Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last pic was once again sideways and don't know why but here's other ones. I ended up to paint wheels with same pearl red what I have already used. Now they look so damn good that I might not use Starburst caps at all. DSC_1135.jpeg DSC_1137.jpeg

Sent from my H8324 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great! Looks like it is pretty much done, its a shame that the every event is cancelled.
    It will be the lamest summer ever..

3. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! Yeah, it's almost done now. To do list is quite short and there are only few things to do. I think that soon is time to change oils, put some fresh gas to the tank and fire it up.

Summer will be lame for sure but did you saw that Turku Kustom Show is going to be held on august?

Finnrodder and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nope, i didnt see that. Lets see how that goes, shit hasnt hit the fan completely in here at this point.
    I think this crap will take atleast 6 months when its in somekind of control.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. brading

brading

Must say that looks real nice. Well done

6. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Yeah, I think so too that this is going to take months. Let's hope that we have at least one show this year but now it looks quite irrelevant.
    Thanks!

7. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

There were couple of warm days this week and I thought that why not to haul wagon back to work to get a final touch. I haven't taken any pics from rear because my garage is full of cars and it's impossible to take good ones from rear. Here's is one from yesterday.. IMG_20200409_062924_945.jpeg

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I was never really pleased about orange outlining because it didn't show up good enough so I ended up to redo the outlining with completely different color... _20200417_060639.jpeg DSC_1145.jpeg DSC_1147.jpeg

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

This week I got this wagon inspected and it passed! Inspection is valid now for two years so next one is 2022. I thought that why not to take a little road trip around Southern Finland with a car that has been off road for over nine years now. Best way to found out if something breaks down is to do a good long drive and my case it was over 200 miles. Only thing what broke down was speedometer or cable because it stopped working. Other than that everything works just fine... IMG_20200610_183749.jpeg

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice job and great that you were able to drive it that much

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hey!
    It looks beautiful!
    Congrats of the fresh "stamp". That new 2 yr system is great, you dont have to argue with inspectors every year :D

12. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Let's make a some kind of season closure...

During whole summer I drove my wagon about 1000 miles. Speedo cable was broken and that caused speedo failure but odometer gets stuck every now and then. Don't know why but that don't bug me so much than non working speedo.

At spring I was expecting that there's going to be carb issues but that took quite a long time to exactly happen. Of course that happened when I was in the small car show/swap and I was about to leave home. Idle was completely lost and it ran really rough but I was able to drive it back home. Pulled the carb out of the car and installed a rebuild kit after a good clean. Carb it self is pretty worn out but it runs OK for now. New carb is on my list.

Since I have rear air shocks I was already decided that it needs Air Lift controller kit but it took a while to get that ordered. Lazy me... When it arrived I installed it right away. Now it's great to adjust those shocks from a drivers seat.

It's getting colder here so my wagon is now waiting a next year's season.

One thing keeps haunting me all the time... I want to get pre -48 Ford or make a wild custom out of something not so ordinary. If I want to do that it means that I need to sell my cars to get room in my garage. Hard decision to make but you have to let something go to get something new...

Last pic is to compare the interior from 2009 and 2020. IMG_20200921_182157.jpeg IMG_20200918_181634.jpeg IMG_20200912_113007.jpeg

13. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Wow it has been forever since i got an e-mail update about this thread until now. Good to see you are still on it. Can't believe this topic has been around since 2010 already...Wow. you had a unique plan and did it all...cool results

14. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Just looked thru entire thread for the first time. I am very impressed! Well Done!!

15. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! Good to see that old members are still here to leave some comments...

Thanks! I hope that you enjoyed reading my build. I must say that this build tastes like life in all ups and downs.

16. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Just here to warm up... It's freezing cold here so let's upload pics from last summer. I made a list what I need to get from Vintage Inlines for a carb and distributor update. Going to get a rid of that shitty load-o-matic setup... _20200618_224759.jpeg _20200618_223755.jpeg

17. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last week came a new number of one Finnish magazine that featured my Comet. Made it all the way on front cover... Cool!

Little off topic but there's also a newcomer in my garage... -39 Ford Tudor! Maybe in future there will be a build thread about that also... _20210426_182401.jpeg _20210426_181351.jpeg

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Congrats of the cover!
    I almost canceled my subscription, i am glad that i didnt. Well, i have come to check out that 39 at some point. Maybe a small motorcycle trip to your neighborhood, when the weather gets a bit warmer..

19. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I tried to make a order from Vintage Inlines but that turned out...nothing. He just stopped answering to my emails. I understand that you are not so interested to make business if my order is something like 20$ but now it would've been about 1000$.

Well back to starting point and I ordered a new 1904 universal carb and also a new mechanical fuel pump to get rid of that electric one that this car doesn't need. I installed both of them this week and now throttle response is way better than before. Final tune up isn't done yet but it will be done soon as weather gets warmer. PXL_20220428_172117108.MP.jpg PXL_20220426_172634186~2.jpg

I bought also a new NOS speedometer to fix all speedo issues. Now it should be fine.

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you're ready to put some miles on it.

21. I dig it.
    Ya did good

22. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Yeah, at least few miles because last inspection is going to expire in June so I need to get it inspected again. That should be a straight forward thing...

23. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nothing much going on but I adjusted carb again because fuel level was too high and it ran also way too rich.

I have now also entered to a few shows with it and I've got some trophies. Two times at top ten cars of the show. :cool:

PXL_20230414_181057039.jpg IMG-20230415-WA0005.jpg

24. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Every story have ending so does this...

After those few shows I started to think about selling this car. I kinda lost interest to it and I also had too many cars in the garage. At the end the of the July I listed it for sale only to see if there is any interest to it and boom first caller called less than a hour after it was listed for sale. We talked quite long and he said that he will call again if he wants to come by and see it.

Next day he called early in the morning when I was still sleeping. Later in the morning he called again and said that they are coming to check out the wagon later that afternoon.

Later that afternoon he showed up and we went to a garage to check the wagon. We talked quite long because when a car guy meets another car guy it could end to a long stories about car scene and building cars.

I fired up the wagon and moved it outside from garage. He didn't want to go for a test drive even though I said go ahead and try it.

We talked a while about the price and we were able to find out the right price that pleased us both so we shook hands and the wagon was sold to it's new owner.

To be honest I was bit shocked how fast it was sold but on the other hand I was relieved. It went to a really good home so that pleases me also. He's been driving it around and he sent me a txt that he's very happy about it.

Here's a final picture of it...

PXL_20230721_141052389~2.jpg

Over a ten years with all ups and downs in life and sometimes huge struggle with this build it's time to end this thread.

Thanks for the support to all followers over the years!

Next thread about my -39 could end up here but do you folks want so?

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

bye Nomad.jpg
    Thanks for the update!
    It was 2 years ago today the 59 Nomad was loaded up and heading to Texas.
    Still miss it now and then but realistically it was time. IMG_4484.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    anthony myrick and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Please do post a thread about your’39 Ford. I really enjoyed reading and seeing your work on the Comet.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I saw your (ex)wagon at Turku Kustom show at last weekend. But i didnt see you there, so it looks like the mystery is solved.
    And yes, post a 39 thread!