it and I read it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

VANDENPLAS likes this.